Installing Hayes Dominion A4 or other Brakes Tips?

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Hi Guys,

I’ve treated myself to a brake upgrade and I’m looking for some installation advice and tips?

This will be the first time I’ve installed a new brake setup.

Cheers.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Have you tried google?
It's a pretty good resource for knowledge if you don't know how to do something.

I used the sram pro brake kit for bleed.

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Have you tried google?
It's a pretty good resource for knowledge if you don't know how to do something.
Agreed a great resource and used for most things. However, hearing first hand from like minded people is often better and surely what this forum is about.

CaptKirk

Feb 28, 2022
Port Huron, Michigan
Hi Guys,

I’ve treated myself to a brake upgrade and I’m looking for some installation advice and tips?

This will be the first time I’ve installed a new brake setup.

Cheers.
Not to be a smart ass, but working on "ANY" Hydraulic brakes system takes prior knowledge, correct tools and practice. Utube vids will show different approaches, and I like to watch multiple posts to see how and what they are doing. Keeping lever above the caliper, and keeping brake line on caliper at the highest point so air can bleed out are just a couple of things to keep in mind

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I rarely use brake cleaner …but when I do the parts to be cleaned are kept away from the bike. It can also be dangerous.

98% of the time I use ISO alcohol for cleaning components.

IMG_7290.jpeg

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
ironic as it sounds, that brake cleaner is the worse thing you could use to clean a brake calliper, can make the rubber seals around the pistons to expand, causing the pistons in the caliper to stick, Then the brakes to stick on.. it's ok on discs or anything else steel. Best thing to clean disc brakes on a bike, any bike, is warm soapy "washing up liquid" water and old toothbrush.

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Not to be a smart ass, but working on "ANY" Hydraulic brakes system takes prior knowledge, correct tools and practice. Utube vids will show different approaches, and I like to watch multiple posts to see how and what they are doing. Keeping lever above the caliper, and keeping brake line on caliper at the highest point so air can bleed out are just a couple of things to keep in mind
Appreciated. I’m very familiar with automotive hydraulic systems. Having only recently got back into riding the most recent brake system I installed on a bike was V brakes 😂

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Installed both front and rear this evening and all went well. Took my time and used the Hayes Tech series on YT for bleed procedure.

Used the small threaded tool supplied with Hayes bleed kit and an old brake hose to help route the new hoses through the frame. This was most nerve wrecking bit.

Off to Llandegla tomorrow and then Antur Stiniog to test them out this weekend!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Don’t forget to break in new brake pads properly. And you may want to clean the rotors as best as you can if you’re using a different pad manufacturer. They may howl if you don’t.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles