Kellys Theos F90 Arrived

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
First look video out in next day or 2.

First ride yesterday. 42K / 1400 Metres Elevation. Down to 1 bar on the 720Wh battery.

Loads of travel, feels much more nimble than I'd expect a 170mm travel ebike to feel. The chain stay length is 459mm which is quite long compared to a lot of new ebikes. But for me, I actually prefer a longer CS length on a bigger (longer) bike. I feel way more balanced, obviously, I'm more centred weight wise with a bike with 459mm CS and a 482mm Reach.

Rear not quite as supple off the top as I was expecting. Need to have a play around with suspension, rear tyre compound is quite hard too (speed grip Nobby Nic). I'd like to see the suspension curve, I'll ask Kellys for it. Plenty of travel though on tap.

The bike in size L is super easy to move around. Especially at that weight of 22.4 KG and what feels like a lightweight rear end (27.5 / 11 speed Shimano XT / DT H1700 Rims / light(ish) rear tyre.

Top battery carrier bolts came loose on first ride (the underside of the down tube). Didn't look like there was any loctite from the factory so I've added some and torqued them up. Will see how we get on.

Some measurements I did:
Measured actual rear wheel travel: 165mm
BB Height: 355mm

Thats a high bottom bracket compared to current trends

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thats a high bottom bracket compared to current trends
Its a 170mm travel bike so naturally has a higher BB, and in the same ballpark as some other long travel bikes. Spesh Enduro (170mm travel) same BB height at 355mm, Megawatt (350mm but 5mm less travel)... etc

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
Profiles, etc.

Don't get me wrong, i love the bike. My expectation is that it comes with the screen which is made for the EP8, not a retrofitted cheaper option from the E7000.

The E7000 has profiles too.

But yes I agree on the part that it's kind of silly they have to use an adapter cable (SD300->SD50) in order to use this display on EP8 motor. But I accept this since it lowers the price of the bike and doesn't really take anything away from the functionality of the bike.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Its a 170mm travel bike so naturally has a higher BB, and in the same ballpark as some other long travel bikes. Spesh Enduro (170mm travel) same BB height at 355mm, Megawatt (350mm but 5mm less travel)... etc

meh - just seems on the high side to me, my last few bikes (160mm - 170mm travel) have all had bb heights in the 330-345mm range. I'm sure you can find a lot of examples of higher and lower bb's though, so it is what it is.

Hows that exposed suspension linkage under the bb looking?

The bike looks fast just standing still , if you know what I mean, looks sleek and low (even if the bb isnt actually that low ;-) ).

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hows that exposed suspension linkage under the bb looking?
Other than picking up a load of foliage and dirt it seems fine so far.
BB is on the higher side for sure but for an ebike it didn’t seem to lack and stability or cornering agility as a result 👍

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Does the linkage move up and out of the way as the suspension compresses? I presume it does, does it ever rise higher than the chainring?

Rob did post a video of it somewhere. It’s a fair point tho as once on the bike and correct sag set it should make it less of an obstruction

And out the way completely on landing making it less of a problem again.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Does the linkage move up and out of the way as the suspension compresses? I presume it does, does it ever rise higher than the chainring?
Check the linkage under compression here:

When sagged it’s a little more out the way. As I mentioned I had zero issues on the first ride but still early days.

It’ll be most noticeable / vulnerable on chunky rocky climbs / log step ups etc I’d have thought.

Anthonye

Jul 9, 2020
Uk
Check the linkage under compression here:

When sagged it’s a little more out the way. As I mentioned I had zero issues on the first ride but still early days.

It’ll be most noticeable / vulnerable on chunky rocky climbs / log step ups etc I’d have thought.
How long do you have it and when are you looking at a full review.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Whats the warranty like in different countries? I searched Kellys website but couldnt find a UK dealer, maybe I just missed it?

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
View attachment 79798

NEW BIKE DAY in the Studio.

It’s the Kellys Theos F90 Super Enduro ebike. It’s make from Thermoplastic Hybrid Steel-Carbon Composite.

About the frame. Basically, the lightweight and stiffness benefits that carbon brings, but it is claimed 2x more impact resistant, 2x more durable and upon huge impacts won’t crack like carbon can, it’ll deform more like aluminium will.

It’s also built by robots, instead of manual layups, made in Europe and can also be recycled. Pretty neat so far.

The bike specs are also very impressive, including:

- 22.4 KG on my scales in L
- 720Wh battery
- Shimano EP8 85Nm
- 180mm Fox 38 Factory Fork
- 170mm Rear Travel RS Super Deluxe
- Mullet Aluminium DT Swiss wheelset
- SLX / XT build

View attachment 79797

View attachment 79799

View attachment 79800

View attachment 79801

View attachment 79802

View attachment 79803

View attachment 79804

View attachment 79805

View attachment 79806

View attachment 79807
This is stunning, just looked on their website and the nearest dealer is Dublin
Do we know of any plans for a UK dealership

Anthonye

Jul 9, 2020
Uk
First look video out in next day or 2.

First ride yesterday. 42K / 1400 Metres Elevation. Down to 1 bar on the 720Wh battery.

Loads of travel, feels much more nimble than I'd expect a 170mm travel ebike to feel. The chain stay length is 459mm which is quite long compared to a lot of new ebikes. But for me, I actually prefer a longer CS length on a bigger (longer) bike. I feel way more balanced, obviously, I'm more centred weight wise with a bike with 459mm CS and a 482mm Reach.

Rear not quite as supple off the top as I was expecting. Need to have a play around with suspension, rear tyre compound is quite hard too (speed grip Nobby Nic). I'd like to see the suspension curve, I'll ask Kellys for it. Plenty of travel though on tap.

The bike in size L is super easy to move around. Especially at that weight of 22.4 KG and what feels like a lightweight rear end (27.5 / 11 speed Shimano XT / DT H1700 Rims / light(ish) rear tyre.

Top battery carrier bolts came loose on first ride (the underside of the down tube). Didn't look like there was any loctite from the factory so I've added some and torqued them up. Will see how we get on.

Some measurements I did:
Measured actual rear wheel travel: 165mm
BB Height: 355mm
How are you getting on with it, mine should be here end of month, a lot of money not mowing if it’s any good??

protowheeler

Sep 10, 2019
England
Interesting, it's the bike made using REIN4CED's technology. Yeah, they have a stainless matrix within the composite. And I guess they need to use a robot tow machine to create the laminate blanks. But I don't think they are actually having a robotic arm place the laminates in the frame mold...are they?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles