Kielder Mash-Up Saturday 4th September .

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
At the request of Tubby G and his girlfreind..a route which showcases some of the best bits of trail mixing up sections of The Lonesome Pine ( red ), Deadwater ( red ) and the full Osprey Trail inc.Osprey Chick ( blue )
A great mix of singletrack trails with some link up sections on forest roads totalling approx 23-30miles and no more than 3000ft climbing ..dependant on what we do on the day .
Stairway to Heaven ( wooden boardwalk) on the Lonesome Pine trail is a no-go in anything from slightly damp to wet conditions ..but on a dry clear day is a no brainer for the view..
Meet up at 10.00am on the day ..starting point to be sent on a private message to those who confirm .
Tubby G & partner, EMF & myself confirmed ..look forward to meeting anyone else who wishes to join us on a route you are sure to enjoy ..?
Please add your name below ..

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Ive also heard from Phil who is " away" next weekend ..but will be in touch if things change ..
Im seeing Jaco today as well as EMF on a different Kielder ride ..so will ask if he intends joining ..

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Let us know what you think ..the road section is a bit of a PITA..but worth it for the Bolts Law hill itself ..?
We really enjoyed Bolts law on Wednesday, had a little explore in Slaley forest and covered a total of almost 30 mile after getting a little lost.
We both only have 504wh batteries so just to say made in back to the van with red lights flashing

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
We really enjoyed Bolts law on Wednesday, had a little explore in Slaley forest and covered a total of almost 30 mile after getting a little lost.
We both only have 504wh batteries so just to say made in back to the van with red lights flashing
You could spend a day in Slaley Forest as there are loads of trails to explore ..really pleased you enjoyed it ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
This is mainly for @Tubby G but also applies for any one else wishing to join us at this late stage ...
If you are travelling north on the A68 ..keep going until you get to the B6320..which is beyond West Woodburn (your satnav might take you this way anyway ? ) ignore any prompts to take you through Bellingham .
Turn left and follow the signs for Kielder from here
Screenshot_20210901-131525_ViewRanger.jpg

After passing Hareshaw Head take the next available right turn ..
Screenshot_20210901-131708_ViewRanger.jpg

Follow this road to a T-Junction just outside Greenhaugh and turn left then follow the road all the way to Kielder ..
This route although slightly longer avoids some almost singletrack lanes ..and the road is much wider..
The alternative is putting your car at risk of tourists who dont know the road and risking a repair bill as they take corners blind on your side of the road forcing you off into deep ruts ...in much the same way as my car suffered on Sunday and is now having its near side alloys re-rolled to make them round again ?..oh and 4 new tyres ..never mind though its only money ..??

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Cheers Hodge. I enjoy your old school directions! I’m one of the tourist types that just punches the postcode into my sat nav and drives insanely fast around blind corners, sending the locals into ditches & ruts and ruining their alloy wheels ?

I have slight range anxiety already about Saturday! 3000ft and 30 miles will test my limits. I finished 24 miles and 2000ft of climbing on Monday with 5 mile range and one bar, but I still can’t operate my dropper post lever with my thumb so was climbing hills inefficiently in EMTB mode with my saddle low and knees knocking my chin on every pedal stroke! I’m sure we’ll be ok though ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
That was the maximum range / climbing we would do ..
To be honest I can adjust things on the day if things are looking a little twitchy ..so dont panic ..?
P.s ..Where were you on Sunday at about 10.30 am ...?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Given T'G's range anxiety we will do a route which is just over 23miles / 2600ft climbing ..it cuts out the very start of the ride which takes in the boardwalk section ..but that could be added on at the end if there is any range left ..
We could possibly have another rider joining us @philmedomsley ..but that will be a late decision this evening should things work out ..
Possibly 6 riders then ..weather looks overcast but only 10% chance of rain ..

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Well..the weather forecast remains the same ..so how come the ground is damp ?
It definitely rules out the boardwalk section on The Lonesome Pine Trail unless we get a heatwave & a Sierra wind ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Really enjoyed today ..met some great new folks ..as well as some old trustys ..
Thanks to TG & L , Phil & N..EMF & Jaco ( havent used real names as Im not sure if they would want me to ?.)
For the second week running I forgot to record the track !
Only a few yds short of 24 miles according to TG ..roughly 2600ft ascent..
Pics in pic of the day..not many taken today ..too busy chatting ..

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Really enjoyed today ..met some great new folks ..as well as some old trustys ..
Thanks to TG & L , Phil & N..EMF & Jaco ( havent used real names as Im not sure if they would want me to ?.)

Thanks for organising Hodge, a fantastic day out and great to meet you all

3000ft elevation according to my Strava

65DC0406-1231-4F76-B50B-4E2250535689.jpeg

Got to clean the bikes now, they’re filthy ???

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Thanks for organising Hodge, a fantastic day out and great to meet you all

3000ft elevation according to my Strava

View attachment 70713
Got to clean the bikes now, they’re filthy ???
A great ride out today Mr Hodge, good to meet new riders….a special thanks to Jako for his help in fixing my chain…….until next time mate Thanks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles