Hardwiring Lights to E8000

svartbjorn

Aug 25, 2019
Norway
A good point; a couple of LEDs shouldn't need that much power. Most lights seem to be 6W, too.
Perhaps there is an issue with the Shimano firmware settings.
I completely agree. It doesn't add up. I did the same calculations before I installed my cell phone charge system, and figured out there should be plenty of battery power to be able to use the light port. However, the reality was quite different. I had never had any issues with the battery power and the gauge bars on the display had always been very accurate and reliable. BUT it all changed once I enabled the light port. The only explanation is that I had enabled the light port. All conditions else were the same as on all previous rides. I discussed with Shimano with the same arguments as you are mentioning - that the light power couldn't count for that much power. Shimano explained to me that the calculations the controller does, are complex. And Shimano confirmed they had seen exactly the same issues as I experienced when the light port enabled. I do not take the chance to test it out again. I had no motor for 5 miles, so I do not want to spoil another ride just to test it again. If anybody could do some more tests, that would be very interesting.

AdrianJW

Aug 26, 2018
Oxford
I completely agree. It doesn't add up. I did the same calculations before I installed my cell phone charge system, and figured out there should be plenty of battery power to be able to use the light port. However, the reality was quite different. I had never had any issues with the battery power and the gauge bars on the display had always been very accurate and reliable. BUT it all changed once I enabled the light port. The only explanation is that I had enabled the light port. All conditions else were the same as on all previous rides. I discussed with Shimano with the same arguments as you are mentioning - that the light power couldn't count for that much power. Shimano explained to me that the calculations the controller does, are complex. And Shimano confirmed they had seen exactly the same issues as I experienced when the light port enabled. I do not take the chance to test it out again. I had no motor for 5 miles, so I do not want to spoil another ride just to test it again. If anybody could do some more tests, that would be very interesting.
Presumably, if you have your phone with you, there is nothing to stop you connecting to the controller and disabling the light function if you lose power to the motor. That creates another problem if it’s dark, though!

svartbjorn

Aug 25, 2019
Norway
Presumably, if you have your phone with you, there is nothing to stop you connecting to the controller and disabling the light function if you lose power to the motor. That creates another problem if it’s dark, though!
Good point. Just hope that the controller will turn on the power to the motor when I disable the light port. But still I do not want to accept a shorter range when the light port is enabled. It is on the longer rides I need external power to my phone to keep the screen on while navigating, so that would be in conflict with maximizing available power for the motor.

AdrianJW

Aug 26, 2018
Oxford
Good point. Just hope that the controller will turn on the power to the motor when I disable the light port. But still I do not want to accept a shorter range when the light port is enabled. It is on the longer rides I need external power to my phone to keep the screen on while navigating, so that would be in conflict with maximizing available power for the motor.
True. That’s frustrating.

Sergei

Nov 28, 2019
Russia, Chelyabinsk.
I installed the headlight SUPERNOVA M 99 Pro on my bike. Near beam 16 W, main beam 32 W. 24 volts. I had to connect to the battery directly. Installed DC \ DC converter AM50E-4824S-NZ (input 36-72 volts, output 24 volts 50 watts). Install the switch on the steering wheel. Be sure to fuse. Shines like a car. ))) It's expensive, but super shines.
After several days of operation, some additions were made to the headlight of the supernova. When the battery is almost empty, the spotlight flashes. Below half the load. Especially high beam. You should look for another DC / DC converter. From 30-32 volts.
IMG_1097.jpg

Last edited:

Bradleisure

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Could someone please post as to where I'd find "enable the lights option using the options on the shimano steps phone app" I can't see it in the Android App.

SimonBrackley

Jan 7, 2021
Exeter
Hi all, I came here trying to work out how to enable the light since it would always beep on the menu when selected. As many people said, it needs enabling via the app. I had the same difficulty as Bradleisure in that I could not find it. It turns out that they have removed the ability to enable the light in versions >4.0.0. I circumvented this by downloading the APK from Apkpure for 3.4.3 and the button is back!! To think that I was seriously considering buying the SM-PCE02! Hopefully this helps someone.

Reactions: Vas

BCBeaver

Dec 9, 2021
BC
I've been unable to find an old version of e-tube app. From what I've read I need to buy an aftermarket app like stunlocker and that doesnt seem reliable from what ive read. WTF Shitmano?

Are there any other ways to turn the lights on?

erafune

Dec 11, 2021
Sweden
Hi all, I came here trying to work out how to enable the light since it would always beep on the menu when selected. As many people said, it needs enabling via the app. I had the same difficulty as Bradleisure in that I could not find it. It turns out that they have removed the ability to enable the light in versions >4.0.0. I circumvented this by downloading the APK from Apkpure for 3.4.3 and the button is back!! To think that I was seriously considering buying the SM-PCE02! Hopefully this helps someone.

Brooo you just saved me $200 and a headache. Thank you thank you thank you! This info was seriously hard to find and need to be on every Shimano light page ever.

erafune

Dec 11, 2021
Sweden
I've been unable to find an old version of e-tube app. From what I've read I need to buy an aftermarket app like stunlocker and that doesnt seem reliable from what ive read. WTF Shitmano?

Are there any other ways to turn the lights on?

Do what SimonBrackley said. Google "Apkpure" on your smartphone (need android afaik). Enter the site and search for "Shimano", select the "E-tube Project Cyclist" app, scroll down to "Previous versions" and select "more", select/download "V3.4.3", find the downloaded file on your phone, open it, let it install, done! I did NOT need the Apkpure App to install the download, even though the site tries to tell you that. Once installed, E-Tube V3.4.3 appeared in the Google Play Store library like a normal app. You should disable automatic updates to prevent it from updating. When you start E-tube 3.4.3 it will try to update to the latest version, so cancel that update. The Light On/Off option is in the Drive Unit customization.
I'm so happy I found this. I used an old phone to download it since I was afraid of malware but so far so good.

Last edited:

BCBeaver

Dec 9, 2021
BC
Got it. I missed the little other versions button. I activated mine and 2 others in the shop. Whoever buys them will never know this hassle. Thanks.

hk3mcm

Feb 7, 2020
Miami Beach, Florida
When I want to enable the lights, it only sounds a beep and the on and off options do not come out?
please i need help
How to enable the lights option using the options in the shimano steps phone app.
I do not find the way if it is possible the most information of the steps that I must follow
Thank you
Florentine
Shimano step E-8000 motor

hk3mcm

Feb 7, 2020
Miami Beach, Florida
Do what SimonBrackley said. Google "Apkpure" on your smartphone (need android afaik). Enter the site and search for "Shimano", select the "E-tube Project Cyclist" app, scroll down to "Previous versions" and select "more", select/download "V3.4.3", find the downloaded file on your phone, open it, let it install, done! I did NOT need the Apkpure App to install the download, even though the site tries to tell you that. Once installed, E-Tube V3.4.3 appeared in the Google Play Store library like a normal app. You should disable automatic updates to prevent it from updating. When you start E-tube 3.4.3 it will try to update to the latest version, so cancel that update. The Light On/Off option is in the Drive Unit customization.
I'm so happy I found this. I used an old phone to download it since I was afraid of malware but so far so good.

Biscuits

Jun 24, 2022
UK
You just need to enable the lights option using the options on the shimano steps phone app.
I found it kinda weird Shimano disable the option on the head unit from new TBH.
also weird there's not a load of easily plug in light head unit options avaialable at a reasonable price.

I spent a few hours installing a Magicshine® MJ-906SE and Shimano specific lead... all proud of myself.... then couldn't get the LIGHT function option on either the App or Display. Might be my age and I'm missing something.

erafune

Dec 11, 2021
Sweden
I spent a few hours installing a Magicshine® MJ-906SE and Shimano specific lead... all proud of myself.... then couldn't get the LIGHT function option on either the App or Display. Might be my age and I'm missing something.
Try the solutions in posts #41 - #48 right above your post. Let us know if it works for you.
Would be nice to know what Shimano motor you have. New posts please do include it.
And no, it's not your age, Shimano has intentionally removed the option for us to easily enable the Lights, most likely because the Lights reserves about the last 10% of the battery (to make sure you have light all way home) which means lower range. Shimano wants you to go to a Shimano service center to enable the Lights option. Or possibly buy the $200+ SM-PCE1 or SM-PCE02, but beware this may no longer work like it used to . Research before buying.

Last edited:

Jarek

Oct 3, 2023
Poland
Any ideas on how to turn on the lights on the EP8 without going into the SC-E7000 display menu? I tried programming another SW-E7000 in e-tube for the display/lighting function, but it doesn't work. Any ideas? It's frustrating that I have to go into this menu every time and I can't do it while riding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles