Latest full-face helmets with detachable chin-bar recommendations please

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Hi all,
I have been wearing a FOX Proframe for over 2 yrs now (only whilst riding my mtb though!); and its time for a new one. For those of you that have experience of the FF helmets with detachable chin bars, please could you offer your feedback.

I have a funny shaped back of my head, its flat with no shape (apparently, according to my wife, but I 've never seen the back of my head so not bothered..)
However, this does influence which helmets are a good fit for me so I think I need a helmet with a dial adjuster at the back (although the Proframe actually fitted very well). From what I can tell there are a few helmets to choose from:
  • Met Parachute
  • Leatt 4
  • Bell Super DH
  • GIRO switchblade
Any feedback will be appreciated

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I have a Bell Super DH. It's OK but I can't compare with the others. It's possible to attach and detach the chin guard with the helmet on but it did take me a bit of practice. I do know that it is rated for DH i.e. it is suitable/ certified for official events, others may not be so something to bear in mind.

Al

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I've got the 2020 Bell Super DH , it says it's rated for DH , tbh I've only removed the chin bar once since I've owned it ,easy to do 3 x clips , it's comfortable to wear and it has the MIPS system with the adjustable dial to tighten or loosen it , I have noticed that it does creak a bit when tight on your head ,

I like it because the visor moves up and down so you can your goggles stored below the visor and don't have to take the goggles on and off all the time 🤟🤟

Regards

IMG_20211004_140520.jpg

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Hi all,
I have been wearing a FOX Proframe for over 2 yrs now (only whilst riding my mtb though!); and its time for a new one. For those of you that have experience of the FF helmets with detachable chin bars, please could you offer your feedback.

I have a funny shaped back of my head, its flat with no shape (apparently, according to my wife, but I 've never seen the back of my head so not bothered..)
However, this does influence which helmets are a good fit for me so I think I need a helmet with a dial adjuster at the back (although the Proframe actually fitted very well). From what I can tell there are a few helmets to choose from:
  • Met Parachute
  • Leatt 4
  • Bell Super DH
  • GIRO switchblade
I thoroughly recommend the MET Parachute MCR.
Very comfortable and well ventilated and can be worn with or without the chinbar depending on how you feel on the day (although I nearly always wear it with the chinbar as it feels far more protective, and you forget the chinbar is there until you try to take a drink!).
Quick and easy to attach and detach the chinbar.
Very good safety test ratings and certification.
It is also much easier than most other full-face helmets to put on and take off whilst wearing glasses, hearing aids etc due to the way you put it on in two parts (it will also make it easier for them to remove it when they wheel you into the hospital).

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I have a funny shaped back of my head, its flat with no shape (apparently, according to my wife,

How convenient for her. She has a handy flat spot to set her wine glass.

🤣🤣🤣 Sorry, man. Sometimes I just crack myself up.

Anyway, I had a Met Parachute years ago. After a pretty gruesome crash, helicopter ride, recovery, etc., I was timid and wanted better protection. I didn't want a regular full-face because they're heavy. The Met doesn't meet our regulatory standards, so I had to order it from Chain Reaction and have it shipped. It wasn't too heavy, and made me feel more at ease. Eventually I gave it away to a kid who had little cash and no helmet. I kind of wish I still had it.

Edit:
I just went looking at the new Parachutes, and they're WAY different than when I bought mine.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
How convenient for her. She has a handy flat spot to set her wine glass.

🤣🤣🤣 Sorry, man. Sometimes I just crack myself up.

Anyway, I had a Met Parachute years ago. After a pretty gruesome crash, helicopter ride, recovery, etc., I was timid and wanted better protection. I didn't want a regular full-face because they're heavy. The Met doesn't meet our regulatory standards, so I had to order it from Chain Reaction and have it shipped. It wasn't too heavy, and made me feel more at ease. Eventually I gave it away to a kid who had little cash and no helmet. I kind of wish I still had it.

Edit:
I just went looking at the new Parachutes, and they're WAY different than when I bought mine.

I have the Met Parachute MCR. I had the two previous versions and this is far superior in every way.
Very expensive but worth it if it saves your head.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I had a Switchblade, now have a Proframe. After the first couple of rides I stopped taking the chin bar off as storing and reattaching it was a PITA. I won’t bother with a hybrid helmet again. The Proframe is lighter, more comfortable and better vented.

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
After the first couple of rides I stopped taking the chin bar off as storing and reattaching it was a PITA. I won’t bother with a hybrid helmet again.

I was looking at convertible helmets recently and also came to this same conclusion. The new breed of 'Enduro' FF helmets are lighter than the convertibles, and the ventilation is pretty good.

I'm sure that in the height of an Australian summer there'll be times when I wish I could take the chin bar off, but so far I haven't been bothered at all by the fact that I can't.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I think I need a helmet with a dial adjuster at the back (although the Proframe actually fitted very well). From what I can tell there are a few helmets to choose from:

The bell super 3r also has a dial at the back. Crappy design - the pin where the sides articulate with the centre part can detach in storage. Having said that, it is multi directional adjustable so might work with your plagiocephaly. It's a different fit that the fox - slightly more forehead room ( I wanted the fox but my frontal lobe is clearly too developed ). Not down hill racing compliant.

My next lid will be a bell super air R - they sorted the rear adjuster, added better ventilation, removed some weight, then bumped the price up.

Try on a leatt dbx 3 if you can find one - the shell sits high at the back but there is a floating adjustable rear harness to compensate . Fox like internal shape, VERY well ventilated, but those donut things that do the mips magic disagree with bald scalps.

You'll notice I'm listing non dh racing compliant lids - I have a personal preference for chin pieces that work as crumple zones eather than neck breaking levers. So I don't really care if the chin piece deforms on impact and " fails" the dh test. Perhaps I'm being irrational, but Leatt were the king of neck protection 15 years ago, founded when a trauma surgeons son had a neck injury. The dbx3 wasn't designed to pass a racing test, but it has some really nice features

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
I was looking at convertible helmets recently and also came to this same conclusion. The new breed of 'Enduro' FF helmets are lighter than the convertibles, and the ventilation is pretty good.

I'm sure that in the height of an Australian summer there'll be times when I wish I could take the chin bar off, but so far I haven't been bothered at all by the fact that I can't.

You are correct, once we hit 35+ , my chinpiece comes off.

I also remove it for high exertion moments - like towing the sprogs back up mt taylor

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
The bell super 3r also has a dial at the back. Crappy design - the pin where the sides articulate with the centre part can detach in storage. Having said that, it is multi directional adjustable so might work with your plagiocephaly. It's a different fit that the fox - slightly more forehead room ( I wanted the fox but my frontal lobe is clearly too developed ). Not down hill racing compliant.

My next lid will be a bell super air R - they sorted the rear adjuster, added better ventilation, removed some weight, then bumped the price up.

Try on a leatt dbx 3 if you can find one - the shell sits high at the back but there is a floating adjustable rear harness to compensate . Fox like internal shape, VERY well ventilated, but those donut things that do the mips magic disagree with bald scalps.

You'll notice I'm listing non dh racing compliant lids - I have a personal preference for chin pieces that work as crumple zones eather than neck breaking levers. So I don't really care if the chin piece deforms on impact and " fails" the dh test. Perhaps I'm being irrational, but Leatt were the king of neck protection 15 years ago, founded when a trauma surgeons son had a neck injury. The dbx3 wasn't designed to pass a racing test, but it has some really nice features
Thank you Pdoz; very informative; you certainly have insight into the anatomy lingo!! I'll have a look at the Super Air R

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I use SwitchBlade occasionally. Yes, attaching is bit of pain, but I wouldn't consider it to be similar to light-weight Enduro full-faces like Proframe.
First, to your question about fit: SwitchBlade has this nice feature where the "sub-frame" (which has dial) can be adjusted also vertically, I've never seen this on other helmets. Back of my head is bit too shaped and this allowed me to bypass discomfort zone. It went from absolutely painful fit, to blissfully amazing fit. That much difference can the vertical change make as it effectively changes where exactly the helmet wraps around your head.

Now bit of review for those who don't have it how I find it and how I use it: Switch Blade is very hot even without chinbar. I don't use it for general riding, even for mild jumping trails, not even in the "off" form without chinbar. I find it way too hot above 25 C ? So 80perc. of the time, I wear POC Tectal. 10perc. of the other time, I wear "true" Full-face TroyLee D3. And SwitchBlade is for that last quite special occasion where my party has to pedal at least an hour or two, but then also run pretty hardcore trails for another hour.
I need something to pedal for those hours I am not session-ing and since even SwitchBlade without chinbar is quite hot, something like ProFrame which is better ventilated but has chinbar all the time is completely off the table. Even the most ventilated Full-Face, is still full-face. SwitchBlade is not, making it perfect for this type of situation and there is absolutely no alternative.

My hats off to those who actually pedal for hours in light-weight full-face helmets. That's too hot for me even right now with 10 C freezing :- ).

But my wife wears the SwitchBlade for general trail-riding lot more. But still not above 25C, it's just too hot then even without chinbar.

That thing is almost as sturdy as D3, I would say it protects more than ProFrame despite the attachment liability.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
I use SwitchBlade occasionally. Yes, attaching is bit of pain, but I wouldn't consider it to be similar to light-weight Enduro full-faces like Proframe.
First, to your question about fit: SwitchBlade has this nice feature where the "sub-frame" (which has dial) can be adjusted also vertically, I've never seen this on other helmets. Back of my head is bit too shaped and this allowed me to bypass discomfort zone. It went from absolutely painful fit, to blissfully amazing fit. That much difference can the vertical change make as it effectively changes where exactly the helmet wraps around your head.

Now bit of review for those who don't have it how I find it and how I use it: Switch Blade is very hot even without chinbar. I don't use it for general riding, even for mild jumping trails, not even in the "off" form without chinbar. I find it way too hot above 25 C ? So 80perc. of the time, I wear POC Tectal. 10perc. of the other time, I wear "true" Full-face TroyLee D3. And SwitchBlade is for that last quite special occasion where my party has to pedal at least an hour or two, but then also run pretty hardcore trails for another hour.
I need something to pedal for those hours I am not session-ing and since even SwitchBlade without chinbar is quite hot, something like ProFrame which is better ventilated but has chinbar all the time is completely off the table. Even the most ventilated Full-Face, is still full-face. SwitchBlade is not, making it perfect for this type of situation and there is absolutely no alternative.

My hats off to those who actually pedal for hours in light-weight full-face helmets. That's too hot for me even right now with 10 C freezing :- ).

But my wife wears the SwitchBlade for general trail-riding lot more. But still not above 25C, it's just too hot then even without chinbar.

That thing is almost as sturdy as D3, I would say it protects more than ProFrame despite the attachment liability.
Thank you George; I'll have a good look at the Switchblade. I'm in the UK and for most of the year, the temperature is well within the 25 degrees, so it may be a great option for me and my funny shaped back of my head!

I too have the "new" Bell Super Air R. It is lightweight, well ventilated and comfortable with an adjustable dial.

Took a while until I discovered and dared to rip the "cage" part off the helmet in order to move it. I first didn't think that was possible or that you were meant to do that, but now I moved the "cage" lower/further back so it sits snug around my neck too. That was an important discovery for me to get it to fit!

Great detachable chin guard, but it is a bit flimsy and the helmet isn't DH certified. Bell always scores well in safety tests. I will give it a 4/5, it is pricey and it only fits my head ok and not perfect but that is my weird head shape's fault.

Last edited:

Bravestarr

Apr 26, 2019
Fife, Scotland
Thank you George; I'll have a good look at the Switchblade. I'm in the UK and for most of the year, the temperature is well within the 25 degrees, so it may be a great option for me and my funny shaped back of my head!
I'm in the UK and have a Switchblade having had a Met Parachute before.
The Giro certainly gives a feeling of security. It feels like a high grade motorbike helmet.
I have taken off the chinbar maybe twice in 2 years. It just stays on, regardless of the heat/weather.

My head must be an unusual shape too and often my helmets can slide down my forehead. I've used some additional foam pads in the Giro and it has mainly eliminated this.

Last thing, after 2 years and lots of use the Giro is still pretty immaculate. Build quality is great.

maker

Feb 13, 2020
North Wales
Got Switchblade and most rides are to top of mountain and put chin guard on for down. Hard to add guard without removing helmet. In Welsh summer I remove on climbs as too hot, ok on flat and down, but think other helmets would be too. Feels solid, some might call heavy.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Yeah I struggle a bit to add the guard while on, but I still do because taking this helmet on and off is pretty painful to my ears :- ).Unlike true Full-Face, it's not exactly flexible so you have to have good technique of pulling it off, and I have pretty small ears and oval-shaped head so...

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Hi all,

• Met Parachute
  • Leatt 4
  • Bell Super DH
  • GIRO switchblade
My advice is do not purchase a FF helmet with a detachable chin guard. None of us know when we are going to need it for protection. FF helmets are so light nowadays & many have dial adjusters at the back to suit most, if not all head shapes. Take the option out of the equation, and purchase a FF helmet with a non-detachable chin guard. Your wife and family may thank you for it one day.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
My advice is do not purchase a FF helmet with a detachable chin guard. None of us know when we are going to need it for protection. FF helmets are so light nowadays & many have dial adjusters at the back to suit most, if not all head shapes. Take the option out of the equation, and purchase a FF helmet with a non-detachable chin guard. Your wife and family may thank you for it one day.
Perhaps you would care to explain and provide some evidence for your opinion.

Al

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Al
It's common sense isn't it. Full face helmet protects more of your head. We don't wear open head condoms 🤣

A friend of mine.. 2 weeks after. Road bike, fortunately she had a helmet in but obviously not a full face, multiple fractures.

head.jpg

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
It's common sense isn't it. Full face helmet protects more of your head. We don't wear open head condoms 🤣

A friend of mine.. 2 weeks after. Road bike, fortunately she had a helmet in but obviously not a full face, multiple fractures.
Of course the benefits of a FF are common sense but that is NOT what I was questioning. I was referring to the advice about the removable chin guard which is why I responded to and quoted the relevant post and not the OP.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Of course the benefits of a FF are common sense but that is NOT what I was questioning. I was referring to the advice about the removable chin guard which is why I responded to and quoted the relevant post and not the OP.
I suspect he's saying that it's better to just have a Full Face, rather than have a removable guard which you take off and then crash.

I guess you buy a removable one with "comfort" in mind. Thinking you can have the sun, wind, rocks in your face on a ride. We're all lazy though so you end up either leaving it on, in which case it's less comfortable than a lightweight FF as it's heavier, or you leave it off, in which case you might as well buy a NF (no face) helmet.

But then I'm guessing so should really butt out :)

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
For perspective, I usually remove my chinbar for the 7 minute ride up 350 m of 4x4 track to retrieve the car - doing shuttle runs with the kids. There's been a few times now I've had an asthma attack in transit - last week it was the wattles..... I'm already at max respiratory effort getting up that @$*$$@$& hill, and for those few moments I'm waiting for the ventolin to kick in , I'm glad to not be wearing the chinpiece!

I tend to leave a greater margin of breathlessness / exertion when wearing a full face.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I really like my Super Air R. It fits me perfectly out of the box and I use the chin guard regularly for anything gravity related. It only comes off for cross country tracks, really. I hardly notice the chin guard at all until I try to take a drink…..

As with the other Aussies, I ride in high 30’s in Summer. Heat exhaustion is a real thing and I find the Super Air about as warm as I can tolerate.

For me the Bell helmets fit really well. I don’t get on with Fox helmets. OTOH my girlfriend finds Fox lids really comfortable.

I think helmets are somthing you really need to try on if possible. It’s too important to get the right fit to guess or go off someone else’s head shape.

Gordon

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand

Al
I wasn't going to bother answering your question but perhaps you have never experienced ( or seen) a broken jaw and smashed teeth after an OTB onto gravel tracks etc. Not a pretty sight, and very expensive dentist Bills follow. Zimmerframe's photo also answers your question better than words ever can. I am 75, ridden road and MTBs for years including endurance races, Grade 4+ d/h tracks, and I think I have learnt a little in that time. I wear knee and elbow protectors, f/f helmet with permanent chin guard, safety goggles etc. I don't give a toss if other riders think I look nerdy on flat river paths/country roads on my way to local MTB Park.
Incidentally, I wear a full Kathmandu Day Pack with emergency repair kits, spares etc., but most importantly, half of the pack from top to bottom, is bubble wrap etc. to protect my back. Twice it has saved me from back injuries by taking the main impact following an 'off'.
Thanks for your question.

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
My advice is do not purchase a FF helmet with a detachable chin guard.

I don't think JoeBlow (or anyone else) is refuting the extra safety that a full face helmet gives. It's just that your statement above seems to suggest that there is some other reason to specifically not buy a convertible helmet.

But I think what you really meant to say is "just buy a full face and wear that all the time - don't bother with open or convertible helmets"

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles