Jam2 2022 !

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I just checked in with Focus on the headset / integrated system.

Focus Say:
You just need a different top cap from acros that allows you to run the cables through the top cap and run whatever stem you like (like Olly Wilkins and Ben Deakin do to run sponsor correct stem) we spec an acros headset but replacement bearings are available elsewhere (aire valley bearings just as an example).

Top Cap:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I'm visualising how a bike would look with the cables running through the top cap & I think I would drill actual holes in the top tube before fitting one of those. This is an awful lot of fannying around in order to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Does it make it more difficult with the cables through the stem / headset? Never tried fettling around with it but noticed this in the press pack if people want to swap things around:

From Focus:

For riders who want to use a standard stem, the whole system is interchangeable with standard options. You only need to change the top cap of the headset. With a regular stem setup, the cables still get routed through the headset and the frame.
Yes.
MTB headset bearings ideally need to be easily accessed for routine replacement.
and cables/hoses routed through the headset (and through the top bearing) make the job an absolute ball ache.

If you ever meet the twat who came up with this idea please shit in his dinner!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I was wondering why a 150mm bike even had a Zeb nevermind an overall weight of 57lb as that sounds absolutely horrendous to me. and then i watched a video that said this bike is rated for riders up to 150kg.
Fair enough. Emtb as a pastime is definitely attractive to the heavier person so someone has to cater to their needs. I'm sure it'll be a lucrative decision.
But...
From your review @Rob Rides EMTB where you are impressed with the small bump "plushness" ;) I thought it may have had a really progressive curve (which should mean supple in the beginning stroke and around sag if set up well). but then you went on to say you were getting through all the travel on what looked farily tame flow trails.

So what's the shock stroke/leverage ratio for the bike to genuinely be useable for a rider that heavy?
in old skool that's nearly 24 stone innit?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I was wondering why a 150mm bike even had a Zeb nevermind an overall weight of 57lb as that sounds absolutely horrendous to me. and then i watched a video that said this bike is rated for riders up to 150kg.
Fair enough. Emtb as a pastime is definitely attractive to the heavier person so someone has to cater to their needs. I'm sure it'll be a lucrative decision.
But...
From your review @Rob Rides EMTB where you are impressed with the small bump "plushness" ;) I thought it may have had a really progressive curve (which should mean supple in the beginning stroke and around sag if set up well). but then you went on to say you were getting through all the travel on what looked farily tame flow trails.

So what's the shock stroke/leverage ratio for the bike to genuinely be useable for a rider that heavy?
in old skool that's nearly 24 stone innit?

shock is 210x55. They say it’s suitable for coil or air.

According to Focus Press pack (no curve charts):

The suspension was developed to offer a super smooth and sensitive ride with great bottom-out resistance. This is achieved by a linear-progressive suspension curve.

The main pivot is really close to the axle, low anti squat causes little pedal kick-back. Anti squat value is close to 100 when you ride in sag. It means the bike not only descends pretty well, but it also has a great climbing ability. Especially on technical terrain where consistent traction is key.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nicely vague marketing. But at least it's truthful ;)
What's the shock stroke?
and what's your weight and what pressure did you run?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Nicely vague marketing. But at least it's truthful ;)
What's the shock stroke?
and what's your weight and what pressure did you run?
Just edited to my post above, but it’s 210x55. Can’t remember exact PSI, bike long gone now, but would have set sag to 30%. 87KG.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have just had a look on the Focus website and it makes it clear that when they talk about weight limit, they mean total weight of bike rider and kit. OK, not a 150kg rider, but 150kg is still 20kg more than previous weight limit. If the bike weighs 25kg, then you still have 125kg for rider and kit. If you allow 5kg for kit, then a 120kg rider (264 lbs, 19stone 9lbs) is still a big unit.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's a 2.7 leverage ratio.
a 300lb rider is going to need a custom shock or exceed the max pressure by quite a bit
Ideally for a rider of that sort of weight you'd want a lower leverage ratio and a more progressive curve.
but then it wouldn't work well at all for lighter riders.

Just wondered if the bike was genuinely suitable for a rider up to the weight limit claimed.
Unsurprisingly. seems not.

Thanks

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
That's a 2.7 leverage ratio.
a 300lb rider is going to need a custom shock or exceed the max pressure by quite a bit
Ideally for a rider of that sort of weight you'd want a lower leverage ratio and a more progressive curve.
but then it wouldn't work well at all for lighter riders.

Just wondered if the bike was genuinely suitable for a rider up to the weight limit claimed.
Unsurprisingly. seems not.

Thanks
New Float X has a max of 350 psi so may be a bit better than prior shocks?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
From Bikeradar

While F.O.L.D is still employed, the kinematics of the platform have been changed and no longer use a two-phase regressive then progressive ‘humped’ leverage curve.

Instead, we’re told it now uses a linear-progressive suspension curve. It’s similar to the change Santa Cruz employed on its new lower-link shock driven designs. Focus says this gives the bike a more poppy and active ride character. Focus mentions that the anti-squat is close to 100 per cent at sag, so the pedalling characteristics should be pretty stable.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I did have quite a long post written out on this bike expressing a somewhat negative view and sorrow for the Focus team which have obviously had this bike forced upon them. A bike which seems to embody nothing from their history by design or ideals. I then went on for several paragraphs detailing this, my shock, horror and disgust. Having read through and tried to take a less negative stand point, as a Focus owner and fan boy, I've edited - concentrated on the positives, and now have this :

The battery might be ok.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I did have quite a long post written out on this bike expressing a somewhat negative view and sorrow for the Focus team which have obviously had this bike forced upon them. A bike which seems to embody nothing from their history by design or ideals. I then went on for several paragraphs detailing this, my shock, horror and disgust. Having read through and tried to take a less negative stand point, as a Focus owner and fan boy, I've edited and now have this :

The battery might be ok.
66 > 65 😁

Beatjunkie98

Oct 31, 2021
UK, Bristol
I have been saving up for a Jam2 6.8 / 6.9 for purchase early next year, with this latest release are the 'older' 6 series going to be redundant? Its either that or a Rail 5....

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
The mood music is a few of us eeb nerds are a bit underwhelmed by the 2022 Jam2. The 2020/1 Bosch 6's may be the sweet spot for now but as ever, the bike you should buy is the one you like riding the most. Try to get on a few & go from there.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I like the Bag idea, I am a big fan of extra bosses on frames for storage and would probably only use a strap mount but the option of the bag for as and when needed is neat.

Canyon do something very similar

1A29DF05-3EBA-425A-9B79-0DA60BA91B46.jpeg

707465C7-9F77-4B76-A6CD-ADE818D6050D.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles