Is the orbea Rise suspension progressive?

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I just spoke to Cascade links as well last week. They are very interested in making a link for the Rise and WILL be taking a look to see if they can make a link that would benefit the bike or not. And as already stated, the Rise is one of the top selling bikes out there, it would be in their best interest to make a link! I have one on my 21 Stumpy Evo and it absolutely transformed the bike. I'm hoping and crossing my fingers that they can come up with a link! As far as 160mm fork, the Orbea TEAM riders are using 160! Check out Orbeas Instagram, team riders are using 160 on the Rise. Dont see it as an issue at all!
I asked them 3 months ago and they mailed me back with a nope not doing it. I hope they get lots of these mails - enough to consider it. Rise is a popular bike, so I would think they can make some cash if they want.

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
Got my fork and shock back... well lubed and tuned. Result is promising on the parking slot, feels much smoother. Will do proper test this weekend. He said main problem was air in the wrong chamber + insufficient lube.
After proper test ride, I can confirm that the servicing by a professional have greatly improved the small bumps compliance of my 36 Factory Grip 2, even though it hasn't reached the plushness of my Lyrik Ultimate. I will fine tune air pressure and HSC/LSC/HSR/LSR but I am happy now. One thing that I now understood better is what "Low speed" compression and rebound is not the speed of the bike, it is the speed of the compression, e.g. compression triggered by the rider " (turning, braking, etc) = low speed, compression triggered by the ground (e.g. rocks) = high speed. I have since made low speed compression a bit more "closed" to limit the dive when braking, without affecting smoothness on small bumps.

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
After proper test ride, I can confirm that the servicing by a professional have greatly improved the small bumps compliance of my 36 Factory Grip 2, even though it hasn't reached the plushness of my Lyrik Ultimate. I will fine tune air pressure and HSC/LSC/HSR/LSR but I am happy now. One thing that I now understood better is what "Low speed" compression and rebound is not the speed of the bike, it is the speed of the compression, e.g. compression triggered by the rider " (turning, braking, etc) = low speed, compression triggered by the ground (e.g. rocks) = high speed. I have since made low speed compression a bit more "closed" to limit the dive when braking, without affecting smoothness on small bumps.
You’ll never get the plushness of the lyrik, the fox is a lot firmer in its characteristics, one reason I’m swapping my 36s on my 5010 back to Rockshox.

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
I broke down and put the Push ACS3 conversion in my Fox 36 last weekend, probably one of the best upgrades I've done to my bike thus far, even convinced myself to buy the Elevensix rear coil today!

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
You’ll never get the plushness of the lyrik, the fox is a lot firmer in its characteristics, one reason I’m swapping my 36s on my 5010 back to Rockshox.
After riding my M10 with the 36 for 12 rides(before switching to a 21 160mm Lyrik) I had zero complaints with the 36 plushness. I only switched to the Lyrik just because I got it new for a excellent price and (had talked with the seller 6 months earlier who was waiting for his stock) figured I would swap to see the difference. I can’t really tell much of difference, but would need to ride them back to back, a day apart or so on the same trails. The 36 wasn’t harsh and felt great. The Lyrik/ fender weighs 100g lees than the 36/ fender if that matters.

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
broke down and put the Push ACS3 conversion in my Fox 36 last weekend
After you mentioned it, I read so many good things about it, I have ordered one today via their eu reseller MRC-trading. Push US was super fast and efficient at advising me. And MRC-trading also responded super fast to my query. Thanks again

GatorXman

Nov 23, 2021
Tampa
View attachment 73634

I've tried a number of configurations and here are my notes:

Overall setup
- My setup is on the more rugged side. I have 203/223 rotors, and tough 2.4/2.5 tires. I ride a mix of steep/chunky terrain and flowy singletrack around the SF Bay Area. I tend to favor smoother lines enjoy popping of smaller trail features.
- I'm also running a OneUp 210mm dropper and 35mm rise bars, Paul Components 35mm stem, and WTB Saddle
- I'm about 180lbs plus gear and bike weighs in around 42 lbs with pedals, but without tool/pump/tube.
- I settled on a 450lb spring after experimenting with different rates and putting my #s in about 198732423 different "calculators".

210x55 coil with offset bushing, 160 fork, 29 F/R
- I bought a Fox coil on ebay that was supposed to be 216x63.5 but was actually 210x55, and didn't realize it till about 5-10 rides later when I measured the BB ht @ 340, HT at 65, and ST at 76
- Handled very quick, climbed steeps surprisingly easily with no wandering (which I attribute to the shock action vs geo). The ST angle is actually slacker here, but it climbed EASIER and felt more stable which was a surprise. Only conclusion I could draw was that the shock action helped maintain more traction despite the slacker ST angle. Still didn't quite make sense going from paper to trail, but I'll take it!
- Descending felt like a bigger bike for sure, great body positioning for steep terrain. Slightly reduced reach could be compensated with a longer stem ( I have a 50mm on the way vs the 35 on there now)

216x63.5 shock with offset bushing, 160 fork, 29 F/R
- This is my current setup and it feels amazing across rough terrain, You really just float over stuff that would have the 140/150 version bucking a bit more.
- HT measured 65.5, ST 76.5
- That said, the BB is much higher now, measured at 350. I compensated by running more sag which brought back some of the quick handling. It looks like there is room to run another offset bushing as well, so I'll add that in today which should drop the BB further and bring it closer to stock handling, while still running 29s front and rear.

34T ring conversion
- The Shimano chainrings DO NOT WORK with the Orbea chainguide. I scratched one up testing it out. The clearance between the frame and chainguide is SUPER tight and I haven't found any third party chainguide that works actually. I believe this is part of the design compromise as the Rise has super short chainstays for a 29er EMTB. Most other EMTBs with 445 chainstays are running 27.5 rear wheels. The Orbea chainguide is specifically designed to route around the carbon frame. So you can stick with 32t or you can remove the chainguide.

27.5 rear wheel conversion
- This MIGHT just be the ticket if you wanna run this bike as a legit enduro EMTB. a 27.5 rear with a 2.5 tire will put the BB right in the sweet spot if you use a longer shock and 1 offset bushing. It should end up somewhere around 5mm higher than stock BB ht, but with 20mm more travel!
- I tried this setup briefly with a borrowed wheel and I'm pretty sold it's the way to go

If you're itching to tinker with your suspension I would try these steps in this order first:
-
Lower your shock pressure and use the bigger volume spacer
- Swap your fork airshaft to 160
- Add a single offset bushing to the rear shock mount (offsetbushings.com)

Then finally if you wanna go ALL IN:
-
Swap your shock for a 216x63.5 (8.5" x 2.5")
- Add a second offset bushing to the front mount
- Swap your rear wheel for 27.5

Did you ever try the second offset bushing? Clearances were too tight for me to be comfortable with one at the head of a Mara Pro (top tube side).

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
After you mentioned it, I read so many good things about it, I have ordered one today via their eu reseller MRC-trading. Push US was super fast and efficient at advising me. And MRC-trading also responded super fast to my query. Thanks again
Easy to install as well. If you've ever done a lower leg service you'll be fine. Now, I'm just waiting for that Elevensix shock to arrive.

jimsantos

Dec 14, 2020
California
Did you ever try the second offset bushing? Clearances were too tight for me to be comfortable with one at the head of a Mara Pro (top tube side).

I did try the second offset bushing and it didn't fit. The shock mount would rub on the frame a bit.

Also, I'm now selling my coil shock if anyone wants to try this out. Worked AWESOME, but I'm going back to a non-e-bike and will be selling my Rise in it's stock setup.

Asking $250 shipped within the US, can quote you for intl shipping, but it'll be reasonable.

Included:
- Marzocchi Bomber CR shock
- 450 + 500lb springs good for about 160-210lb rider.
- 1 offset bushing for the rear, installed

Thanks!

Last edited:

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
I'm 150 lbs with gear, what spring rate would that be? I couldn't figure out how to use the Fox calculator.
I’m 170 and I have tried a few springs before settling on a 500llb fox sls, but spring rates are quite personal, I like the Rise to ride quite firm as it’s still a trail bike. So I would start with a 450 if I were you.

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
I'm 150 lbs with gear, what spring rate would that be? I couldn't figure out how to use the Fox calculator.

im about 155, I’d say 160 maybe a little over geared up and have been running around a 400lb spring, using a sprindex spring the range I have to play with is 380-430.

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
I used the tf tuned calculator and was somewhere between 390ish to 428ish depending on sag and playing a bit with weight, basically if I’m trying to compensate for a little extra weight of the bike or not

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I used the tf tuned calculator and was somewhere between 390ish to 428ish depending on sag and playing a bit with weight, basically if I’m trying to compensate for a little extra weight of the bike or not
TF recommended me to add weight of battery & motor to your calculations for spring rate

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
TF recommended me to add weight of battery & motor to your calculations for spring rate

I wasn’t sure whether to add weight for the ebike or not, I saw some one else say they didn’t, given the bike weighs only 4-5kg more than a regular bike. I weigh about 155 and put weight all the way to 175 and still got about 430 on spring weight. Currently I’m using 415 weight with a spindex spring, still playing around though. If I was using fox I’d go 425, hard to say with other brands having 50lb incriminate changes.

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
I wasn’t sure whether to add weight for the ebike or not, I saw some one else say they didn’t, given the bike weighs only 4-5kg more than a regular bike. I weigh about 155 and put weight all the way to 175 and still got about 430 on spring weight. Currently I’m using 415 weight with a spindex spring, still playing around though. If I was using fox I’d go 425, hard to say with other brands having 50lb incriminate changes.
Whatever you calculate, go up to the next spring rate. I have tried 3 different coil shocks on the rise and I had to go up 50llb on the spring in every case. FWIW 78kg and using a fox sls 500 on a dbinline coil.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
500lb would be bang on for your weight with 28% sag on TF spring calculator adding 4kg for battery & motor, how are you finding the DBIL coil? I was advised not to use on the Rise! By TF

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
500lb would be bang on for your weight with 28% sag on TF spring calculator adding 4kg for battery & motor, how are you finding the DBIL coil? I was advised not to use on the Rise! By TF
I’m running it upside down to keep the weakest point closes to the frame, had zero issues so far and I’m 6 months in, I did try a dhx Rc4 that I shortened to fit but couldn’t quite get it setup, think I needed lighter weight oil as it felt overly damped.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
I did try the second offset bushing and it didn't fit. The shock mount would rub on the frame a bit.

Also, I'm now selling my coil shock if anyone wants to try this out. Worked AWESOME, but I'm going back to a non-e-bike and will be selling my Rise in it's stock setup.

Asking $250 shipped within the US, can quote you for intl shipping, but it'll be reasonable.

Included:

Thanks!
New member can't DM yet. Curious if you've sold this yet.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
I’m running it upside down to keep the weakest point closes to the frame, had zero issues so far and I’m 6 months in, I did try a dhx Rc4 that I shortened to fit but couldn’t quite get it setup, think I needed lighter weight oil as it felt overly damped.

Looking to do this CaneCreek DB Coil + SLS for a h30 rise, and I have a couple of questions:

1) What's the size of your shock - 8.5x2.5 or stock?
2) Any idea the weight of your DB IL + 500LB SLS Spring?
3) Did you run an offset bushing? If so, top or bottom near the yoke with your upside down shock?
4) Are you running mullet?

5) Do you find your coil shock progressive enough for your type of riding? (what's your type of riding?)

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
1- 210x55
2- nope, but it’s not very heavy.
3- no offset bushing as std stroke shock
4- nope as above its full 29er
5- I don’t have any issue with bottoming out etc, I ride everything on it from massive XC loops over Dartmoor (80-90km) to flat out runs at the local DH tracks and the odd bikepark day (25-30ft jumps)

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Yeah I am leaning towards the DB Coil IL because I want coil and also want lightweight, but just afraid of reliability issues.

jimsantos

Dec 14, 2020
California

Included:

Thanks!
Shock is SOLD!

jene

May 12, 2021
Zaragoza
Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out which could be the best setup to balance between more Enduro rise and keep the great pedaling actitude of this bike. I've read a bit from here collecting some info. I'm not very kind of this stuffs so any help is welcome.

I'm waiting for ohlins ttx 22m 216x63 and two offset bushings to get 161mm at the rear (Not sure if I could only get 155mm to be more conservative). Note that 160 at rear is going to get +10mm the bottom bracket...

I'm also interested on increasing the fork travel, to 160 or 170. Not sure if I'd really need 170 (65°) or perhaps 160 is enough (65.5°). 160 fork will get +5mm at the bottom bracket and 170 would be +10mm at the bb).

By the other hand, I feel great with 29 at the rear but, taking into account that getting more travel at front and rear will increase the bottom bracket, moving to a mullet setup will reduce the bb 10mm...

Summarizing..
170f/160r/29: 356mm bb
170f/160r/27.5: 346mm bb
160f/160r/29: 351mm bb
160f/160r/27.5: 341mm bb
(stock bb is 341mm with the 150 fork)

I also didn't mention that as said here, with more shock range, the seat angle is modified and most important, anti squat will increase +5% (and getting mullet even more). A 34t ring would reduce AS but perhaps I'd also losing capacity on hard climbs). Also the reach is reduced getting more rear travel, but this appears not to be a problem (5mm by each 0.5°)...

Opinions and experiences are welcome!!

Last edited:

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out which could be the best setup to balance between more Enduro rise and keep the great pedaling actitude of this bike. I've read a bit from here collecting some info. I'm not very kind of this stuffs so any help is welcome.

I'm waiting for ohlins ttx 22m 216x63 and two offset bushings to get 161mm at the rear (Not sure if I could only get 155mm to be more conservative). Note that 160 at rear is going to get +10mm the bottom bracket...

I'm also interested on increasing the fork travel, to 160 or 170. Not sure if I'd really need 170 (65°) or perhaps 160 is enough (65.5°). 160 fork will get +5mm at the bottom bracket and 170 would be +10mm at the bb).

By the other hand, I feel great with 29 at the rear but, taking into account that getting more travel at front and rear will increase the bottom bracket, moving to a mullet setup will reduce the bb 10mm...

Summarizing..
170f/160r/29: 356mm bb
170f/160r/27.5: 346mm bb
160f/160r/29: 351mm bb
160f/160r/27.5: 341mm bb
(stock bb is 336mm)

I also didn't mention that as said here, with more shock range, the seat angle is modified and most important, anti squat will increase +5% (and getting mullet even more). A 34t ring would reduce AS but perhaps I'd also losing capacity on hard climbs). Also the reach is reduced getting more rear travel, but this appears not to be a problem (5mm by each 0.5°)...

Opinions and experiences are welcome!!
Based on what I've read so far (depending on shock and frame size), you might not be able to fit 2 offsets, usually the front one will pull the shock too far forward where the piggyback material of the shock or the coil collides into the frame. That said you should have another section summarizing 1 offset.

Other thing to consider is stock BB 336mm is quite low for a 29er.

Example BBs:

Sentinel 29" 346mm
Enduro 29" 354/347
Rallon 29" 350/343
Revel Rail 29" 348mm

Personally, Longer stroke (216x63) + 1 OffsetBushing + Mullet, either 160 or 170 fork would be the way to go!

jene

May 12, 2021
Zaragoza
Based on what I've read so far (depending on shock and frame size), you might not be able to fit 2 offsets, usually the front one will pull the shock too far forward where the piggyback material of the shock or the coil collides into the frame. That said you should have another section summarizing 1 offset.

Other thing to consider is stock BB 336mm is quite low for a 29er.

Example BBs:

Sentinel 29" 346mm
Enduro 29" 354/347
Rallon 29" 350/343
Revel Rail 29" 348mm

Personally, Longer stroke (216x63) + 1 OffsetBushing + Mullet, either 160 or 170 fork would be the way to go!

Sure? I've seen a lot of people mounting two offset bushings with dhx2 216... You say that because of ohlins shock is wider? My rise size is XL... It's supposed to have more room for the shock.., uh?

Just now I have received the ttx but the 3mm offset bushings will arrive in two weeks so I have no manner to test the shock (besides if the spring lbs is correct)

By the other hand, how is it possible to use only 3mm offset bushing with 216? I had only 210+3 so no room to fit the shock? I'm sorry buy I'm not kind of this

@Shjay was right, bb on h15 is 341mm so with +10 of the 170 fork and +10 of the 216 rear shock will be 361 bb...perhaps too much on 29er...i guess mullet is a must for this config...

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
So for 216mm shocks...there's 2 way of doing this:

1) Stay 29er - in this case utilizing 2 offset will reduce it the shock to 210x63mm preserving the same geo while giving more travel.

2) Go Mullet - in this case, using 27.5 will drop BB. Using 216mm shock will then push the whole rear triangle and wheel down further than stock (yes this can happen). This will essentially raise the BB back up, but more than drop of changing to 27.5. Also without any offset bushings, there's been reports saying that 216 is too long causing the seat stay and linkage to touch. This is where the one 3mm 2mm offset will solve the problem for the linkage and bottom bracket height preservation. Yes you will end up with a 213x63mm 214x64mm shock.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles