Kenevo Gen1 2021 Turbo Kenevo headset issue?

Fourth_Floor

Sep 13, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hello! I've recently purchased a brand new, left over 2021 Turbo Kenevo Expert and have been scratching my head at a headset issue I'm having with it. There is a tiny amount of play in it and upon inspection I noticed this 1-2mm air gap between the dust cap and the top of the headtube (see photo). Bearings are seated properly and the only thing I can guess is the silver split collar that sits on top of the bearing is too tall for some reason and is causing that gap plus the small amount of play I'm experiencing. This photo was taken with the headset cranked tight. Anyone had this experience or could guess on what the culprit is here? I have no Specialized dealers local to me and traveled a few hours to a dealer to buy the bike and would rather remedy this on my own. Is it possible they installed the wrong split collar from the factory?
IMG_5478.jpeg

expert2021

Oct 26, 2022
Uk
Weirdly - I had a 2021 kenevo expert delivered today with the exact same issue - also the shop is quite a distance for me. I'm keen to see if anyone has any ideas on this.... (I feel your pain)!

expert2021

Oct 26, 2022
Uk
Hello! I've recently purchased a brand new, left over 2021 Turbo Kenevo Expert and have been scratching my head at a headset issue I'm having with it. There is a tiny amount of play in it and upon inspection I noticed this 1-2mm air gap between the dust cap and the top of the headtube (see photo). Bearings are seated properly and the only thing I can guess is the silver split collar that sits on top of the bearing is too tall for some reason and is causing that gap plus the small amount of play I'm experiencing. This photo was taken with the headset cranked tight. Anyone had this experience or could guess on what the culprit is here? I have no Specialized dealers local to me and traveled a few hours to a dealer to buy the bike and would rather remedy this on my own. Is it possible they installed the wrong split collar from the factory? View attachment 100149
My guess would be that the clamps on the stantion tubes would need adjusting as it looks on mine the middle clamps could be moved up maybe but I'm def no expert.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Gap is normal.
The starnut might not be install deep enough and the tool will bottom out, preventing proper preloading. Try adding a 5mm spacer under the top cap and see if that fixes it. Of course loosen all the bolts on the top crown while preloading.

The lower crown race is not a 45 bearing so if you use a crane creek one you need the CC lower bearing as well.

Reactions: Dax

Fourth_Floor

Sep 13, 2022
Pennsylvania
Gap is normal.
The starnut might not be install deep enough and the tool will bottom out, preventing proper preloading. Try adding a 5mm spacer under the top cap and see if that fixes it. Of course loosen all the bolts on the top crown while preloading.

The lower crown race is not a 45 bearing so if you use a crane creek one you need the CC lower bearing as well.
There is a spacer under the top cap from the factory. It seems to be bottoming out on the silver split collar that sits on top of the bearing. If that small air gap is normal, that seems like an easy way for water and dirt to get into the bearings, no? I didn't verify the star nut depth with the tool but visually it looks to be set in deep enough. I cranked it as tight as I felt comfortable as to not snap the bolt and when holding a finger on the air gap while locking the front brake and compressing the forks you can feel a small about of back and forth movement there (not brake pad slop). I emailed Specialized about it and they've been zero help.

expert2021

Oct 26, 2022
Uk
Ok I think I may have found the issue - after over tightening my stem bolt the worst happened and the bolt snapped (or at least I thought that). After inspection I had actually threaded the nut spacer outlined in the pic. From what I can tell from watching YouTube on the install of these chain tool stem bolts they use the nut for a tool to adjust the star nut - then remove the nut and use the bolt straight into the star nut? Has this spacer nut/tool been left in there in error?

Or if this is in fact meant to be there then it is possible the star nut isn't deep enough to allow for the bolt to tighten up the play before hitting the limit on the nut?
Screenshot_20221027-084514.png

Last edited:

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
That is not supposed to be installed. The tool should thread directly into the star nut. It has a very narrow range and it is easy to have the starnut too deep or too shallow.

Take off the top spacers and pull the bolt from the tool all the way up, then install it. It should not bottom out on the star nut and rest flush on the top of the steertube.

Over tightening the bolt can pull the starnut up the tube and bottom it out.

Fourth_Floor

Sep 13, 2022
Pennsylvania
Ok I think I may have found the issue - after over tightening my stem bolt the worst happened and the bolt snapped (or at least I thought that). After inspection I had actually threaded the nut spacer outlined in the pic. From what I can tell from watching YouTube on the install of these chain tool stem bolts they use the nut for a tool to adjust the star nut - then remove the nut and use the bolt straight into the star nut? Has this spacer nut/tool been left in there in error?

Or if this is in fact meant to be there then it is possible the star nut isn't deep enough to allow for the bolt to tighten up the play before hitting the limit on the nut?
View attachment 100193
I'll have to check mine to see if that barrel nut is in there. I don't remember seeing it when I had it apart but I might have overlooked it.

expert2021

Oct 26, 2022
Uk
Ok so I knocked out the star nut as it was way too deep once I removed the barrel nut tool. Reinserted the star nut and bolted straight in with the stem bolt and is now all good and no play in the headset 👍 I'm a happy chappie - the gap for me is now almost non existent compared to previously - it's beyond me why this barrel nut was left in by the shop 🤔
IMG_20221027_161327223.jpg

richie_Kenevo

Apr 23, 2022
New Brunswick
Hello! I've recently purchased a brand new, left over 2021 Turbo Kenevo Expert and have been scratching my head at a headset issue I'm having with it. There is a tiny amount of play in it and upon inspection I noticed this 1-2mm air gap between the dust cap and the top of the headtube (see photo). Bearings are seated properly and the only thing I can guess is the silver split collar that sits on top of the bearing is too tall for some reason and is causing that gap plus the small amount of play I'm experiencing. This photo was taken with the headset cranked tight. Anyone had this experience or could guess on what the culprit is here? I have no Specialized dealers local to me and traveled a few hours to a dealer to buy the bike and would rather remedy this on my own. Is it possible they installed the wrong split collar from the factory? View attachment 100149
Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same issue and the same gap. No matter what I do I cannot get it snug. The bearings are in the right way. The top bearing cover and that split bearing spacer seem to not play together.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I had similar issue with Kenevo, the chain tool was hitting the star before the correct preload was applied. Without meaning to offend anyone, make sure the upper clamps on the fork stanchions are loose when tightening the headset, then tighten the t after the headset feels good.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles