Kiox - Display too cold, Display overheating - Now won't turn on

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have a Bosch Gen 4 with Kiox display.

Cleaned the bike after a ride yesterday and just before I put it away I turned the display on and it came up with a message like 'Display too cold - switching off', and turned itself off.
It started up fine straight after, quick pedal up the street to make sure everythings ok.

Today I've just gone out and put in my battery that has been charging inside.
Kiox display powered on and straight away I had the message 'Kiox display overheating - switching off'.

Now it won't turn on at all :(

I've tried holiding the power button down to restart it but it doesn't do anything with the battery in or out...
The bike was in my unheated garage last night (without battery) and it was fairly cool this morning when I got it out (7-8degC), not sure that should make any difference though. I've brought it into the house to see if it's any better after warming up a bit.

Any idea's?

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
It will randomly switch itself on sometimes when I plug the unit back into it's mount/connector's, but the buttons are still doing nothing.
Managed to get a photo of the error message before it switched off.

Mondraker too cold.jpg

The bike distributor are now putting a claim in with Bosch, so I'll hopefully have a replacement soon.

zurtvortex

Aug 29, 2019
Wales
I had the new Nyon (MR21) display which, after only two days use, didn't say it was overheating but became very hot to the touch then switched itself off having first disabled the drive unit. The bike (Trek) is currently in its 4th week at my LBS waiting for replacement drive unit and display from Bosch UK. Frustrating!

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
@zurtvortex 4 weeks! Sorry to hear that.

It's really frustrating. I've had the bike 2 months now and the handlebar controller has already failed in that time too. I took tomorrow off work to go riding, looks like I'll be on the pedal bike...
I'm hoping Bosch will just see my pics/vid and just send a new unit out, not sure if the new UK lockdown is going to slow things down, or if the distributors are even going to be working today to contact Bosch?

zurtvortex

Aug 29, 2019
Wales
I've just spoken to my LBS (who are continuing to work as normal) only to find the guy who does the warranty repairs is on leave this week so make that 5 weeks! Fortunately, it isn't my only eBike so I'm still mobile.

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
I’m going to add this Kiox error of ‘being too cold to operate‘ to my vast repertoire of excuses NOT to ride in winter ☺️

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
So when you switch mine on it says,'kiox overheated, the device shuts down for safety reasons'. Then it shuts down. And this keeps repeating.

It does it when the kiox is in the cradle, out of the cradle, makes no difference. The kiox itself is not hot or even warm. It was fine earlier today.

Bloody annoying I had to go out on my normal bike!
IMG_20201112_204027.jpg

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Right - cant be bothered to wait an indeterminate number of weeks for bosch and my local bosch dealer to replace the screen, so I've ordered a new kiox kit. I'll get the old screen replaced by bosch under warranty in their own sweet time, then get the warranty replacement sold on ebay when it arrives.

So if anyone wants a kiox retrofit kit in a few weeks time, let me know.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
So I ordered a new kiox display, and fitted it, the bike is all back up and running again now. The bike shop suspect that the old kiox has got water in it somehow.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Thanks for sharing, I did wonder when Yorkshire89 started this thread if it’s due to water making its way into the display somewhere and triggering the error messages ie it’s not to hot or to cold, rather the sensor that triggers that alert is being triggered by the water ?.

I guess we all need to be careful with these displays and washing/rain...

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thanks for sharing, I did wonder when Yorkshire89 started this thread if it’s due to water making its way into the display somewhere and triggering the error messages ie it’s not to hot or to cold, rather the sensor that triggers that alert is being triggered by the water ?.

I guess we all need to be careful with these displays and washing/rain...
I think the little rubber USB port cover is too easy to either not close fully, or it works its way loose over time. Either way, on the new display I'm taping the cover shut with insulation tape.

You shouldn't need to be careful with water around them imo, it's a mountain bike so its going to get soaked. My bike was never jetwashed, just washed with a hosepipe, and used in the rain as normal in the UK.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi All,

Just to update - The display went back to Silverfish (Mondraker Distributor) who ran some diagnostics and sent the report off to Bosch.
Bosch accepted the unit was faulty and sent out a replacement, bike is back up and running!

When washing the bike I've avoided hosing the display and controller, but do give them a wipe with a damp cloth.
I might buy one of those silicone covers to hopefully keep water out in future. I do have to constantly wipe mud off the screen this time of year...

It's probably worth buying a second display/controller incase anything similar happens if I'm away on a biking trip.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Hi All,

Just to update - The display went back to Silverfish (Mondraker Distributor) who ran some diagnostics and sent the report off to Bosch.
Bosch accepted the unit was faulty and sent out a replacement, bike is back up and running!

When washing the bike I've avoided hosing the display and controller, but do give them a wipe with a damp cloth.
I might buy one of those silicone covers to hopefully keep water out in future. I do have to constantly wipe mud off the screen this time of year...

It's probably worth buying a second display/controller incase anything similar happens if I'm away on a biking trip.
Supose display fault is a rare event aldo sh$%& apens, but they could apen with lots of thinks. Maybe a good idea to put a strap to minimise the risk off losing it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles