whyte e180 rs

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
a few years back i invested in a small ultrasound bath. think it cost me 60 quid. At the time I thought I might have lost the plot a bit, but with the drive train wear on EMTB I think it is going to be a wise investment. It works a treat for the chain and the smaller sprockets. the large sprockets don't fit in the bath very well so either have to be done several times or I just revert to a tooth brush for those.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
So this is a weird one, looking at the spec sheet for the bike it should have come with 2x assegai maxx terra with the rear being the double down casing. However it seems like mine got the super soft maxx grip tyre on the rear. Which explains the excessive wear. I'd never really noticed as there are so many bits of info on the tyre.

Ordered a new front in maxx terra as the current front has plenty left on it to act as a new rear for the next 500+ miles. The 2.6" should clear ok at the front and provide a bit more of the front balanced grip setup that i prefer (2.5" rear)

In terms of pines, i don't tend to do much of the "off piste" as nobody i ride with bothers there. Up near cordall or down near calverton (without disclosing locations) have a bit more fun to them when that is what i'm after. When i'm at pines it's usually just a quick blast around red with a bit of playing on the jumps.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
mine is a 2020 E180 RS. Rear tyre is Max Grip DD front tyre is Max Terra Exo+.......both 27.5x2.5...not 2.6.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Yeah that's what i have both in 2.5".

But it makes no sense at all to me to have the grippier tyre on the rear. Tougher casing makes perfect sense. Last thing i want is the front end washing out before the rear starts to go.

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
So this is a weird one, looking at the spec sheet for the bike it should have come with 2x assegai maxx terra with the rear being the double down casing. However it seems like mine got the super soft maxx grip tyre on the rear. Which explains the excessive wear. I'd never really noticed as there are so many bits of info on the tyre.

Ordered a new front in maxx terra as the current front has plenty left on it to act as a new rear for the next 500+ miles. The 2.6" should clear ok at the front and provide a bit more of the front balanced grip setup that i prefer (2.5" rear)

In terms of pines, i don't tend to do much of the "off piste" as nobody i ride with bothers there. Up near cordall or down near calverton (without disclosing locations) have a bit more fun to them when that is what i'm after. When i'm at pines it's usually just a quick blast around red with a bit of playing on the jumps.

The Off-piste isnt anything special, it's just less busy. Calvo woods and Felly woods are better

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
So the casette is now worn to the point that a new chain will no longer work without skipping badly. Time to decide what to do whilst i run the current chain/cassette into the ground. I have done 515.9 miles this month so it is an inevitability.

Option 1: Replace cassette like for like (ish - 11-50) for approx £150
Option 2: Replace freehub and use pg-1230 Eagle Cassette for approx £160 allowing the current shifter + deraileur to stay on and giving the option to replace cassettes at around half the price whilst retaining most of the gear range.
Option 3: Replace freehub and use shimano Deore XT 10 speed allowing a 11-36t cassette for approx £200 but £30 per cassette thereafter.

If i'm right in thinking option 2 works then it might be the good middle ground and set me up to change to the shimano setup after.
1612103861810.png

Anyone able to verify that option 2 works without any messing about?

Last edited:

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Update: Went with option 2 and plan to run the pg-1230 cassette and depending on the longevity of it will then decide if i just keep that going for the forseeable. If i kill the rear mech or shifter in the meantime then i'll just go 1x10 deore for low cost.

Running a maxxterra compound tyre on the back is already noticeable in terms of how easily it rolls in comparison. 2x volume spacers installed into the rear shock which has got it to be pretty much bang on as i've been doing some bigger jumps and now getting more like 90-95% travel rather than bottoming out which means i can play with the other settings a little. I still have some spacers for the front that will turn up sometime this year but to be honest i've found it night on impossible to get near the end of the front travel so will have to run a bit less pressure.

Now if UPS could just learn how deliver my gorpo i could actually go out and enjoy the bike and be sure that my crashes are being recorded. :unsure:

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Update: Went with option 2 and plan to run the pg-1230 cassette and depending on the longevity of it will then decide if i just keep that going for the forseeable. If i kill the rear mech or shifter in the meantime then i'll just go 1x10 deore for low cost.

Running a maxxterra compound tyre on the back is already noticeable in terms of how easily it rolls in comparison. 2x volume spacers installed into the rear shock which has got it to be pretty much bang on as i've been doing some bigger jumps and now getting more like 90-95% travel rather than bottoming out which means i can play with the other settings a little. I still have some spacers for the front that will turn up sometime this year but to be honest i've found it night on impossible to get near the end of the front travel so will have to run a bit less pressure.

Now if UPS could just learn how deliver my gorpo i could actually go out and enjoy the bike and be sure that my crashes are being recorded. :unsure:
would yo be tempted by the 1210 cassette? As I general rule I find the cheaper the drive train - the longer it lasts. few grams heavier of course, but that's what the motor is for. You've nailed the other guarantee of longevity ie saying you'll replace something when it fails - now the shifter and mech will last a decade for sure. I said I'd upgrade to the Kiox when the Purion stops working - it never will.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
would yo be tempted by the 1210 cassette? As I general rule I find the cheaper the drive train - the longer it lasts. few grams heavier of course, but that's what the motor is for. You've nailed the other guarantee of longevity ie saying you'll replace something when it fails - now the shifter and mech will last a decade for sure. I said I'd upgrade to the Kiox when the Purion stops working - it never will.
I thought SX (1210) was OEM only, so NX is the cheapest SRAM 12-speed we can buy.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
I thought SX (1210) was OEM only, so NX is the cheapest SRAM 12-speed we can buy.
Ah yes I see. Chinese sellers are advertising them, but when I tried to put one in the shopping cart they wouldn't sell to the UK.
Bet there'll be folk going the other direction ie upgrading their OEM parts that might sell new as second hand on EBay etc...

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Dont think I have ever used the 42 and I rarely use the 10. I dont ride tarmac so the 32t is fine............a 10 speed cassette/mech would suit me fine!!

kenevo Nige

Jul 28, 2019
Clitheroe

You wait all day for another e180 and two come along at once ? was nice to find some company after getting a bit lost. Serves me right for not loading up the route on the GPS before setting off from the house. Had no signal at all come the visitor centre so i took a wrong turn and stubbornly just pedalled along then took a right and went up as high as i could :D

In doing this slightly off piste route i also discovered that it REALLY is not fun to try and get this bike over a locked gate.

However when i got to the point of photo 1 i was able to get the garmin to load up the ladybower loop that i wanted to do, just a bit down on expected range. So off i plodded soon to be blown away by how composed it was down through the rocky paths back down to the 'start'. I really got to get a feel for how more capable this bike is than I am. Slightly concerned about my estimated range i did a good chunk of the first few miles that weren't stupidly steep in eco mode. Once i had reached the first summit i really enjoyed the mostly flat to downhill open sections with rocks you could do little hops on, down over the a57 and crossing the dam to then be trolled by my garmin which sent me up a stupidly steep and technical trail for no reason. Being too stubborn to turn around i plotted the nearest trail to get me back on track which resulted in discovering what must be something bordering on a proper DH track which had some gnarly drops and with the extra slop was highly terrifying/enjoyable.

Back on the main trail and climbing again which eventually lead me around to the start of the beast and this is where my luck changed. Just as i was about to set off down a group of 4 appeared two of which had the v1 e180RS and didn't mind me tagging along. It was my first time being in a pack of ebikes and it was fun to be flying up the hills and then back down again.

Before i knew it i was back at the visitor centre and it was time to head home. Certainly need to do this again with a bit better planning (and beefed up arm muscles :D)

View attachment 45075

View attachment 45076

View attachment 45077

View attachment 45078

View attachment 45079
Cool bike , love you're orange add ons really pops. I noticed you had a lezyne tool caddy and was wondering wether you thought a slightly taller one would fit in under the piggy back shock? I'm looking at getting something similar that I could also fit a mini pump in (lezyne pocket drive 140mm or similar) . How have you found your flow caddy? Would you recommend or go for a zipped equivalent?.
Cheers ?

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
I have no real point of comparison with the tool caddy. It's fine for what i want it to do. Looks like a bigger one would fit and the zipped one would likely be more useful. I don't always have it on the bike. If i'm just going for a play around on jumps locally i'll have most of what i need in the car + back pack. If i'm going on a long ride and need more backpack space its really handy to have some basics stashed away on the bike saving having to dig through the bag.

kenevo Nige

Jul 28, 2019
Clitheroe
I have no real point of comparison with the tool caddy. It's fine for what i want it to do. Looks like a bigger one would fit and the zipped one would likely be more useful. I don't always have it on the bike. If i'm just going for a play around on jumps locally i'll have most of what i need in the car + back pack. If i'm going on a long ride and need more backpack space its really handy to have some basics stashed away on the bike saving having to dig through the bag.
Thanks for your reply that's made my mind up , for me it's about removing hard objects out of the camel back in case of a big off .?

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
1250 miles in now. Still on the original cassette but bike park wales next month so i might just swap it over soon.

For the most part everything still works well and it does still feel so planted on even the most scary (for me) terrain.

Although for a little over 7 months use i'm a bit disappointed that the crank brothers dropper failed on me today during a climb. It will now rotate clockwise freely. It won't move anti-clockwise from the original position. Something cracked and went as i was just plodding up a climb, made the rest of the ride a bit more of a pain as i then realised just how much my thighs rest against the saddle when moving about on descents and ascents.

Should be covered by warranty but i didn't even have this issue with the brand-x ascend dropper. :poop: :rolleyes:

ossiehere

May 30, 2020
East Sussex
1250 miles in now. Still on the original cassette but bike park wales next month so i might just swap it over soon.

For the most part everything still works well and it does still feel so planted on even the most scary (for me) terrain.

Although for a little over 7 months use i'm a bit disappointed that the crank brothers dropper failed on me today during a climb. It will now rotate clockwise freely. It won't move anti-clockwise from the original position. Something cracked and went as i was just plodding up a climb, made the rest of the ride a bit more of a pain as i then realised just how much my thighs rest against the saddle when moving about on descents and ascents.

Should be covered by warranty but i didn't even have this issue with the brand-x ascend dropper. :poop: :rolleyes:
Seat post on my rs180 is getting worse plus seat is starting to rip apart.? 1200 miles done on it at mo. Only broken chain at mo. Probably going to getting everything done on it very soon if you can get the parts. Cassette, front sprocket, derailleur, thinking of wireless. ?? Must go back to dealer to get 6 week check done ??

Last edited:

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
waiting on my new chains arriving then the new drivetrain can go on and try to swap the chains back over every 150-200 miles/month to at least allow for one chain to run into the ground if one snaps.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales

Question on BPW. Are you planning to ride to the top or use the uplift?
I ask because I reckon loading the bike on the uplift trailer will be back breaking, but the pedalling up will limit the number of descents you can manage. I got myself a deep cell battery and inverter to try and extend the number of pedal up runs I may manage on a bike park day.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Couldn't get uplift. So going to try and manage battery best I can. The fire road section is easily doable in eco mode. I'm riding with 5 with uplift and 1 emtb without uplift. If they have any wait to get on the uplift then I don't see us needing to rush back up.

But I've lifted the bike enough times on my trips to not be worried about picking it up onto racks when I can use uplift.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Couldn't get uplift. So going to try and manage battery best I can. The fire road section is easily doable in eco mode. I'm riding with 5 with uplift and 1 emtb without uplift. If they have any wait to get on the uplift then I don't see us needing to rush back up.

But I've lifted the bike enough times on my trips to not be worried about picking it up onto racks when I can use uplift.
I think you're younger and fitter than me. I never found it that easy getting an acoustic into the trailer, so imagine I'd really struggle with the electric.
Be interested to see how many runs you can get in. Maybe your 'tuned' ECO will pay dividends again.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
limiter will be active on the way up as it does have an effect on the feeling of assistance at low speeds. Likely to have the limiter off but run eco mode on the way down at least on the runs with jumps.

I guess i just got used to manhandling this bike. i throw it into the car most weekends. popping it up on its back wheel and making it do a 2ft hop onto the trailers they use there wouldn't be too much of an issue, not compared to the beating your arms and legs get from going back down after :ROFLMAO:

in reality i only really need to make sure i have some battery left after the morning as the rest of the group won't have uplift in the afternoon thanks to the rules brought in last year. I can struggle up the hill 2-3 times with the rest of them in the afternoon if i run out of juice. but having done some 2000-3000ft ascents in rides lately i reckon i should be alright for around 7-8 climbs to the top.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
limiter will be active on the way up as it does have an effect on the feeling of assistance at low speeds. Likely to have the limiter off but run eco mode on the way down at least on the runs with jumps.

I guess i just got used to manhandling this bike. i throw it into the car most weekends. popping it up on its back wheel and making it do a 2ft hop onto the trailers they use there wouldn't be too much of an issue, not compared to the beating your arms and legs get from going back down after :ROFLMAO:

in reality i only really need to make sure i have some battery left after the morning as the rest of the group won't have uplift in the afternoon thanks to the rules brought in last year. I can struggle up the hill 2-3 times with the rest of them in the afternoon if i run out of juice. but having done some 2000-3000ft ascents in rides lately i reckon i should be alright for around 7-8 climbs to the top.
well 7 or 8 is as much as I get with the uplifts and as much as I can manage in terms of descents. Have a great day out. If you happen to pass through Monmouth on your way there you're welcome to borrow the inverter and battery which would give you an extra bar of battery over a lunchtime recharge

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
that's tempting, but i would have to find something suitable to leave as collateral ;D Sure you don't want to just hire out your bike battery and go nowhere that day? ?

1619506381158.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles