Is OFF the new ECO?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
This climb is demanding enough and it’s all made worthwhile for the huge descent, but I wouldn’t fancy it the other way round!

At present, due to lockdown, all rides are done from my front door and it’s a good 6-10 mile ride (depending upon where I go) uphill on tarmac to get to the trails. Once we can drive further I’ll be getting more trail time off a battery rather than journey time on tarmac

View attachment 56447

By the time I’m at around the 16/17 mile mark my battery (Bosch 625) is at one bar and showing less than 5 mile range but it’s all downhill from there

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
By the time I’m at around the 16/17 mile mark my battery (Bosch 625) is at one bar and showing less than 5 mile range but it’s all downhill from there

And to add, my girlfriend does the ride with me on my Cube hardtail, same Bosch motor and battery, she finished the ride with three bars of battery and 45 mile Eco range left. That bikes on e-wilds up front and the Smart Sam it came with on rear. The Smart Sam is slippy AF on mud but you get the grip with the e-wild, so actually makes mud sliding quite fun, and I think the Smart Sam really helps with the range. But then there’s rider weight, rider fitness, different bikes, different tyres, motor mode etc all to take into account too

Drsooty

Jul 10, 2020
Lancashire
Eco doesn't even come close to levelling the playing field between an Ebike and a normal bike you'd have to be delusional to think it would.
Depends on bike weight. Mine is over 25kg and like a bus to ride with the motor off.

Either that or I've got out of shape in EMTB mode. :LOL:

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
I occasionally ride mine with the power off.... usually after gabbing to someone on the trails for a few minutes, then riding off without realising my battery has automatically switched off ? I usually realise when I’m struggling to reach the top of the next hill ???

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
And to add, my girlfriend does the ride with me on my Cube hardtail, same Bosch motor and battery, she finished the ride with three bars of battery and 45 mile Eco range left. That bikes on e-wilds up front and the Smart Sam it came with on rear. The Smart Sam is slippy AF on mud but you get the grip with the e-wild, so actually makes mud sliding quite fun, and I think the Smart Sam really helps with the range. But then there’s rider weight, rider fitness, different bikes, different tyres, motor mode etc all to take into account too
Hi Tubby, fellow tubby here, and yes, my superfit wife was the same, the first time I took her out on a ride on her new trek powerfly we did a long scenic ride, 48km, 900m gained, and I got back with 5% of my battery left, and she returned with three bars still showing, despite blasting ahead of me on every climb by using turbo whilst I was in eco :ROFLMAO:

Now I leave her battery uncharged, so she starts off with a lower amount to even the playing field out a bit ;)

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
What's the point of an e Bike if it's ridden switched off ? I'd rather have a normal bike any day!!

In fact, even in Eco mode the Levo doesn't feel that much faster than a normal bike, it's as though the power is only compensating for the extra weight

Not worth the hassle of all the maintenance etc.

Trail and turbo mode pretty much all the time for me or it's not worth it

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi Tubby, fellow tubby here, and yes, my superfit wife was the same, the first time I took her out on a ride on her new trek powerfly we did a long scenic ride, 48km, 900m gained, and I got back with 5% of my battery left, and she returned with three bars still showing, despite blasting ahead of me on every climb by using turbo whilst I was in eco :ROFLMAO:

Now I leave her battery uncharged, so she starts off with a lower amount to even the playing field out a bit ;)

Her range remaining after a 35 mile ride last weekend:

1535FC99-AC1B-4E20-900D-9FFF0288CD19.jpeg

My range remaining after last weekend’s ride:

606F3800-3AAD-4155-B2A7-48185D3B08BA.jpeg

She just takes the p**s out of me, especially on hills when she flys up in Eco and I’m sweating like in pig in a sauna going up in EMTB :D

If my battery ever gets to 0% on the way home then I’ll just swap bikes or batteries with her and let her ride home in OFF ?

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Her range remaining after a 35 mile ride last weekend:

View attachment 56762

My range remaining after last weekend’s ride:

View attachment 56763

She just takes the p**s out of me, especially on hills when she flys up in Eco and I’m sweating like in pig in a sauna going up in EMTB :D

If my battery ever gets to 0% on the way home then I’ll just swap bikes or batteries with her and let her ride home in OFF ?

It’s the other way round for us. My wife used 60% last weekend, and I only used 19. As I’m a lot fitter, I’ve enjoyed winding her up today, as she’s suffering after our vaccinations yesterday, and I’m absolutely fine!

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
It’s the other way round for us. My wife used 60% last weekend, and I only used 19. As I’m a lot fitter, I’ve enjoyed winding her up today, as she’s suffering after our vaccinations yesterday, and I’m absolutely fine!
I wouldn’t gloat just yet. I thought I’d got away with it. 24 hrs later I’m feeling like I just got run over by a truck.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles