Learning about the E180 RS

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have only covered 250 miles on my E180 RS so far but planning ahead for when I need to start inspecting/servicing I have been learning a bout the components and focusing mostly on the drivetrain at the moment. I am very familiar with the systems used on my Levo but just about everything is different on the E180!
I was impressed to see the spec of the H1700 wheelset it uses, with everything from rim to spokes hub, freehub and bearings upgraded to deal with the extra forces exerted by Emtbs.
The hubs are the hybrid version of the 350 with a thicker walled hub shell and oversized bearings and a steel freehub..........which I assume is a SRAM XD Eagle given the GX1275 cassette ( despite all the pics of the H1700 wheelset have a shimano freehub!)
The cassette is steel apart from the 2 biggest cogs and fully pinned. All of which sounds like pretty robust equipment. The chain ring is SRAM direct mount and E bike specific so I assume again is steel.

Driver unit is a 24 tooth ratchet obviously chosen as a stronger alternative to faster engaging ratchets ( which provide no real benefit for an Emtb).

Finding service kits, DT Swiss hub/bearing tools or even the DT Swiss Special grease seems difficult at the moment. Hopefully they all become more available by the time I need them!!
The hub is only kept in one piece by click on end caps....and by being clamped in to the rear stays.

All very different to the Roval wheels/Formula hub/Shimano HD freehub/spider mounted 4 bolt chain ring arrangement on my Levo Comp. Another hundred miles or so and I will be at least stripping the freehub for servicing so I will post on here what I find!

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Following this with interest. Mine has now covered 1300 miles and i'm still to give in and replace any part of the drivetrain beyond the jockey wheels. With everything being so expensive i'm generally quite reluctant to start stripping it down.

H 1700 SPLINE 27.5 - 30 mm IS 12/148 mm Sram | DT Swiss

the added bonus to this complexity is that converting it down to shimano hg freehub and pg1230 (for the first swap at least) is as easy as taking the back wheel off and lifting the casette off.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Following this with interest. Mine has now covered 1300 miles and i'm still to give in and replace any part of the drivetrain beyond the jockey wheels. With everything being so expensive i'm generally quite reluctant to start stripping it down.

H 1700 SPLINE 27.5 - 30 mm IS 12/148 mm Sram | DT Swiss

the added bonus to this complexity is that converting it down to shimano hg freehub and pg1230 (for the first swap at least) is as easy as taking the back wheel off and lifting the casette off.
thanks for the link..................with the freehub, cassette ( at least all the gears I use) and chain ring all being steel I do not expect to have to change anything other than a chain anytime soon but I normally service the freehub/hub quite regularly so that will be my first job.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles