Jam2 2020 Bosch Charging Point Socket Broken

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
Anybody else had a busted charger connector; mine broke as I disconnected the charger cable, it just pulled out with the plug; I don’t think it’s a great design anyway. Nowhere near as good as the previous generation Jam2 with the magnetised connector (and the neat blue on-light). I’m wondering whether to frig something myself or get it replaced, maybe, under warranty.
Any ideas?

F8F5F233-8FF9-4AA9-89D4-F7D9F73F00B7.jpeg

6098EB85-5CE4-43BA-8D53-BA870938B0E9.jpeg

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
If the bike is still in warranty I would try to get it fixed.

If you do a DIY fix and you have any electrical problems in the future they could claim that you voided the warranty by altering it yourself.

PJ27

Jan 8, 2020
Gosford, NSW
Agree with Nicho, if under warranty go down that path. Also helps Focus identify problems they ya need to review in future designs

Lord Liplick

Jul 26, 2020
Uk
Mine has broken in exactly the same way too ... v annoying and I agree, seems like a weak design. Any idea what to do if the bike is out of warranty ... can a replacement part be sourced from Focus does anyone know?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Mine has broken in exactly the same way too ... v annoying and I agree, seems like a weak design. Any idea what to do if the bike is out of warranty ... can a replacement part be sourced from Focus does anyone know?

From the exploded diagram, one assumes you can walk into your Focus dealer and order part number KD325920026.

1595850455956.png

1595850502292.png

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
Many thanks for that Graham; I had another look at it this morning and saw that it was just a plastic surround and I figured it could easily break again if the charging plug was pulled out a slight angle; I mean it is just a piece of cheap plastic so I had a go at fixing it myself. Now, I’m no engineer, and my engineering skills aren’t brilliant.........I actually trimmed down the pull-off top from a tin of beans, bodged a couple of holes in the right place and screwed it down, I even painted it black.....job’s a good’n!

Lord Liplick

Jul 26, 2020
Uk
Many thanks for that Graham; I had another look at it this morning and saw that it was just a plastic surround and I figured it could easily break again if the charging plug was pulled out a slight angle; I mean it is just a piece of cheap plastic so I had a go at fixing it myself. Now, I’m no engineer, and my engineering skills aren’t brilliant.........I actually trimmed down the pull-off top from a tin of beans, bodged a couple of holes in the right place and screwed it down, I even painted it black.....job’s a good’n!
Great info - thanks to you both - I think beans for lunch!!!

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
I know this is an old thread but I did get a replacement part from the dealer and thinking it was a simple job to replace it.......but, from what I could see there’s a fair amount of disassembly of the internals of the bike to actually install it, so I didn’t bother; until recently when the bike was getting some warranty work done and the lbs weren’t as careful with the connection as they could have been, I mean, it was fairly fragile anyway. So being forced to fit the new bezel I decided rather than search for the plug/connector on the wiring loom which I suspect is down at the bottom near the motor and probably meant removing the lock assy and the cable covers in the down tube I’d cut through the bezel (with a junior hacksaw) and slide the wires through said cut and pop the socket into the bezel that way. I put a bit of silicon around the bezel to help hold it in place in the cut out in the frame. Hopefully the jobs a good’n for the second time!
I feel sure that somebody is going to pipe up and tell me it actually is a simpler job than I thought.......in my defence, it’s bloody cold out in my garage this time of year so my method limited the time spent freezing the proverbials!

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
Mine broke there too, but was under warranty so I got them to fix it which they said was a shity job, with lots of disassembly required.

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
Excellent; makes me happy I did what I did......and I’ll do the same the next time, cos as sure as eggs is eggs, it’ll break again one day.

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
The 2021 model looks to be exactly the same bike as the 2020, looking at the Focus website exploded drawings. Just have to treat that particular bit with kid gloves. No different from the sound of it any other ebike Bosch connector.

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
I did think that mine broke after applying loads of gt85 to the area around it, and if that caused its demise. I don’t use it to charge battery as I remove it for that.

JEROMEREIG

Jan 13, 2020
Alicante SPAIN
This how you destroy a good design: by using recycled plastic contaminated and causing this frame brokes easyly after few temperature changes,and once you think you can easy change it it should pass trough cahrging cable and you are happy drilled, Bravo Focus, you can wrong but recognise it and respond, this is a mass claim

JEROMEREIG

Jan 13, 2020
Alicante SPAIN
I know this is an old thread but I did get a replacement part from the dealer and thinking it was a simple job to replace it.......but, from what I could see there’s a fair amount of disassembly of the internals of the bike to actually install it, so I didn’t bother; until recently when the bike was getting some warranty work done and the lbs weren’t as careful with the connection as they could have been, I mean, it was fairly fragile anyway. So being forced to fit the new bezel I decided rather than search for the plug/connector on the wiring loom which I suspect is down at the bottom near the motor and probably meant removing the lock assy and the cable covers in the down tube I’d cut through the bezel (with a junior hacksaw) and slide the wires through said cut and pop the socket into the bezel that way. I put a bit of silicon around the bezel to help hold it in place in the cut out in the frame. Hopefully the jobs a good’n for the second time!
I feel sure that somebody is going to pipe up and tell me it actually is a simpler job than I thought.......in my defence, it’s bloody cold out in my garage this time of year so my method limited the time spent freezing the proverbials!
I will try your way bro, seems the easyest, i will hot a bit the bezel before open the way for wires cause my garage it is also a vodka bar hahaha

Sonicfly190

Sep 30, 2020
C
Hi, same happened to me.....bought the part and tried to install....went as far taking motor covers off...decided bugger that...got the Dremmel out with a thin blade and cut a 45 degree angle twisted this little plastic part a bit ....fed wires at the bottom of the plug through one by one...mixed some epoxy glue and glued the part together....worked just fine. Have a look at the pic...at 7 o clock you will see just a bit of raised glue...could have done a bit more sanding....but came up ok.

Cheers

Rob

IMG_20210629_135230081.resized.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles