Kenevo - 2019 BoXXer RC DebonAir™ 29 DH upgrade

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
Wow, very cool upgrade! I tried to get Fox 40's for my Kenevo last year but my bike shop didn't think it was possible.

Problem with Fox 40's is they are now 29"or Boost so you would have to have none boost hub and also not be able to run a 2.8 even 2.6 in the UK with heavey mud would be a push. The new Boxxer 29"RC or WorldCup version will work well , only pain is front Hub needs to be 20mm, so new front wheel needed.. unless you can find a 24hole hub and have your wheel rebuilt I couldn't find one.

Last edited:

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
Clearance, assuming you would be running the tubes slightly higher in the triple clamps to offset the geometry changes that come with adding 20mm of travel. My head angle went from 66 to 65 after adding 10mm of travel.

We are going to run full 200mm travel , if I find a problem with adjusted frame angle I will add a little more sag maybe10mm or so ,but for what I have read the bike performs well with increased bottom bracket hight. Less pedal bashing (i hope)

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Out of interest, what are you going for 200mm triple crowns on the kenevo, over the stock 180mm lyriks? Where do you ride?

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
All over the place BPW / Forest of Dean / Black Mounting / Cwcan / 417 etc. Triple clamp just felt so much better after going from XT to DH and much more forgiving to me when I case a jump (as I do all the time) its not because I am a killer DH rider thats for sure . but I think (hope) the kenevo with 200m will be my one bike fits all :) .. and not having to use Upliftand , still having a fun day out on a 20 mile single track

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
can I ask by how much have those forks changed the geometry? the axle to crown height difference looks massive in one of your pics

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
can I ask by how much have those forks changed the geometry? the axle to crown height difference looks massive in one of your pics

Think it’s the image , we are fitting the forks Friday when we have the wheels I am going to upload lots of pics and measurements as we fit. I think with full 200m travel it will add around 15mm as triple clamp crown is less with a little more sag maybe 10mm

Last edited:

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
Just finished my sons (L) Kenevo looks amazing.

took some quick measurements before and after..
Boxxer 29” forks are set to full 200mm Travel ,
BB to ground : Lyric 180mm = 273mm Boxxer 29” = 278mm
Head tube to ground : Lyric 180mm = 973 mm (Boxxer 29") = 973 mm
Under side of bars to ground Lyric 180mm = 1009 mm (Boxxer 29") = 1009 mm (stem choice will changes this)
Centre of front to to centre of crank : Lyric 180mm = 790 mm (Boxxer 29") = 810 mm
Fork angle with Boxxer 29" is around 1 to 2 degrees slacker (Max)
Head tube to ground (Boxxer 29%22) 973mm .JPG
Head tube to ground (Lyrics180mm) 973mm.JPG

Last edited:

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
I don't really understand how the BB height can be modified with the same head tube height?

I did the best I could measuring but was on my own and the floor in the garage isn't dead flat I would take an average on this build.

I am going to try to get more accurate measurements when I do my (M) Kenevo tomorrow with some help from my son as well..

aw113sgte

Jul 15, 2018
La Crosse, WI
Enduro springs come in heavier weights, but they are 7mm shorter than Kenevo springs so they change the compression stroke. The Kenevo shock is the only rear shock in existence with this length and stroke.

T
That is incorrect. The spring rate is the spring rate. As long as the spring is not compressed past it's limits (where it could break or bend) then it will work just fine. I'd recommend a longer spring if possible as you would remove that concern.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
the problem with raising the front too much is you slacken the seat tube which will make it harder to climb and maybe put the rider too far back.
whats the axle to crown measurement on the lyric compared to the boxxer?, according to Sheldon Brown for every 10mm you raise the front you get 1/2 degree slacker head angle

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
That is incorrect. The spring rate is the spring rate. As long as the spring is not compressed past it's limits (where it could break or bend) then it will work just fine. I'd recommend a longer spring if possible as you would remove that concern.
Thanks I will try that! Do you ever see this truck in your area?
C39B0F6D-B929-46CD-B35C-75B5B990C7F7.jpeg

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
I now have the (m) Kenevo finished. this time to took the bike inside to measure everything will upload more info when I get a chance , but I can say the BB was 266mm (Lyrics 180mm) 270mm (Boxxers 200m) head angle was 1.2 degrees more with Boxxer..

IMG_2166.JPG
IMG_2167.JPG
IMG_2168.JPG

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Great upgrade project, will be interested to hear how they ride after all this effort / expense, hopefully much better!

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
That looks awesome!! How does it ride @grayedout?

Only had one outing so far and its is amazing, bike feels solid and much easier to handle on decent ! no different on assent I think having the Forks softer means less arm fatigue over roots and rock but still plenty of travel for jumps..

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
To update the forks I needed new hubs simplest way was to buy a new set of wheels , I choose Hope W35 - Pro 4 and man its a massive change to the feel of the Kenevo. When you are changing gear on a climb no more massive clunk sound and power is there almost instantly. :)

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
Great upgrade project, will be interested to hear how they ride after all this effort / expense, hopefully much better!

Did the Beast today in wales 38k with my son and a friend, first outing for me with new set up. Rides live a dream very solid front just feels more grounded better on the rocks and no problem on climbs.. 417 tomorrow to check out the new jumps:)

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I think I last rode it on a 140mm marin XC bike from 2001! Definitely don't need 200mm, but who cares if you enjoyed it :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Bikes look pretty sweet with the Boxxers

BB to ground : Lyric 180mm = 273mm Boxxer 29” = 278mm

but sorry. there's no way these Kenevo's have 273-278mm BB heights.
Looking at the side on view the BB is slightly above the wheel axle height. Looks like you're running 27.5 wheels so depending on tyre size that's put your BB height somewhere around 355-360mm. If it were 273mm the BB would be noticably far lower than the axles and the H/A would be crazy slack.
BB height is measured centre of BB axle (crank) to the floor with the bike upright, centred and on level ground.
Stock BB height on a Kenevo is 350mm.
hope this helps.

Out of interest what size, casing and compound are the tyres? and what do these bikes weight now?

@ccrdave most dual crown forks can be run at around an inch a shorter axle to crown length than the equivalent travel single crown fork. Ergo you can run the same (static) head angle, crown height and BB height but with more available travel.
Seeing as the fork has an extra inch of travel you can run it a little longer (dropped through the crowns). If I were to stick a boxxer on a kenevo I'm pretty sure I'd also fit a -2deg headset and drop the crowns as low as possible to get a nicer BB height.

grayedout

Jul 17, 2018
Ludlow
Bikes look pretty sweet with the Boxxers

but sorry. there's no way these Kenevo's have 273-278mm BB heights.
Looking at the side on view the BB is slightly above the wheel axle height. Looks like you're running 27.5 wheels so depending on tyre size that's put your BB height somewhere around 355-360mm. If it were 273mm the BB would be noticably far lower than the axles and the H/A would be crazy slack.
BB height is measured centre of BB axle (crank) to the floor with the bike upright, centred and on level ground.
Stock BB height on a Kenevo is 350mm.
hope this helps.

Out of interest what size, casing and compound are the tyres? and what do these bikes weight now?

@ccrdave most dual crown forks can be run at around an inch a shorter axle to crown length than the equivalent travel single crown fork. Ergo you can run the same (static) head angle, crown height and BB height but with more available travel.
Seeing as the fork has an extra inch of travel you can run it a little longer (dropped through the crowns). If I were to stick a boxxer on a kenevo I'm pretty sure I'd also fit a -2deg headset and drop the crowns as low as possible to get a nicer BB height.

I am not 100% sure were to measure the BB but i was only measuring to check the difference before and after not to check spec
IMG_2143.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles