It’s in the details, the bits and bobs you can’t ride without

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
Let’s talk about sealant.
I was once a disciple of Stan’s, but once the Specialized plus size tires came out I had to try something else.
The Stan’s sealant would seep through the side wall of the tire. I tried a few different sealants and some worked better or worse, but when Intried this stuff, it was truly something special.

View attachment 3789
No seepage, non-corrosive and it seals holes an 1/8” in diameter.
No flats ever again

Anyone found this in the UK? Can't find it myself as fancy trying something other than Stan's........

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Rat bite tyre inserts are doing very well for us , not one tyre problem in 6 months on the 3 bikes they are fitted to and no more rim damage , even on carbon rims

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Can't say enough about 9point8 dropper post made in Canada. No oil, no hydraulics, uses a mechanical brake to hold its position. Lighter in weight and cheaper in price. Very little to go wrong & the smoothest action I've ever experienced. So much better than KSlev and light years ahead of command post.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Boneta Racing Titanium Spring
0F9873BB-0C23-4715-82F2-C2E8DE437F01.jpeg

So I had a custom Titanium spring made for my Kenevo. This was made by a friend of mine that does MX suspension tuning here in Southern California.
I went with 550X2.5” It’s super plush but I can still get more preload adjustment.
If there is enough demand I might do a small production run. But then again I probably won’t
1B1CEBAA-0BED-43EA-BF2F-9FC1021995DF.jpeg

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
GüP!
3F69C555-0108-472B-88DE-A81CCD42944E.jpeg

GüP is a sealant and inflator all in one. Now, I’ve never personally had to use this product. I am on my 15th year without a flat on the trail. My good friend @levity and his wife turned me on to this stuff and they swear by it. That’s all the endorsement I need

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I have purchased some Revgrips.

I was unable to find a supplier here in the UK so went direct and received them yesterday. If anyone knows of a UK or Europe based supplier please let me and the other forum members know (y)

The grips are very expensive compared to other grips so it was a bit of a ‘risk’ :eek: purchase but I thought, ‘life is for living’ and if these grips stop my left hand numbness issue then it will be money well spent ;)
I decided to purchase a rebuild kit as well as there was no difference in postage costs adding the extra item.

The grips were very easy to fit following the instructions and the rubber on the grip is lovely, soft and grippy (pardon the pun). Hopefully the rubber is hard wearing and will not wear out too quickly.

First ride out and the numbness I normally get in my left hand was definitely more subdued. The movement in the grips is not really noticeable but the extra comfort on the hands while riding is to me, very comfortable. As it is very early days I need to get a lot more ride time using them before I can comment any further.

Will try to report back more soon.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
How much were they?

Are you sitting down?......

Pro series Medium $89.95
Complete rebuild kit $34.95
Postage $28.68
So a total of...... :eek: $US153. :eek:
I was lucky enough for this package to get through without our friends at customs taking their bit. That would have been even more painful if I had to add another 20% :rolleyes:

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Are you sitting down?......

Pro series Medium $89.95
Complete rebuild kit $34.95
Postage $28.68
So a total of...... :eek: $US153. :eek:
I was lucky enough for this package to get through without our friends at customs taking their bit. That would have been even more painful if I had to add another 20% :rolleyes:

WHAT?? :eek: Ergon grips are 30.-€ and there are other ultra soft grips out there - have you tried those already?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
WHAT?? :eek: Ergon grips are 30.-€ and there are other ultra soft grips out there - have you tried those already?
I have tried every grip known to mankind Donnie and nothing has worked so far so I am really hoping these will. If they don’t it will have been a very expensive experience :eek:. If they do work then as far as I am concerned they will be worth every dollar spent :giggle:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I was going to give them a go, but at that price I’ll suffer the numb hands for a while longer.

The Absolute Black silicone grips I reviewed a few months ago are still on the bike. They look very tatty and I’ve lost both bar end plugs but for £30 they do a pretty good job.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
It’s a made in the USA product. They are not cheap, but they are so worth it.
They do make a cheaper set at $$59.99, but they are not as tunable.

They also last a lot longer than standard grips. I still have my first set on my General Levo and it’s been 2 seasons now

I have used them in every setting but I went with the softest setting.

My employer’s son was having numbness in his hands so I sent him the grips and a spank Vibrocore handlebar and now he’s well again

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
It’s a made in the USA product. They are not cheap, but they are so worth it.
They do make a cheaper set at $$59.99, but they are not as tunable.

They also last a lot longer than standard grips. I still have my first set on my General Levo and it’s been 2 seasons now

I have used them in every setting but I went with the softest setting.

My employer’s was having numbness in his hands so I sent him the grips and a spank Vibrocore handlebar and now he’s well again
Like I said, very early days so far but it is looking positive. Thanks for recommending them @Al Boneta (y)

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Like I said, very early days so far but it is looking positive. Thanks for recommending them @Al Boneta (y)
Hopefully they help alleviate your hand issues. @Carp is my friend I recommended them to and he loves them.
I am actually going to bring a set with me to Specialized dealer event to install on demo bikes

Carp

Aug 13, 2018
Norco CA
Al turned me on to these a while ago. I have diabetes and neuropathy in both my hands. Since using these grips a lot less arm pump and no numbness when I ride. I would recommend even at the price. I fall down often and the endcaps save the grips every time. I will ride with these from now on. Hope this helps.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I’ll try anything to help my numb hands , carpal tunnel . Carbon handlebars have been the most effective upgrade so far , I felt a huge difference with them . Always in the lookout for decent grips but most of the ones I’ve seen that claim to help are too fat .

Reactions: Dax

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I’ll try anything to help my numb hands , carpal tunnel . Carbon handlebars have been the most effective upgrade so far , I felt a huge difference with them . Always in the lookout for decent grips but most of the ones I’ve seen that claim to help are too fat .

You can get these grips in 3 different size options. 31.0mm , 32.5mm and 34.0mm. I went for the 32.5s as they were the closest to the Specialized ones I had on which were 32mm
Agree with you on the carbon bar front, they did make a difference. I have Nukeproof Horizon carbon bars on at the moment. I have also tried Easton carbon bars, Zoom carbon bars and Exotic carbon bars in the past as well.

Tmacca

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2018
Australia
Im loving the Rev grips, bought them straight after reading Al Bonetas post (you legend(y)) and checking reviews, as like Kiwi I've tried most grips.
Too many years working with angle grinders and the like, having to stop on a DH trails as sometimes couldn't feel my braking fingers.
On the soft setting but going to go to the softest, bloody expensive but was getting desperate.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I think I should mention the air spring upgrade for the rockshock pike and lyric , for around £40 the fork is transformed , especially its small bump sensitivity . I really couldn’t believe the difference it made .

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Veloink name stickers.
44EF32AB-7738-4C01-B929-002A6D26D6B9.jpeg

I have been buying these for a couple of years and asked Chuck the owner of he’d add or shop logo to the flag selection, so he did.
I had a guy tell me on the trail that me and my electric bike were the work of the devil so I used to run these stickers:
92A17CC5-14D5-4ED3-B50E-4CAABB3B2F48.jpeg

Figured I might as well look the part
But you know, some people didn’t see the humor in it, so I relented again.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
IMG_20180622_075119.jpg IMG_20180622_074904.jpg

good.hand BackEye Mirror! Been using this for 2 months already. I couldn't stand any mirror on the handlebars. It's fold-able so I can fold and forget about it when I decide to take an off-road shortcut on my commute :). I paid 4.46€ on Ebay.

Finally got the Cratoni C-Maniac that I wanted (99€, had to buy it in a physical shop).
51ScJPe4n1L.jpg

380gr ! It's not a true downhill helmet but it's very comfortable and good enough for the speed I'm going to.

I used that 50€ B-twin Aerofit900 for almost 4 months: big_7bf582dd-59e9-4a4e-a461-a762c7063c48.jpg
All the B-twin I tried weren't comfortable but this one I could fall asleep with.
More protection were needed tho, as I'm slowly gaining speed and confidence in rough terrain. Even more since I ditched the coiled fork and upgraded to air.

Edit:

Slicy mudguard!

IMG_20180823_182622.jpg IMG_20180823_182639.jpg

This one's neat but they make some pretty trashy mudguards haha. Half naked women and all that!

Last edited:

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Finally got me one of these
5E795A7C-7D3E-4C6F-8116-AF5058256E76.jpeg

I have had GoPros over the years but this Rylo360 is amazing. I don’t need a gimble to stabilize the picture and with full 360 recording it’s like having a drone.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
View attachment 4922
I have had GoPros over the years but this Rylo360 is amazing. I don’t need a gimble to stabilize the picture and with full 360 recording it’s like having a drone.
I have seen some content using these and it really does look amazing. Like you say, great stabilisation and it’s like having a drone.
They are a bit difficult to get in the UK and at £529 its a bit too much to swallow at the moment. Definitely on the list to get though.
I heard that the light sensor is not as good as some which is a shame as that is key for me as the guys will see in our ride out on Sunday in the Brechfa forest. Maybe that issue could be fixed in a future update, but not sure ...?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I have seen some content using these and it really does look amazing. Like you say, great stabilisation and it’s like having a drone.
They are a bit difficult to get in the UK and at £529 its a bit too much to swallow at the moment. Definitely on the list to get though.
I heard that the light sensor is not as good as some which is a shame as that is key for me as the guys will see in our ride out on Sunday in the Brechfa forest. Maybe that issue could be fixed in a future update, but not sure ...?
The light sensor issue was fixed on the new cameras

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
View attachment 4922

Interested in one, too, but couldn't pull the trigger yet. Problem is even with 4k the image quality can't reach even the 1440p on the GoPro. How is your comparison of that? And how's the software?
Can you share one of your videos?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles