E180 RS Bars and pedals.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
After a couple of hundred miles I think I am now ready for a bit of personalisation on my E180RS.To be honest there is nothing on the bike that NEEDS to be changed but there are a couple of contact points I think might yield dividends. So keen to learn what any of you with this bike have done in that respect.

I have already changed the saddle to an Ergon SMC and I like the existing grips so that leaves bars and pedals.

The bike is currently fitted with Nukeproof Horizon pedals which are hugely grippy ( and vicious!) but I prefer a somewhat smaller platform. The low BB does make the bike prone to pedal strikes on some terrain and I think a narrower and thinner pedal would help. I have learnt to avoid most pedals strikes now but still get caught out occasionally. I use DMR v12 on my Levo and on a previous bike and I like them so they are an option.

The existing bars are Raceface Turbine 35mm which I have shortened to 780. The rise is 35mm but you would not know that looking at the bars...........I am thinking both riding in the saddle and on decents a higher rise bar would be better. Have any of you changed bars?

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Grips - DMR brendog deathgrips in the softer compound
Pedals - DMR V11 as i expected them to get battered (they have) so wanted a pedal that would lose a bit of material before they sent me OTB with a strike, i plan to go for vaults next
Bars - renthal fatbar lite, only because i wanted to drop to 760mm wide and didn't want to cut the originals. The new burgtec ones with 50mm rise would be an interesting option since there is still scope to drop down a few spacers if need be to fine tune.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Grips - DMR brendog deathgrips in the softer compound
Pedals - DMR V11 as i expected them to get battered (they have) so wanted a pedal that would lose a bit of material before they sent me OTB with a strike, i plan to go for vaults next
Bars - renthal fatbar lite, only because i wanted to drop to 760mm wide and didn't want to cut the originals. The new burgtec ones with 50mm rise would be an interesting option since there is still scope to drop down a few spacers if need be to fine tune.
thanks mate.........I took a look at the Renthal lite but was not sure about going down to 760mm....780 feels fine to me. I really cannot believe the existing bars are 35mm rise but I think Raceface use a profile that rises more gradually from the centre to the end so it actually looks like a 20mm rise bar. I will take a look at Burgtec.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
I think that Whyte just have a really short head tube for the larger sizes. My stock Whyte (e150) bars are also 35mm rise but feel a bit low. Burgtec are on my list too. Have been running an extra 5mm spacer as an experiment. Not ideal as steerer doesn’t have lots of spare, but should be fine until I commit to new bars.
Loving my Nukeproof Horizons, they’re not going anywhere. Also have V8s on another bike and nowhere near as good. Would avoid V11 or Vaults as they’re the same size and way more prone to strikes than the Horizons. Think it’s the shape as they’re not much bigger than the Nukeproofs. Cut off corners just don’t seem to grab on ruts and Rick as badly. Maybe look at the Vault midis? Same DMR bombproof construction but in a smaller platform.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As far as pedals are concerned I have gone for DMR V12s.........same pedals as I have on my Levo. They have a slightly smaller platform than the Horizons and the same thickness but are concave rather than flat and I prefer that. The main difference between them for me is that the V12s provide plenty of grip with my 5-10s but I can still re-position my feet if I need to..........on the Nukeproofs once placed there is no shifting foot position!!
My shortlist for bars is currently is 35m Renthal with 40mm rise in either ally or carbon. Quite tempted by the carbon given the stiffer nature of 35mm bars.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Can’t go far wrong with V12s.
I’ve gone an ordered the 50mm rise Burgtec. Can always drop a spacer if they are too high. Should be delivered today, will post a comparison photo. Renthal make lovely stuff but not sure you’ll notice any difference going to 40mm rise. Pretty sure the alloy ones get just as good a write up comfort wise as the carbon ones. On a bike like the e180 that you’re going to be crashing then I’d be happier with alloy. Carbon plenty strong enough but repeated crashes could take a toll. With the weight of an e bike, when it goes down it goes down hard. 100g weight saving not worth worrying about unless while bike is going on a carbon diet.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Bars arrived and boy are the higher!
E21CF947-E343-4737-BA5E-F049E3E061F2.jpeg
EC01D2E3-3283-4089-8B21-D04F4850288E.jpeg

No time for a test ride but definitely think you are wasting time with 40mm rise.
35mm clamp area makes bars look like they have less rise than they do. Ones I took off look like barely any rise.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I tend to agree with you about carbon bars.
At the moment I am sticking with the RaceFace Turbine Rs and experimenting with "roll". They are after all a well specced bar being 7075 ally etc.
The bars were set up with the rise at the same angle as the head tube. That reduces the reach whilst also reducing the ( vertical) rise and also effectively negating the upsweep Rolling the bars from that position forward maximises the rise and upsweep. I have already reduced the width to 780. Need a few rides to try it now before deciding on any replacement.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
How you getting on Mikerb?

Had an interesting turn of events with the bars. 500m into the test ride with the Burgtecs, I knew they weren’t for me. Amazing how small differences can feel huge. Rode my normal full sus at weekend and checked bar height and bar to saddle drop. Both were lower on it than on my Whyte. Swapped the Whyte’s bars back to stock but with a 10mm spacer removed from under the stem. Had thought I wanted higher bars for a better position but the lower bars actually feel better. Felt freer in my upper body and also made reach feel a bit longer. No wrist pain that I was getting before at the end of a longer ride either. I guess sometimes you’ve got to go the wrong way to get on the right track.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have ridden the E180 several times now with the bars rolled forward from their previous position and it is perfect...no need to change bars now. You are right that 35mm bars do tend to minimise the appearance of rise but the E180 bars are indeed 35mm rise. So to be clear, I rolled the bars forward such that the maximise rise was vertical to the ground. That has made the cockpit feel a bit more roomy and lifted my torso a little when on steep descents so I am effectively not weighting the bars as much and do not have to crick my neck to look ahead on the trail.
My guess is rolling the bars forward to what I suspect is the default position has in effect made the 35mm rise fully effective whilst in the previous position it was probably only 20mm effective rise...................so yes a small difference in set up can made a huge difference in feel.
ps I note your original bars are 6000 series ally so changing to a higher spec 7000 series ally bar would be an upgrade for you regardless of rise. My bars are 7000 series Raceface Turbine R

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles