Just ready to pull the trigger! final doubts and fears

Swissete

May 6, 2020
Spain
Hi all,

Been riding MTBs since 30 years ago and cannot avoid the itching of buying an eMTB now. I just want to ride double the distance and go higher in the mountain!

While checking models, I took into consideration the following points
1) My normal use is on paths and easy trails. No hardcore enduro at all
2) After a hard car accident (drunk dude missing a red light) I suffer from frequent neck pains if forcing some angles. I need to be as straight as possible hence avoiding racing positions. Need to be more perpendicular against the road. Looks like All Mountain and Trail types are best suited?
3) 1.74m hight // 5ft 6.5 inches and 100kg // 220 pounds weight
4) Budget is limited to 7,000€ // 6,000GBP // 7500USD

Bearing in mind all the above, I look for All Mountain and Trail models. The list has been cut down to this
- Haibike XDURO AllMtn 8.0
- Mondraker Crafty Carbon R
- Mondraker Dusk RR 29
- Commencal Meta Power 29
- Giant Trance E+0
- Specialized Turbo Levo Comp
- Orbea Wild FS M10
- Merida Eone 40 8000
- BH Atom X Carbon Lynx

Is there any of those you see being a bad option? My mind is changing every day. For example I wanted hard the Turbo Levo but I'm afraid of the Brose issues. Like as well the Giant due to the Mastro system but battery looks too small. Hibike looks like being a beast due to the motor... EeeeeK!! it is so difficult!!

My fear is the temperature in Madrid. I don't like the idea of riding the bike 2 months during summer at 38-42ºC with motor and battery on load while knowing how high temperatures degrade batteries above 35º. I do have a BMW Evolution electric scooter and pay lots of attention to that counting on its battery having a cost of 5,000€ !! It is 6 y old and has already degraded substantially holding no more than 80% charge anymore... and that's not bad at all for 6y. In an eMTB the battery doesn't botther much as long as I can buy one more for 700€ but the motor, so encapsulated and with not much air flow at 40º going up... I can melt it!!

Last edited:

Jetpilot

Jan 9, 2020
Dorset
Hi all,

Been riding MTBs since 30 years ago and cannot avoid the itching of buying an eMTB now. I just want to ride double the distance and go higher in the mountain!

2) After a hard car accident (drunk dude missing a red light) I suffer from frequent neck pains if forcing some angles. I need to be as straight as possible hence avoiding racing positions. Need to be more perpendicular against the road. Looks like All Mountain and Trail types are best suited?
3) 1.74m hight // 5.7 feet and 100kg // 220 pounds weight

Bearing in mind all the above, I look for All Mountain and Trail models. The list has been cut down to this
- Mondraker Dusk RR 29
- Giant Trance E+0
- Orbea Wild FS M10
- Merida Eone 40 8000
- BH Atom X Carbon Lynx

Is there any of those you see being a bad option? My mind is changing every day. For example I wanted hard the Turbo Levo but I'm afraid of the Brose issues. Like as well the Giant due to the Mastro system but battery looks too small. Hibike looks like being a beast due to the motor... EeeeeK!! it is so difficult!!

My fear is the temperature in Madrid. I don't like the idea of riding the bike 2 months during summer at 38-42ºC with motor and battery on load while knowing how high temperatures degrade batteries above 35º. I do have a BMW Evolution electric scooter and pay lots of attention to that counting on its battery having a cost of 5,000€ !! It is 6 y old and has already degraded substantially holding no more than 80% charge anymore... and that's not bad at all for 6y. In an eMTB the battery doesn't botther much as long as I can buy one more for 700€ but the motor, so encapsulated and with not much air flow at 40º going up... I can melt it!!

Personally stay away from the Flyon motor Haibikes, poor range and the first two modes are like peddling through treacle, I rejected mine as not fit for purpose and the dealer had no issues swapping out to a Levo Comp which I am very happy with. The dealer I used has subsequently dropped Flyon Haibikes from their range because of all the issues they had, my issues were not unique apparently.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
The Trance might not suit you due to the low front end. Which ones have you ridden and which ones can you buy locally?

Blutac

May 2, 2020
Leeds
I have been riding for 30 years and decided to get a E bike two weeks ago. I am back to being able to ride the technical up and down trails with ease that i could back in the day. I cant say whic bike would be best but you can change the ride by adding a higher rise bar quite easily.

I went for the shimano motor and it works well on the Vitus bike i bought. Pull the trigger on the one that you get most visual enjoyment out of because you will be spending a lot of time on it :)

Spreaders

May 4, 2020
Cornwall
Sorry no experience of owning but share the decision agony recently. Apart from ensuring you get a well cooled bike you are probably going to have to make a compromise somewhere. Just make sure it is the one that affects your enjoyment and ability to ride least.

Swissete

May 6, 2020
Spain
Personally stay away from the Flyon motor Haibikes, poor range and the first two modes are like peddling through treacle, I rejected mine as not fit for purpose and the dealer had no issues swapping out to a Levo Comp which I am very happy with. The dealer I used has subsequently dropped Flyon Haibikes from their range because of all the issues they had, my issues were not unique apparently.

Oh you just killed me. I liked that one probably the most! :D
Can you please elaborate a bit more on that experience? seeing reviews in Youtube, everybody is incredibly impressed by the motor and bike feel. I've checked also Rob's reviews. You are saying as well it was not fit for purpose for you, why is that? probably your riding type is quite different from mine so your comments will help a lot.

Swissete

May 6, 2020
Spain
The Trance might not suit you due to the low front end. Which ones have you ridden and which ones can you buy locally?

All those in the list I can purchase locally. The last to muscular MTBs were a Giant Anthem X2 (stolen) which I liked very much and now an Orbea Occam Alu Pro 2011 which I like as well.
I've not tested yet any ebike...

Swissete

May 6, 2020
Spain
I have been riding for 30 years and decided to get a E bike two weeks ago. I am back to being able to ride the technical up and down trails with ease that i could back in the day. I cant say whic bike would be best but you can change the ride by adding a higher rise bar quite easily.

I went for the shimano motor and it works well on the Vitus bike i bought. Pull the trigger on the one that you get most visual enjoyment out of because you will be spending a lot of time on it :)

In the end... I suspect ANY of those in the list and at that price point would be a good machine. I want though to know about reliability and.... noises..... I'm incredibly picky on pedaling noises like cables, cranks... not bothered by motor noise but bothered by clicks and clacks of frame and components.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
In the end... I suspect ANY of those in the list and at that price point would be a good machine.
Correct. They're all excellent. Whatever you choose, it will be an excellent bike, so you don't have to worry too much that you'll be buying something crap.

I want though to know about reliability and.... noises..... I'm incredibly picky on pedaling noises like cables, cranks... not bothered by motor noise but bothered by clicks and clacks of frame and components.

Any of them might have a cable rattling somewhere, though it's unlikely. If one does, its normally fairly straight forward to rectify.

The shimano and the bosch will be similar ish noise wise in use being gear driven. They sound a bit like an electric remote controlled car. You tune the sound out and don't really notice it eventually.

The brose is the quietest being internally belt driven.

Reliability, everyone will have their own views. Any of them can fail, though the odds are it won't fail for you - they don't all just fall apart after 2 weeks. Yes, some people have 2,3,4 motors and are either exceptionally unlucky, ride particularly hard or insist on taking the bike in the bath with them.

The Bosch is probably the most reliable, but don't take that to mean they never fail.
The Brose is probably the least reliable. But then there are huge numbers of them out there so it's difficult to say for sure.

So whilst, on paper, the brose in a levo might be the most likely to fail (which doesn't mean it will). Spesh are excellent with their warranty and normally sort things out quickly and hassle free. The few people who have had really unlucky experiences have normally been refunded, Spesh don't mess about - ultimately, they want happy clients.

The TQ motor looks amazing, but there seem to be a few teething problems, so probably the highest risk at the moment.

Don't go worrying too much about how many gears they have and so on. With a motor you only really need 10 at the most.

If they're all available locally, then it probably comes down to which one you like the look of most. The feel of most if you can ride them and then which dealer you feel most comfortable with with regard to support, if you do ever need it.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Tell me about your height, you are either 174cm or 5.7ft, you can't be both.

Apparently we are taller in the morning and shorter in the evening as gravity compresses our spine slightly. When astronauts return from space they are way taller for a week or so.

Also our feet spread throughout the day.

My advice therefore is to buy shirts in the morning and shoes in the evening

Swissete

May 6, 2020
Spain
Tell me about your height, you are either 174cm or 5.7ft, you can't be both.

I'm confused. I tried to make it simpler to anyone reading the thread regardless being in UK, US or Europe so googled 174cms and showed 5.7ft? is that wrong?

an12dyw

Nov 6, 2019
Durham
ride a focus jam 2 myselve, shimano e8000, never had any problems, de restricted it about 8 months ago, has made the bike a totally better bike 378wh is more than enough for a 25-30 mile kick about, i also have the piggy back battery if i want a full day blast out, 768wh in total, i have had the bike over 2 years and that shimano motor has not skipped a beat, i keep seeing people on about the motor been 4 years old not as good as this motor that motor, lets put it this way i certainly wouldnt swap it for the new brose motor due to that belt stretching problems and reading about multiple motor replacements after having the bike 6 months

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm confused. I tried to make it simpler to anyone reading the thread regardless being in UK, US or Europe so googled 174cms and showed 5.7ft? is that wrong?
It's more google that's wrong in the way it displays the answer. It says 5.70866 So the 5 is in feet, but it displays the result in decimal base 10. not in feet AND inches. It doesn't have a feet and inches option only feet or inches. So to get it in feet and inches you'd have to do it in inches and then divide by 12.

So you'd be 5ft 6.5 inches as there are 12 inches in a foot.

It's grasping at straws :)

Swissete

May 6, 2020
Spain
It's more google that's wrong in the way it displays the answer. It says 5.70866 So the 5 is in feet, but it displays the result in decimal base 10. not in feet AND inches. It doesn't have a feet and inches option only feet or inches. So to get it in feet and inches you'd have to do it in inches and then divide by 12.

LOL, I will need to use the new eMTB to get back to the University!!. Thanks for the explanation, modifying my first post. :D

Swissete

May 6, 2020
Spain
Correct. They're all excellent. Whatever you choose, it will be an excellent bike, so you don't have to worry too much that you'll be buying something crap.

Any of them might have a cable rattling somewhere, though it's unlikely. If one does, its normally fairly straight forward to rectify.

The shimano and the bosch will be similar ish noise wise in use being gear driven. They sound a bit like an electric remote controlled car. You tune the sound out and don't really notice it eventually.

The brose is the quietest being internally belt driven.

Reliability, everyone will have their own views. Any of them can fail, though the odds are it won't fail for you - they don't all just fall apart after 2 weeks. Yes, some people have 2,3,4 motors and are either exceptionally unlucky, ride particularly hard or insist on taking the bike in the bath with them.

The Bosch is probably the most reliable, but don't take that to mean they never fail.
The Brose is probably the least reliable. But then there are huge numbers of them out there so it's difficult to say for sure.

So whilst, on paper, the brose in a levo might be the most likely to fail (which doesn't mean it will). Spesh are excellent with their warranty and normally sort things out quickly and hassle free. The few people who have had really unlucky experiences have normally been refunded, Spesh don't mess about - ultimately, they want happy clients.

The TQ motor looks amazing, but there seem to be a few teething problems, so probably the highest risk at the moment.

Don't go worrying too much about how many gears they have and so on. With a motor you only really need 10 at the most.

If they're all available locally, then it probably comes down to which one you like the look of most. The feel of most if you can ride them and then which dealer you feel most comfortable with with regard to support, if you do ever need it.

What are thouse teething problems on the TQ motor? it's difficult to see much information about the Flyon and there looks to be no major issues. Definitely they don't have so many installations as the competitors

Vfour800

Feb 24, 2020
Brackley Northamptonshire
Hi all,

3) 1.74m hight // 5ft 6.5 inches and 100kg // 220 pounds weight

- Mondraker Dusk RR 29
- Giant Trance E+0
- Orbea Wild FS M10
- Merida Eone 40 8000
- BH Atom X Carbon Lynx

That’s a very nice list of bikes to choose from. As subsequent people have said there are some others to choose from and I personally would have a look at some Cubes as they are great value for Money. I liked the sound of the Flyon motor when I first started looking for an Emtb but I don’t think you need 120n/m of torque and the weight at 28kg would put me off.
After the Covid Pandemic I am going to try even harder to shop at home in the uk and fancy the Whyte 150S or 150RS when I go full suspension in 18 months.
Good luck with your hunt and whatever you decide on you will enjoy.
cheers

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire

I think you would just times the 12 inches by 0.7 which gives you 8.5 inches, so he's 5 ft 8.5 inches... ?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I have a merida e140 Ltd (2020). I really like it. I live in steep country so I probably ride 30% up, 30% down, and 30% undulating. Some of it's purpose built track, a lot of it is wild and rocky, and just steep. I love the bike, but then most people do love their bike. Designed as a mullet, rolls over rough stuff and still turns tight. 36 spokes on the rear, 32 on the front. Aluminium is easy to live with. My only upgrade (coming) is a 203mm rear rotor - really need those brakes here. And, here in Aus I got it new for $6,000 - I'm guessing that was around $3,500 US at the time, just a few months ago, but our dollar has taken a dive since. I enjoy the climbs as much as the descents because here they are generally technical and a challenge for me. The geo on the e140 is a bit better for climbing than the e160 - it's really a trail bike.

Last edited:

Jetpilot

Jan 9, 2020
Dorset
Oh you just killed me. I liked that one probably the most! :D
Can you please elaborate a bit more on that experience? seeing reviews in Youtube, everybody is incredibly impressed by the motor and bike feel. I've checked also Rob's reviews. You are saying as well it was not fit for purpose for you, why is that? probably your riding type is quite different from mine so your comments will help a lot.

Ok, so on delivery the bike refused to turn on, after a trip to the dealer and them stripping down it was the main wiring harness, apparently not the first one they have also seen fail. As mentioned above, the first two assist modes were really hard work and the motor felt laboured, the biggest issue was battery range, a ride I could have completed with 2 bars left on my previous bosch cx with 500w battery I had run out with the flyon before I even got home, less than 24 miles which was really hard graft on the Flyon, incidentally on the same ride I now do with my Levo and have 65% battery left.

The dealer now rejecting all Flyons is far more telling than one guys experience, a few others have had speed sensor issues because they are more than 1mm tolerance out, which is a concern, all this is not acceptable on a brand new expensive ebike imho.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Ok, so on delivery the bike refused to turn on, after a trip to the dealer and them stripping down it was the main wiring harness, apparently not the first one they have also seen fail. As mentioned above, the first two assist modes were really hard work and the motor felt laboured, the biggest issue was battery range, a ride I could have completed with 2 bars left on my previous bosch cx with 500w battery I had run out with the flyon before I even got home, less than 24 miles which was really hard graft on the Flyon, incidentally on the same ride I now do with my Levo and have 65% battery left.

The dealer now rejecting all Flyons is far more telling than one guys experience, a few others have had speed sensor issues because they are more than 1mm tolerance out, which is a concern, all this is not acceptable on a brand new expensive ebike imho.

How long ago did you get the flyon? I thought they had sorted some of the teething problems.
That range doesnt sound great,do you think it was running properly? have others had that problem?

cheers

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
Someone on the internet want's to know which is the best bike to buy.

Lots of replies, get what I have.

Best advice is to ride a few and Then decide.

I have a Levo, wife has a Levo.
Upgrade from trek.
Both have been perfect, and no faults.
Trek was perfect with no faults 3yr use

Good look and try not to get to anxious about something your going to love

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Thats a pretty decent list, what ever you get a high rise bar would be a upgrade to help with that upright position.
Using those long'ish travel bikes for lite trails you should be able to run a high sag % for a nice plush ride too.
My wife has the Trance e+0, been a good buy, nice low down torque from the Yamaha motor.
I think the Crafty R is a smart looking unit, not riden one so can't comment on the important stuff.

Best of luck, fun times ahead.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What are thouse teething problems on the TQ motor? it's difficult to see much information about the Flyon and there looks to be no major issues. Definitely they don't have so many installations as the competitors

Just had a quick look about and can't find the threads I was looking for. There are these two but I think both @arawa and @Jetpilot have both recently posted about their experiences in another thread - with mixed results, but on the whole suggesting an improving situation.

Beta testing a Flyon! - EMTB Forums

First impressions - Flyon Alltrail 6.0 - EMTB Forums

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles