Kiox won't start up

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I did a bike ride with my wife yesterday in torrential rain. Everything was great. When I got home, I hosed the bikes down (with the shower wash, no pressure). Afterwards I went to turn my wifes bike on. and nothing happens.
Removed the Kiox and tried to turn it on, but it is dead as a Doornail.
Anyone else have this or have any tips or tricks to fix this?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have no experience with the Kiox so these are just some ideas !
Can you access the battery on/off switch to see if that powers up the bike?
Is the Kiox battery flat? Try charging it via the USB port.
Try cleaning the kiox holder contacts.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
OMG The solution was soooooooo simple.
I went to the local bike shop and they plugged a USB cable into it, and it turned on.
Result was that the internal battery was flat. I guess my wife hasn't used her bike much recently.
I took it home and plugged a USB cable into it for a few hours, and now it works!!!
I am surprised that it didn't load automatically from the bike on our 2-hour bike ride on Sunday.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have no experience with the Kiox so these are just some ideas !
Can you access the battery on/off switch to see if that powers up the bike?
Is the Kiox battery flat? Try charging it via the USB port.
Try cleaning the kiox holder contacts.
Gold Star for @Mikerb !
True, Good suggestion Mike. I tried loading it on another charger and thought it didn't work. I think I used the wrong cable as I used the one that charges my phone over the Kiox. It turns out that the standard USB Micro B cable worked to load it.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Suggest you consult the handbook on Kiox because there s hould have been a low battery warning. I assume the charging circuit for the Kiox battery from the main bike battery only operates if the Kiox battery has enough charge in it. Running the clock and Bluetooth will run the battery down fast if it is not being charged from the bike.
Regardless it loos like if you have a Kiox fitted and the bike is not regularly used, the Kiox needs charging at the same time as you charge the bike battery!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Suggest you consult the handbook on Kiox because there s hould have been a low battery warning. I assume the charging circuit for the Kiox battery from the main bike battery only operates if the Kiox battery has enough charge in it. Running the clock and Bluetooth will run the battery down fast if it is not being charged from the bike.
Regardless it loos like if you have a Kiox fitted and the bike is not regularly used, the Kiox needs charging at the same time as you charge the bike battery!
Being my Wifes bike, I don't see any or all the warnings that appear on her screen.
Quire often she takes the Kiox off, or charges the battery off the bike so it probably wasn't charged with the bike battery.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
OMG The solution was soooooooo simple.
I went to the local bike shop and they plugged a USB cable into it, and it turned on.
Result was that the internal battery was flat. I guess my wife hasn't used her bike much recently.
I took it home and plugged a USB cable into it for a few hours, and now it works!!!
I am surprised that it didn't load automatically from the bike on our 2-hour bike ride on Sunday.
it should charge and be powered from the bike - so I suspect you have another problem if that isnt happening.

It will run for approx 1-2 hours on its own (fully charged) power supply.

I had a 550 error on my motor - which I think is a short circuit error , and when this happens, the motor stops sending power to the kiox. It'll still run on its own power for a bit.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Hmmmmmm, I think I found the problem. But not the solution.
After loading up the Kiox on Tuesday, I checked it several times during the week, and it always turned on. Then on Saturday night, I woke up in the middle of the night, and saw that the Kiox was running.
I tried turning it off, and it automatically turned on again.
Funny thing on the display, on the first screen where it shows the power level of your bike battery and phone if connected, it was showing the phone battery, with a charging symbol in it and kiox written under it, even though nothing was connected.
It ran till the battery was dead.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hmmmmmm, I think I found the problem. But not the solution.
After loading up the Kiox on Tuesday, I checked it several times during the week, and it always turned on. Then on Saturday night, I woke up in the middle of the night, and saw that the Kiox was running.
I tried turning it off, and it automatically turned on again.
Funny thing on the display, on the first screen where it shows the power level of your bike battery and phone if connected, it was showing the phone battery, with a charging symbol in it and kiox written under it, even though nothing was connected.
It ran till the battery was dead.
A short circuit in the USB socket ? or something in there ?

Or maybe ..... its become self aware and wanted to go for a ride ?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Probably the second option! :eek:
Damn, it just did it again. I managed to get a film of it as evidence

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
sounds like the kiox is broken, I suspect its got moisture in it. See if you can leave it inside a jar of rice in a warm place for a few days, you might get lucky and be able to dry it out.

My first kiox failed due to moisture, now I have the USB port rubber cover taped closed using electrical insulation tape, plus tape over the two buttons on its replacement unit. the new one has been fine.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I have had a problem with mine (also after a rainy ride). It went crazy looping on and off . Funny thing, despite that the bike/motor still worked stuck in tour mode. It was replaced under warranty.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles