Kellys Theos

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Borrowed the wifes Kellys Theos for a mate to ride and we had 4 of us out riding, swapping bikes around as 2 blokes were new to emtb's. While I was on the wifes bike I noticed a clunking coming from the rear end. After having a look noticed that the bolt holding the derailleur hanger to the chainstay was missing. It runs a Shimano cassette and derailleur and the hanger has a threaded male part that pokes through the chainstay and then the missing bolt secures it. Anyone got any kind of idea of a part name or number so I can order one>
thumbnail_IMG_2719.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Husky430
Just a clunking? I would have thought you would have had truly awful shifting as the mech would be free to move about in all directions!
It shows just how robust the basic derailleur design is though. :)

It also shows how little mechanical sympathy your wife has. My grandson was riding bikes from the age of two and he was about ten before he started to give me any sort of feedback about the bike other than "doesn't feel right/sound right". It took another two years before he could provide any vaguely intelligent response to suspension tuning mods or tyre pressure changes.

On one occasion, I changed his fork settings numerous times before ending back where I'd started. On each occasion he said the result was fantastic/terrific/great/marvellous/whatever. I once added 15psi to his tyre pressures to try and coax a reaction from him, thinking he might say it was a rough ride. Instead, he thought it was great! We were trail riding not tarmacking. I was surprised, so I left it as was - expecting a longer ride to inform him. But he still rides with what I would call very high pressures for an mtb! :unsure: ................ Or maybe it's me that rides with pressures that are too low?

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
@Husky430
Just a clunking? I would have thought you would have had truly awful shifting as the mech would be free to move about in all directions!
It shows just how robust the basic derailleur design is though. :)

It also shows how little mechanical sympathy your wife has. My grandson was riding bikes from the age of two and he was about ten before he started to give me any sort of feedback about the bike other than "doesn't feel right/sound right". It took another two years before he could provide any vaguely intelligent response to suspension tuning mods or tyre pressure changes.

On one occasion, I changed his fork settings numerous times before ending back where I'd started. On each occasion he said the result was fantastic/terrific/great/marvellous/whatever. I once added 15psi to his tyre pressures to try and coax a reaction from him, thinking he might say it was a rough ride. Instead, he thought it was great! We were trail riding not tarmacking. I was surprised, so I left it as was - expecting a longer ride to inform him. But he still rides with what I would call very high pressures for an mtb! :unsure: ................ Or maybe it's me that rides with pressures that are too low?
Looking at the design, it’s similar to a few bikes I’ve owned, the axle screws and tightens into the derailleur hanger as the hangar has internal threads for the axle so the derailleur would have stayed relatively square and firmly against the hub and cassette, just a little rotation each way. The connection between the hanger and frame dropout would have been lost and the whole assembly would have been knocking against the dropout, hopefully it didn’t do too much damage

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Looking at the design, it’s similar to a few bikes I’ve owned, the axle screws and tightens into the derailleur hanger as the hangar has internal threads for the axle so the derailleur would have stayed relatively square and firmly against the hub and cassette, just a little rotation each way. The connection between the hanger and frame dropout would have been lost and the whole assembly would have been knocking against the dropout, hopefully it didn’t do too much damage
I didn't look closely at the design on the Kellys, I assumed it was like all the other bikes I've had. I confess to having two different bikes where the fastening that secures the mech to the hanger came loose. I only noticed because the shifting became too bad to ignore! I was embarrassed at the time, even though there was nobody to witness it. My maintenance failure.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
I didn't look closely at the design on the Kellys, I assumed it was like all the other bikes I've had. I confess to having two different bikes where the fastening that secures the mech to the hanger came loose. I only noticed because the shifting became too bad to ignore! I was embarrassed at the time, even though there was nobody to witness it. My maintenance failure.
I’ve been there, and with plenty of witnesses. Only ever seem to have failures on group rides, less since I started using thread lock. Ive had similar to this threads issue but where the hanger wasn’t part of the axle fastening and it lost its retaining screw. I’ve had jockey wheels fall out at the top of an alpine descent, that one was a noisy trip down but luckily no pedalling required. Most recently was a personal best and I’m pretty embarrassed to admit it was fitting new brakes and rotors without cleaning my mess off the rotors. Hit the trails with the lads and brakes were pretty much useless. Managed to save the pads by cooking them but pissed off the wife in the process. We all have our moments.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles