Invisiframe install Done - Post Thoughts

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
I wasn't happy with how badly my matte finish was wearing on my new 2020 Comp so I decided to go Invisiframe Matte protection. Installers near me were looking to charge around $50-70/hour, estimating about 4-6 hours total for the job so I decided to do it on my own and quite enjoyed the process and I think I did a pretty dang good job. It wasnt too bad to be honest. I spent about 2 hours a night over the past 3 days, taking my time along the way.

Few initial thoughts on the kit... There is definitely room for improvement on precision and layout. In the end, my bike is about 70% more protected which is the end goal but there is some room in aesthetic department to be honest. This probably will only apply to the Matte kit users as glossy paint installation is near invisible, but on Matte, it does turn the frame to more of a satin finish which spots that are unprotected stand out from those that are. Now keep in mind these are knitpicks and speak only for the looks department and not its purpose but I thought other potential Matte owners may want to see details.

Some of my complaints:

The largest downtube section is meant to be wrapped around the bottom of the tube to meet around the top of the tube. With this design there would be a clearly visible 1" gap in the seam staring right up at the rider and the rest of the world. I decided to cut holes around the water cage frame taps and wrap it the other way around. This clearly looks better but leaves that 1" gap on the underside of the downtube where protection is most needed. I'm going to custom cut a custom piece of xpel to fill this strip or actually order the original OEM film which is about 3 times thicker and rewrap this underside section (air bubbles around the decals are still settling)

DSC05825.JPG
DSC05817.JPG

There are two separate kit sections (left and right) for where the headtube meets the downtube. These are fairly small pieces and I have no idea why they didn't just make it part of the larger downtube section to have one continuous not seamed section. I spent a lot of time working to get these to bunt up as closely as possible but the frame welds hindered this.

DSC05818.JPG

Upper seat Tube section doesnt wrap all the way around, Its about 3/4 coverage. I'd like this to meet a bit closer around the front. It also doesnt extend all the way down behind the rear shock so its open to some rock abuse.

DSC05819.JPG

Motor housing is 3 separate parts, left, right and top. Id like this to just be one piece to eliminate the visibility of seams, Im sure it would take a but longer to work with but to be honest the larger the pieces are, the easier to squeegee. Also having all the edges from 3 separate pieces, I can see the top edges getting pulled up by my shoes etc.

DSC05823.JPG

This one really blows my mind. The head tube section is made of two small sections, left and right. They are only about 2x4 inches in size....why not just make one larger piece that wraps around the front so I dont have this gap in between the sections. I tried to get the gap a little smaller but it did look a little weird on the rear part near the down/top tube being so far forward.

DSC05824.JPG

The Rear triangles were actually the best fitted spots. Thats where I started the job and was very satisfied with the fitment.

DSC05830.JPG

But overall, Im really happy with the kit, the ease of install, the protection it provides and I think she looks pretty bada**. Now for the Grip2 and DPX2 installation!

DSC05837.JPG

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Yes that looks very nice. I bought RideWrap which was then expertly installed by the Spesh store. The gaps are similar all < 5 mm and facing upwards or towards the rear. Quite a few visible hits I can see that would've otherwise gone deep into the substrate to expose metal.

Gabypb

Nov 8, 2019
Ecuador
I wasn't happy with how badly my matte finish was wearing on my new 2020 Comp so I decided to go Invisiframe Matte protection. Installers near me were looking to charge around $50-70/hour, estimating about 4-6 hours total for the job so I decided to do it on my own and quite enjoyed the process and I think I did a pretty dang good job. It wasnt too bad to be honest. I spent about 2 hours a night over the past 3 days, taking my time along the way.

Few initial thoughts on the kit... There is definitely room for improvement on precision and layout. In the end, my bike is about 70% more protected which is the end goal but there is some room in aesthetic department to be honest. This probably will only apply to the Matte kit users as glossy paint installation is near invisible, but on Matte, it does turn the frame to more of a satin finish which spots that are unprotected stand out from those that are. Now keep in mind these are knitpicks and speak only for the looks department and not its purpose but I thought other potential Matte owners may want to see details.

Some of my complaints:

The largest downtube section is meant to be wrapped around the bottom of the tube to meet around the top of the tube. With this design there would be a clearly visible 1" gap in the seam staring right up at the rider and the rest of the world. I decided to cut holes around the water cage frame taps and wrap it the other way around. This clearly looks better but leaves that 1" gap on the underside of the downtube where protection is most needed. I'm going to custom cut a custom piece of xpel to fill this strip or actually order the original OEM film which is about 3 times thicker and rewrap this underside section (air bubbles around the decals are still settling)

View attachment 20754
View attachment 20763

There are two separate kit sections (left and right) for where the headtube meets the downtube. These are fairly small pieces and I have no idea why they didn't just make it part of the larger downtube section to have one continuous not seamed section. I spent a lot of time working to get these to bunt up as closely as possible but the frame welds hindered this.

View attachment 20755

Upper seat Tube section doesnt wrap all the way around, Its about 3/4 coverage. I'd like this to meet a bit closer around the front. It also doesnt extend all the way down behind the rear shock so its open to some rock abuse.

View attachment 20756

Motor housing is 3 separate parts, left, right and top. Id like this to just be one piece to eliminate the visibility of seams, Im sure it would take a but longer to work with but to be honest the larger the pieces are, the easier to squeegee. Also having all the edges from 3 separate pieces, I can see the top edges getting pulled up by my shoes etc.

View attachment 20758

This one really blows my mind. The head tube section is made of two small sections, left and right. They are only about 2x4 inches in size....why not just make one larger piece that wraps around the front so I dont have this gap in between the sections. I tried to get the gap a little smaller but it did look a little weird on the rear part near the down/top tube being so far forward.

View attachment 20759

The Rear triangles were actually the best fitted spots. Thats where I started the job and was very satisfied with the fitment.

View attachment 20760

But overall, Im really happy with the kit, the ease of install, the protection it provides and I think she looks pretty bada**. Now for the Grip2 and DPX2 installation!

View attachment 20762

Hello!

I just received my Levo with the Invisiframe installed, and the installer explained the reason for the horrible gap on top of the downtube. I want to have this part rewrapped, can you tell me where can I order what you mention “custom piece of xpel to fill this strip or actually order the original OEM film which is about 3 times thicker“.
504C65C2-1986-4B98-81D5-3309B7A04A4C.jpeg

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Yes that looks very nice. I bought RideWrap which was then expertly installed by the Spesh store. The gaps are similar all < 5 mm and facing upwards or towards the rear. Quite a few visible hits I can see that would've otherwise gone deep into the substrate to expose metal.
+ 1 for ride wrap. Had a little bit more coverage

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Fitted Invisiframe myself last week to my Levo. Rob mentioned in one of his videos about the downtube gap so when I ordered it I asked for some extra and they added some off cuts to the order foc. I cut them to width and fitted which hid the gap.

Tbh my bodge job left loads of bubbles anyhow so the gap was the least of my worries ?

Gabypb

Nov 8, 2019
Ecuador
Fitted Invisiframe myself last week to my Levo. Rob mentioned in one of his videos about the downtube gap so when I ordered it I asked for some extra and they added some off cuts to the order foc. I cut them to width and fitted which hid the gap.

Tbh my bodge job left loads of bubbles anyhow so the gap was the least of my worries ?
Hi, this morning my Levo shows some peeling of the Invisiframe, has anyone experienced this? I tried to reattach it using the squeegee, but it keeps getting peeled off. ?

36A8E0CC-38B1-4A95-A60C-63B98751708F.jpeg

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Hi, this morning my Levo shows some peeling of the Invisiframe, has anyone experienced this? I tried to reattach it using the squeegee, but it keeps getting peeled off. ?

When installing you need to use something like 5ml of baby shampoo to 250ml of water (can’t remember the exact ratio, but I imagine it’ll be on the Invisiframe site) and spray it all over the back before sticking it on.

I’d mix some up and spray the back, then press it down whilst continually squeezing out the liquid.

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Hello!

I just received my Levo with the Invisiframe installed, and the installer explained the reason for the horrible gap on top of the downtube. I want to have this part rewrapped, can you tell me where can I order what you mention “custom piece of xpel to fill this strip or actually order the original OEM film which is about 3 times thicker“.

The shop that wrapped my car gave me some spare xpel sheets. Seemed to be the same thickness as the Invisiframe.

Yeah that gap is crazy. Id just get some auto xpel and fill it in. Its only cosmetic but on matte it shows for sure.

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Worth trying to heat it with a hairdryer then hold it down for a few mins to see if that gets it to stick ?

+1 to this. When I was doing mine i would notice small edges would lift off the metal a bit. What I would do was use a hairdryer and press really hard down on the edge for about a minute or two. TBH that was the most time consuming part as I did this around every single edge on the wrap.

I'd soap it up real good, get it clean underneath and then heat it up and press down for a few minutes slowly in each spot leading out to the edge until it adheres well.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
i have xpel on my car, love it. but i wasnt going to spend the same cash on my bike...i ride pretty rough terrain and it was bound to get scratched and damaged.

i ordered ali express invisifilm..its basicly usd3-5 for metres of the stuff. slightly thinner than original xpel, but it works fine. The best part is..if i have a bad crash, i just remove the film and slap on a fresh new sheet

Gabypb

Nov 8, 2019
Ecuador
Worth trying to heat it with a hairdryer then hold it down for a few mins to see if that gets it to stick ?
Thanks for the tip ??
When installing you need to use something like 5ml of baby shampoo to 250ml of water (can’t remember the exact ratio, but I imagine it’ll be on the Invisiframe site) and spray it all over the back before sticking it on.

I’d mix some up and spray the back, then press it down whilst continually squeezing out the liquid.
thanks, I’ll try that ?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany

Some of my complaints:

View attachment 20754
View attachment 20763

View attachment 20755

View attachment 20756

View attachment 20758

View attachment 20759

View attachment 20760

View attachment 20762
Thank you for the detailed description and pics. Just bought a matt black Levo and you helped me decided to get the film.
Question: It's now over four years later. Were you happy with the result long term?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Just bought matt Invisiframe for my gloss black Levo Alloy (awaiting delivery)

I wanted to note two points:
  • Sending to Germany is a pain thanks to Brexit. Invisiframe did everything correctly and service was great (thank you Sarah!), but it took nearly two weeks to get through customs. Sarah mentioned that Germany seems to be particularly bad.
  • Invisiframe now also include fitting fluid (soapy stuff, I guess), two alcohol wipes and a cloth along with the squeegee.
It's my first wrap, so I'll report back how it goes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles