Kenevo - 2019 BoXXer RC DebonAir™ 29 DH upgrade

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
Bikes look pretty sweet with the Boxxers

but sorry. there's no way these Kenevo's have 273-278mm BB heights.
Looking at the side on view the BB is slightly above the wheel axle height. Looks like you're running 27.5 wheels so depending on tyre size that's put your BB height somewhere around 355-360mm. If it were 273mm the BB would be noticably far lower than the axles and the H/A would be crazy slack.
BB height is measured centre of BB axle (crank) to the floor with the bike upright, centred and on level ground.
Stock BB height on a Kenevo is 350mm.
hope this helps.

Out of interest what size, casing and compound are the tyres? and what do these bikes weight now?

Stock tyres for these measurements I think the boxer 29" 2650kg RockShox Lyrik RCT3 is 2032kg . need Hope wheels and some other bit are less weight so my guess if the bikes around 300/400Kg more . but you can feel it at all. it face it brakes/ jumps and corners much better a IMO..

@ccrdave most dual crown forks can be run at around an inch a shorter axle to crown length than the equivalent travel single crown fork. Ergo you can run the same (static) head angle, crown height and BB height but with more available travel.
Seeing as the fork has an extra inch of travel you can run it a little longer (dropped through the crowns). If I were to stick a boxxer on a kenevo I'm pretty sure I'd also fit a -2deg headset and drop the crowns as low as possible to get a nicer BB height.

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
Running Stock tyres for these measurements I think the boxer 29" 2650kg RockShox Lyrik RCT3 is 2032kg . need Hope wheels and some other bit are less weight so my guess if the bikes around 300/400Kg more . but you can feel it at all. it face it brakes/ jumps and corners much better a IMO..

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah I know the weight of Boxxers and Lyriks. I have 2 sets of each too.
Just wanted to know the full weighed weight. but if you've not weighed it. fair enough.

I'm kinda the opposite to you in that I thought my Emtb rode way better once I'd knocked 3-4lb off the weight of it.

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
Yeah I know the weight of Boxxers and Lyriks. I have 2 sets of each too.
Just wanted to know the full weighed weight. but if you've not weighed it. fair enough.

I'm kinda the opposite to you in that I thought my Emtb rode way better once I'd knocked 3-4lb off the weight of it.

For me it’s just the way the forks react to jumps and braking hard etc feels more grounded.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just noticed the Levo/Kenevo weights thread. Specialized Turbo Levo and Kenevo Weight - EMTB Forums
This puts your kenevos at over 25kg or 55lb (with pedals)
That's incredibly heavy. But fair enough if you like a bike that heavy.

I see earlier in the thread you say your last bike was a Demo 8. Did you only ride DH before getting your Emtbs? or did you have a shorter travel lighter bike too? or do you ride motocross as well?
I ask as I still remember around 2001 when my own DH bike crept up to just over 50lb (MonsterTs and an incredibly strong build, BMX cranks, Dual plys with motocross tubes etc). That thing was an absolute plower, would blat through anything with huge stability and still jumped really well. It was knackering on sprinty tracks though and wasn't nimble. I thought my first Emtb would feel just like that old bike (it had similar geometry, just 30mm more travel). But it doesn't. infact not even vaguely. All the excess weight in that old DH bike was in the wheels and fork adding to the lack of nimbleness wheras all the excess weight in my Vitus is the motor and battery (low and centred) with relatively light wheels so it feels nice and nimble but is still super stable... I'd never have believed this had I not tried it for myself. I'd love to compare with bikes like yours, an old overbuilt DH bike and my Vitus. If it wasn;t for Boost axles I could just put an old heavy set of DH wheels/tyres and one of my DH forks on my own.

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
Just noticed the Levo/Kenevo weights thread. Specialized Turbo Levo and Kenevo Weight - EMTB Forums
This puts your kenevos at over 25kg or 55lb (with pedals)
That's incredibly heavy. But fair enough if you like a bike that heavy.

I see earlier in the thread you say your last bike was a Demo 8. Did you only ride DH before getting your Emtbs? or did you have a shorter travel lighter bike too? or do you ride motocross as well?
I ask as I still remember around 2001 when my own DH bike crept up to just over 50lb (MonsterTs and an incredibly strong build, BMX cranks, Dual plys with motocross tubes etc). That thing was an absolute plower, would blat through anything with huge stability and still jumped really well. It was knackering on sprinty tracks though and wasn't nimble. I thought my first Emtb would feel just like that old bike (it had similar geometry, just 30mm more travel). But it doesn't. infact not even vaguely. All the excess weight in that old DH bike was in the wheels and fork adding to the lack of nimbleness wheras all the excess weight in my Vitus is the motor and battery (low and centred) with relatively light wheels so it feels nice and nimble but is still super stable... I'd never have believed this had I not tried it for myself. I'd love to compare with bikes like yours, an old overbuilt DH bike and my Vitus. If it wasn;t for Boost axles I could just put an old heavy set of DH wheels/tyres and one of my DH forks on my own.

Hi Gary, I do not like heavy bikes! and am only 10stone my self , but It just doesn't feel heavy to my or my son when your riding , I know I said this before but I am going quicker , jumping bigger and overall it just rides better up and down hill then any I have had to date.. I had a Cube Stereo 140mm , then a Bird 160m/150mm then a Demo 8, we got into the world of uplifts and I felt I was killing the bikes, the Demo 8 was amazing but was no good riding around a forest. I checked out the Kenevo and had an idea it maybe my one bike does all! and I really think it is.
Just back from 2 days at Fort William with my son we used the gondola (and yes it was heavy hanging it on that) but when you are riding it was perfect even did the river gap for the first time Epic..! (for me anyway)

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
Specialized-Kenevo at Fort William World cup track
Specialized-Kenevo at Fort William World cup track.JPG

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Haha... rear wheel landed with pin point accuracy :p
You probably already know this by now but try nosing in, It's actually clearable going really rather slowly with a decent pre-load and nosing into the landing.
Haven't been for ages but I know that place far too well.. :geek:
I'm guessing the gap line is open all the time now? They used to close it off to punters (only open at races). I hated being forced to go through the stream.

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
Haha... rear wheel landed with pin point accuracy :p
You probably already know this by now but try nosing in, It's actually clearable going really rather slowly with a decent pre-load and nosing into the landing.

Yer, I did the next 5 that way but no son to film it :(.. or could be my age and the Evel Knievel in me still trying to get out..

Haven't been for ages but I know that place far too well.. :geek:
I'm guessing the gap line is open all the time now? They used to close it off to punters (only open at races). I hated being forced to go through the stream.
its open but well ripped up on the way in !

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Wow that gap looks nice! Big but perfectly built...wonder if I would have the balls to do it :/

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi Gary, I do not like heavy bikes! and am only 10stone my self , but It just doesn't feel heavy to my or my son when your riding , I know I said this before but I am going quicker , jumping bigger and overall it just rides better up and down hill then any I have had to date.. I had a Cube Stereo 140mm , then a Bird 160m/150mm then a Demo 8, we got into the world of uplifts and I felt I was killing the bikes, the Demo 8 was amazing but was no good riding around a forest. I checked out the Kenevo and had an idea it maybe my one bike does all! and I really think it is.
Just back from 2 days at Fort William with my son we used the gondola (and yes it was heavy hanging it on that) but when you are riding it was perfect even did the river gap for the first time Epic..! (for me anyway)
Hey @grayedout,
100% agree with you. That is the main reason I did all the upgrades to my second hand 2017 Levo I purchased in February. To have ‘one bike that does it all’.

Yes, it is heavier than the standard Levo but like you I have never really noticed it because like you, I am having so much fun and getting out and riding soooo much more.

It looks like you have a similar riding skill set to me and it is great to see that you are pushing yourself that little bit further because your bike, it’s set up, and the way it is handling is giving you the confidence to do so.

My personal opinion is this, we are all different, we all have different skills, if your point your bike up and it gets up all the hills you want it to and when you point it down it hoovers up all the trails better than all your other bikes used to (as that is what it sounds like to me is happening) you are definitely on the right track! Enjoy it mate, life is too short to be worrying about the weight of your bike ;)

Thewootts

Aug 19, 2018
united kingdom
Love this thread... The DH conversion ticks all the boxes for me! Velly niiice!!

I was only contemplating stripping my DH down to do the same thing.. The kenevo jumps ridiculously well, i've been overshooting everything this weekend. it picks up speed with ease with every pump, the extra weight for "me" is no big deal. It wasn't that long ago the large giant glory was tipping the scales at over 21kg.

One thing that has to go in my opinion is the kenevo dropper seat post. Because it does that tilty thing the saddle sits a good 1.5+ inches higher than what a normal dropper would sit. Being the stand over height is quite tall on the kenevo i found it just got in the way.

Those 2019 boxxers look wicked and if they feel half as good those 2019 lyriks its gonna be ace.

Thinking aloud mainly here.

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
Love this thread... The DH conversion ticks all the boxes for me! Velly niiice!!

I was only contemplating stripping my DH down to do the same thing.. The kenevo jumps ridiculously well, i've been overshooting everything this weekend. it picks up speed with ease with every pump, the extra weight for "me" is no big deal. It wasn't that long ago the large giant glory was tipping the scales at over 21kg.

One thing that has to go in my opinion is the kenevo dropper seat post. Because it does that tilty thing the saddle sits a good 1.5+ inches higher than what a normal dropper would sit. Being the stand over height is quite tall on the kenevo i found it just got in the way.

Those 2019 boxxers look wicked and if they feel half as good those 2019 lyriks its gonna be ace.

Thinking aloud mainly here.

I really don't like the dropper post .. and will be swapping that out asap >!

Longlivenduro

Jun 27, 2019
Germany
I am Chris from Germany and I found this post in this forum about upgrading a Kenevo with a DH boxxer.

Because I wanted to do the very same to my Kenevo, I wanted to ask you all about the things I need to buy for that, because I got a little scared by some blogs which made it look complicated or easy to get some things wrong.

I am currently riding 2.6" Magic Marry DH on the stock wheels front and rear and want to keep that. My hope is that I re-raise the BB a bit again with the DH fork. My plan is also to buy a new complete front wheel so I can go back to the Lyrik when I need/want to.

Would some of you guys do me a favour and create a kind of shopping list of things I need to get this to work? Cheers lads!
e.g. Stem, Headset Adapter (Cane Creek?).

Longlivenduro

Jun 27, 2019
Germany
Ok Thanks grayedout for this post! This is my shopping list for the DH fork conversion:

1x Rock Shox BoXXer World Cup DebonAir 29" black 2019: 999 Euro
1x DT Swiss FR 1950 Classic 27.5" Boost Frontwheel (no adapter needed, it is 20x110): 329 Euro
1x CANE CREEK crown race 40er series EC/ZS/IS52 | 1 1/2" reducer to 1 1/8" steel 9,50 EUR
1x SYNTACE Spacer SET 1 1/8" Universal: 4,50 Euro
1x TRUVATIV Stem Descendant 35 mm Direct Mount: 57,50 Euro
1x RACE FACE Handle Bar Atlas 35 20 mm Riser 35 x 820 mm colored stealth: 77,50 Euro

I hope I didn't forget anything. If so, please let me know.

FYI: I ran and will run Magic Marry 2.6 DH Addix super soft front and rear. Cheap, full of traction and could'nt yet get it to have a flat.

Longlivenduro

Jun 27, 2019
Germany
Semms your list is Ok, the only diference is that mi mechanic rather prefeer using a 15x110 Hub plus adaptors, this is because the breake disc alignement.

Cheers Andrés, hmm didn't check the brake position honestly. It just works very good. I should re-check though. What should I look after?, i.e. what might be wrong with disc brake alignment?

Longlivenduro

Jun 27, 2019
Germany
SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers!

Also Andres, I checked the brake position today. It is perfect, in all directions. Did you see I have ordered a boost 27.5 20x110 wheel? Seems there is no difference to a 29 20x110 boost wheel in terms of brake position

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles