Kenevo SL Kenevo SL Issue

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My handlebar remote has started playing up today. I was riding the first trail and I heard a beep. I hadn’t touched the remote at this point. When I got to the bottom of the trail I saw that the screen had changed so I tried to change it back but the button did nothing. Then I tried to change the mode but the plus and minus buttons also did nothing. I tried the age old IT trick of turning it off and on again but the buttons still didn’t work. I carried on in Trial mode for an hour or so until I needed Turbo for a particularly nasty climb. I tried turning it off and on again but the buttons still weren’t working I used Mission Control to change the mode at start up to Turbo and carried on riding. When I did the climb a second time I tried the buttons again and the mode buttons were now working but the screen and walk assist weren’t. I also started getting a motor error and intermittent assist that cleared if I went up and down the modes. Last run of the day and the speed reading is zero but I’m still getting assist. Back home, bike clean, buttons tried, bike ridden. Mode buttons and speed display work but screen and walk assist buttons still non functional.

Anyone got any bright ideas what’s going on?

Incidently, the answer is not “just fit a OneUp 150 post” 😂

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’ve been told by someone who knows what he’s talking about that the most likely cause is water ingress to the remote control. Warranty job.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
When I did the climb a second time I tried the buttons again and the mode buttons were now working but the screen and walk assist weren’t.

Mode buttons and speed display work but screen and walk assist buttons still non functional.
I'm still not 100% clear on what you mean here ? Which is not helping with the prognosis . How can the speed display work (on the screen) yet the screen not work ? I know you're a long time forum member, but you like chips and beer so your fingers might be slipping when typing ... :)

Within the Specialized warranty terms under 6.3.7 it clearly states that "Warranty cover does not extend to water ingress through perspiration on our 'lightweight' bike range, this falls under the category of 'User Negligence" as they should have purchased a Full Fat bike."

If it helps and/or makes you feel any better about things in general, I've just kicked off the evening with a lovely tasting bottle of 10% abbey beer.

1640973512171.png

Edit .. P.S .. I take it the oneup 150 post didn't fix the problem .. :)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I’ve been told by someone who knows what he’s talking about that the most likely cause is water ingress to the remote control. Warranty job.
seems pretty obvious despite @Zimmerframe 's attempt to complicate the issue due (probably) to a drunken haze ( I'm told half a very small bottle is his alcohol tolerance limit!)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The button that switches what the display shows doesn't work, the screen works.
As in the one on the handlebar controller ? - which was previously known as the "Turbo" button as they never really came up with a better use for it at the time other than to shortcut straight to Turbo ? - which would point more to the controller being faulty.

You could tape a slit bag of rice around it until next year if you can't dry it out in a more convenient way.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Zimm just really wants a Kenevo SL and this is his way of feeling part of the team.

As for OP issues, my guess would be replace the controller. Had a similar issues with the Gen 1 Kenevo controller playing up and a replacement sorted that out. You could also check the motor end of the controller cable and make sure it’s not loose, dirty or damaged.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
If it were me I'd try the bike without the remote connected to rule it out, if all ok stick the remote on radiator for a bit to dry out then re try.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
As you've tried the IT fix and it didn't work, have you tried the technician fix? The technical tap is a great option...not so hard as to break anything but just enough to illicit a reasonable swear word and a solid dressing down could garner positive results. If that doesn't work it's best to take it back to the shop ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles