Rail (750Wh) It’s a great bike, but ultimately it’s flawed in one critical aspect

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I read this so often and a lot of the YouTube guys talk about how horrid the Bosch rattle is. But I’m on my 2nd Bosch gen4 bike and can’t say I’ve ever noticed one. Certainly doesn’t bother me.

The tyre noise is the thing I notice most. Weird how it seems worse on some bikes than others

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Seems like the guys fix rattling for Shimano by adding some rubber boot to a crank, wondering if we can do something similar?
Very interesting solution! I cant see any drawbacks except a bit more resistance when back-peddling which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem for the majority. If mine was annoying I would try sorting something similar out myself, maybe I will if I get bored

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
In thinking a bout all of the things that could cause agitation of the chainwheel ( pedal slap) I wonder if there are other factors that contribute in addition to the design of the rear triangle and relative spring rate of the shock.

e.g. Rebound setting

27.5 v 29 rear wheel ( 27.5 potentially more disturbed on rocky ground than 29er) on the other hand my E 180 RS is 27.5 front and back and does not rattle.

Rear tyre tread pattern, width and inflated pressure (a more aggressive tread pattern/ higher pressure?)

Clutch control on rear mech and gear selection for downhill (chain slap)

bike weight balance and therefore rider position as it impacts on rear suspension settings/spring rate/rebound

I have no idea whether any of the above does or does not have any significant impact but possibly worth thinking a bout if the motor rattle is an issue for you.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I’m going down to a 525 spring. From what has been commented, 571 is too stiff for my weight of 85kg.

I’ll update following my next ride.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Seems like the guys fix rattling for Shimano by adding some rubber boot to a crank, wondering if we can do something similar?
I like that idea; it's the best suggestion so far - I'm going to make a damper ring and test it.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Perhaps carbon bikes are transmitting/magnifying sound whereas alloy bikes are doing the opposite? Just a random thought, so shoot me down ...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’m going down to a 525 spring. From what has been commented, 571 is too stiff for my weight of 85kg.

You really need to measure the sag but it'll take two people to do it properly.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Yeah, just measure the distance the rubber stopper goes down the shaft.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
It’s actually what it says in the Ohlins manual.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I measured my TTX22m.2 sag alone, why does it take two people?
Its possible to do it on your own, but it''ll be more accurate and easier if you have a helper monkey.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’m not saying you can’t do it, I’m just saying it’ll be easier with an assistant. To measure it yourself you have to dismount which risks moving the grommet.

Let’s face it, we’re ebikers, we live for the easy option… 😂

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So here is how you do it!! Weigh yourself with riding kit on. Weigh you wife/girlfriend/partner. Now load one or more backpacks with the difference in weight and strap to your wife/girlfriend/partner and get her to sit on the bike or stand on the pedals ( the latter being the better position if that is mostly how you ride!).

The above methodology of course fails if you wife/girlfriend/partner is heavier than you:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Made a rubber damper in the same vein as the Shimano/Orbea one. Provides enough friction to allow back-pedal chain movement (but it still has some slip).
Initial testing shows the rattle is still present, but more testing is required to see if it's reduced to any significant degree...
Damper ring boot.jpg

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
The bad, and the thing that I don’t think I’ll ever get used to, the motor rattle. Sounds like a bag of bolts. The battery no longer rattles, but the bike still sounds cheap when riding over rough trails. I was aware of this trait in the motor when I bought the bike, but I just find it very off putting and it detracts from the ride.

There's a cure. Use fullface helmet and eventually go faster. Guaranteed no disturbing sound will be heard.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Made a rubber damper in the same vein as the Shimano/Orbea one. Provides enough friction to allow back-pedal chain movement (but it still has some slip).
Initial testing shows the rattle is still present, but more testing is required to see if it's reduced to any significant degree...
View attachment 104104

I haven’t read the Shimano thread, what is the gromet supposed to do?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Lol. I was going to get an EXe 9.8 but cancelled and get the Rail !

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
It’s fair to say I’ve had a few issues with my bike, all electrical related, but they do appear to be fixed now.

Since buying it I’ve added a coil shock, upgraded the Zeb with the new debonair+ spring, mulleted (high chip) and 155mm cranks.

I have also added the battery anti rattle bracket.

View attachment 103903

The bike is now a lot quieter than when I bought it.

Today was my first really long ride on rough rocky trails. I went to Afan and did about 29 miles, 3000ft of climbing, all in either eMTB or Tour+ and had 25% battery remaining.

The good things…

The bike rides extremely well, really happy with how it handles on both up and down and it supremely capable.

It climbs like a goat, eMTB mode is simply amazing and definitely the best motor I’ve ridden (previous has been Shimano and the latest Brose).

The battery performance is equally as good, I have zero range anxiety with this bike.

It rides great as a mullet. Prefer it to full 29r. The flip chip in high and the 155mm
Cranks works really well with minimal pedal strikes (and the ones I did have were mainly my fault).

The bad, and the thing that I don’t think I’ll ever get used to, the motor rattle. Sounds like a bag of bolts. The battery no longer rattles, but the bike still sounds cheap when riding over rough trails. I was aware of this trait in the motor when I bought the bike, but I just find it very off putting and it detracts from the ride.
Yep, just got back on my Rail after +8 weeks without and new drive unit and all new wiring and yes, the bike still clanks about at the motor/BB area, especially when comparing to my Fuel EXe. Is too bad, cause the Rail really is a fun bike to ride. Clank factor only thing detracting as you said.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA

I am 200-205 lbs ride weight and 525lb Pro-Rate spring seems perfect on it for me. Started with 550/675 progressive spring that was a bit too stiff. Regardless, think progressive rate springs the way to go on Rail. I used a Sprindrex coil 500-550 for awhile that was nice until I realized I was setting at 525 for just about all the rides and leaving it there since felt the best

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
Lol. I was going to get an EXe 9.8 but cancelled and get the Rail !
I remember...

The Rail is a good bike, but a little too much for our local tight singletrack woods trails. My wife kept her Rail.

But I just couldn't stand the Rail's battery knocking.

Digging the virtually silent Fuel.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
I remember...

The Rail is a good bike, but a little too much for our local tight singletrack woods trails. My wife kept her Rail.

But I just couldn't stand the Rail's battery knocking.

Digging the virtually silent Fuel.
Battery knocking? Was the RIB not adjusted properly?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Dave_B said:

It’s a great bike, but ultimately it’s flawed in one critical aspect​

Neither my Rail 5 nor my wife's Rail 5 (both 500Wh/2022) make any noise other from slight motor whine. Can not fault them. I freely admit I have high frequency hearing loss but wife has perfect hearing (of course ;)).

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Neither my Rail 5 nor my wife's Rail 5 (both 500Wh/2022) make any noise other from slight motor whine. Can not fault them. I freely admit I have high frequency hearing loss but wife has perfect hearing (of course ;)).
Hmm. Either they fixed it in 2022, or you don’t ride bumpy trails while coasting….

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles