Installing lights on EP8?

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
I tried to search for instructions on how to install a front light in EP8's light connection, but no luck. Can someone help me; where should the wire be connected on the motor, is there anything I should do the make it work?

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Remove motor left cover, where battery cable is. There is connection with two screws that supply 12V 1A for lights. But it has to be activated in SW using etube or Stunlocker

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
I tried to change the light status in STunlocker, but I don't have a supported firmware. Can I set it on in the etube app? If so, where?

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Etube for cell does not include this set up for the light, You need etube for windows which requires the connection box SM-PCE002, at +150€. But you can go to a store and they can do it for you, but the will probably charge you.

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
I got it installed :=)

And it did not even need Stunlocker, there was an option in the Settings- menu to set the lights on! Infact, I first tried the Stunlocker, but could not get it connected at all with Canyon's EP8, don't know why..?

kmruuska

Apr 25, 2021
Luxembourg
I got it installed :=)

And it did not even need Stunlocker, there was an option in the Settings- menu to set the lights on! Infact, I first tried the Stunlocker, but could not get it connected at all with Canyon's EP8, don't know why..?

Can I ask how did you manage? I have not found Light setting in E-Tube app for iPhone. Or do mean through the bike display (which my Rise doesn’t have…)?

AlliumPorrum

Aug 17, 2020
Finland
No I did not use Etube or any other phone application. I actually did try Stunlocker first, but could not get it connected at all...

I noticed that in the EP8's small display, in the Settings- menu, there is a submenu "Lights" where it can be switched on. And the bike is 2021 Canyon GrandCanyon:ON.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Along similar lines with bike lights, we've started looking for lighted bike pedals. I thought that there would be some magnetic induction pedals available, but clearly there must be something with the physics that prohibits using the turning motion of the pedals to power a small LED light, because the only thing we could find was this, which must be charged: .

It's a great idea, but are there any engineers here that know why mag-induc lighted bike pedals aren't a thing?
Wouldn't it be better to use the reflectors? They're very effective and they're using the light source of the car.

erafune

Dec 11, 2021
Sweden
Etube for cell does not include this set up for the light, You need etube for windows which requires the connection box SM-PCE002, at +150€. But you can go to a store and they can do it for you, but the will probably charge you.

You do not always need E-Tube for windows and the $200 PCE1/02 tool if the Light menu is locked. You can unlock the light menu with older versions of the E-Tube app such as 3.4.3, which is available for free for android in app archives like Apkpure. Worked for E7000 and E8000 and probably more models. But new motors like EP8 may not work with old versions of the app.
More info in this thread: Hardwiring Lights to E8000 - EMTB Forums
Spread the info so people dont waste $200 just to unlock their lights.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles