Is the orbea Rise suspension progressive?

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
This is reporting 17%. That’s way too low for a heavy 140mm travel bike to run a coil.. gonna smack bottom and dent lotsa rims that way.

Install the max volume spacers and run it. See how it works. Should be plenty subtle.. a d resist bottom out nicely.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Actually the Orbea is very progressive with anti-squat characteristics which is ideal for a coil. I’ve had a top rated suspension service company look into the adaptability of the coil on the Rise and with the correct spring size it should be awesome.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
factual information freely available to answer the question

p4pb19602896.jpg

Personally I think spending the best part of 10k on the lightest full motor 140mm eeb currently available and then sticking a big metal coil on it is missing the point somewhat. But each to their own.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
factual information freely available to answer the question

p4pb19602896.jpg

Personally I think spending the best part of 10k on the lightest full motor 140mm eeb currently available and then sticking a big metal coil on it is missing the point somewhat. But each to their own.
Not sure what the weight difference will be but shouldn’t be a factor like real tires.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not sure what the weight difference will be but shouldn’t be a factor like real tires.
The weight difference will vary dependent on spring weight and spring manufacturer but it certainly won't be any less than 0.5kg. and could easily add 1kg depending on shock chosen
Not sure what you mean by "real" tyres but if you plan on running anything heavier than Exo+ casings on this bike (or any other bike with a 29" 1500g XC wheelset) then I'd say you've probably missed the point again there too. But like I said, each to their own

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
The weight difference will vary dependent on spring weight and spring manufacturer but it certainly won't be any less than 0.5kg. and could easily add 1kg depending on shock chosen
Not sure what you mean by "real" tyres but if you plan on running anything heavier than Exo+ casings on this bike (or any other bike with a 29" 1500g XC wheelset) then I'd say you've probably missed the point again there too. But like I said, each to their own
Marzochi CR w/Fox SLS spring. I put a 2.6 front tire on, 220 front rotor and cushcore XC F&R. 42.5#, my decoy was 52.5. So just setting my bike up for what I ride. I’m not sure what point I’m missing, should I just go complete weight weenie? Most probably will, but idc if I can lose 10# off my current ebike, get more modern geo , and update my motor- it’s a win. I bought the M10. Which model do you own?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't own a Rise and I've no interest in owning one I just happened to remember seeing the leverage graph for it at press release so posted it for you to see.
Orbea developed this bike with the sole intention of challenging the lightest weight Emtb trail bikes on the market and to do so they not only developed a lightweight frame and smaller lighter battery they also spec'd the lightest versions of the bike with lighter, fairly high end but ultimately weaker/less durable parts (than say your Decoy) and priced the whole package accordingly. The Rise has clearly not been designed to be used/ridden in the same manner as a Decoy either though. So it would seem rather regressive to then add a ton of weight specing it to be more suited to that sort of riding style when the rest of the package is clearly not designed for it. Don't you think?
It's entirely your choice though.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Thanks for posting the leverage chart. My Trails are a little more than the stock Rise, but not quite enough Decoy. Just blending the two. If I add 3lbs to the stock rise, no biggie IMO.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I don't own a Rise and I've no interest in owning one I just happened to remember seeing the leverage graph for it at press release so posted it for you to see.
Orbea developed this bike with the sole intention of challenging the lightest weight Emtb trail bikes on the market and to do so they not only developed a lightweight frame and smaller lighter battery they also spec'd the lightest versions of the bike with lighter, fairly high end but ultimately weaker/less durable parts (than say your Decoy) and priced the whole package accordingly. The Rise has clearly not been designed to be used/ridden in the same manner as a Decoy either though. So it would seem rather regressive to then add a ton of weight specing it to be more suited to that sort of riding style when the rest of the package is clearly not designed for it. Don't you think?
It's entirely your choice though.
I agree and the sole purpose of this bike is to decrease weight, but this bike the M10 model that 99% are out riding right now don’t have a 1500g wheel set as you stated above.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Still incredibly light for the type of bike to demand a coil shock.
Point stands.
Dude there’s coil shocks going on everything, I don’t know why you’re so anti coil or against me adding 3 pounds to my bike, but whatever. To each his own.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
The guys from theloamwolf test it and say its a bit “soft” for hardcore riding, it’s ok because it’s supposed to be a trail ebike

On the other side the Wild got one of the more progressive leverage ratios out there

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Wow. That is light!
I stand corrected on what I estimated the added weight to be.
Still doesn't mean a coil shock will be the best choice for this bike though.
What weight SLS spring is that? And how did you calculate the weight for your weight and riding style? ie. Did you go up a spring weight for support and to resist bottoming or just go with a spring calc recommendation (ignoring frame progression)?
Be interesting to hear how your midstroke and big hit performance is.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Good question, so I’m 200# in my birthday suite. Trail labs figured I’d need 600# spring to compensate for the ebike. I’ll let you know once I shred!

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
I don't see why there is resistance to the Rise being built up as an aggressive trail bike and adding a bit of extra weight to it to handle more aggressive riding styles or suspension preferences.

Orbea themselves have two different types of builds, one with a Fox 34 and a beefier one with a Fox 36.

I currently have a Decoy 29 with 145 rear. That bike can handle anything I throw at it on my local trails. The appeal of the rise isn't becoming a weight weenie and riding it like a cross country bike. It is dropping 10lbs off my current bike, with a similar rise build (bump the fork to 160mm), and still having an aggressive trail bike build that you can push hard and enjoy on trails where you may not need 170+mm of travel. The bonus being that it handles more like your normal trail bike AND has a powerful motor.

There are plenty of riders pushing analog 140mm/150mm trail bikes hard. You'll even see bikes in that category pop into an enduro race now and then.

There seems to be a weird trend with rise riders obsessing over one or two pounds which is not significant enough to matter on an ebike. And let's keep in mind the other options are still +-10lbs heaver than this thing, so there still aren't any other bikes for aggressive riders who want a powerful motor and light bike.

The market segment between a levo sl and a 53lb 170mm ebike still hasn't been cracked open. 150mm rear + 160mm front, full power, around 43lbs is the holy grail IMO. Orbea has gotten fairly close with this one. Might be a few years till we fully get there.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Someone needs to mullet a Rise and report back - I reckon there's a little ripper buried in there with a few tweaks

jimsantos

Dec 14, 2020
California
Someone needs to mullet a Rise and report back - I reckon there's a little ripper buried in there with a few tweaks
I was thinking this exactly...

If it can clear an 8.5”x 2.5” shock (216mm x 63.5mm) it would have 161.6mm of travel out back! Would LOVE to try that as a mullet with a 160 fork.

Anyone have that shock size handy to test it for us??

brewoz40

Jun 1, 2020
San Diego
Any update on how the bike rides with the coil? Have a M10 coming in shortly and thinking of putting my Rockshox SuperDeluxe Utl coil on it to try it out. Also going to swapping out fork for a Fox 36 grip 2 160mm, swapping out for my current wheelset and adding cushcore. Thinking weight will probably be right around 43 - 44 lbs when done. Just curious to see how it rides with the coil.

jimsantos

Dec 14, 2020
California
Found someone who has long-shocked the Rise with a 8.5” x 2.5” Fox coil, aka 215.9mm x 63.5mm

Looks like it fits, and increases travel to 161mm! They’re using a 160 fork, so BB height is 15mm higher than stock with a 150 fork. If you drop the rear wheel to a 27.5 x 2.6, you get a 341mm bb height, and the rest of the geo pretty much matches the Santa Cruz Megatower.

I’ll try mine stock first of course, but this will probably be my long term setup as soon as I can get the proper parts together!

F96B7B81-E2C2-4F77-9D12-1BA74238BA6A.jpeg

brewoz40

Jun 1, 2020
San Diego
Wow now that's interesting! I was just thinking increasing the stroke a little, maybe to 52.5 increasing travel by 7-8mm in the rear. But that sounds sick af and then throwing a 27.5 on the back! Nice! I wander how it rides with 161mm in the back!

jimsantos

Dec 14, 2020
California
Wow now that's interesting! I was just thinking increasing the stroke a little, maybe to 52.5 increasing travel by 7-8mm in the rear. But that sounds sick af and then throwing a 27.5 on the back! Nice! I wander how it rides with 161mm in the back!
The stock stroke is 55mm, so 52.5mm would be a 6.4mm reduction in travel.

I ordered the longer shock already (haven’t even received my bike yet!) so I’m gonna try it with 161/160 and 29er wheels. According to my calc, it’ll have a 347.5 bb height which is a bit tall, but surprisingly close to a Transition Sentinel (346) and 65.5/76.5 HT/ST angles.

27.5 x 2.6 on the back would drop the HT/ST to 65/76 and the bb ht to 341mm, and geo would be almost identical to the Santa Cruz Megatower!

PhilS

Mar 1, 2021
UK
Have you thought about the effects a longer shock will have on anti squat? The rise has quite a bit at sag already (115% I have read), dropping the rear axle with a smaller wheel and extending the start of the travel could make the suspension terrible at the early to mid stroke. It would be interesting to see an anti squat graph before making that change.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles