Installation of Shimano 160mm Cranks - Sharing my Experience - You may want to read first :)

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Hey Everybody

Shimano finally released a set of 160mm E-Bike cranks (** note: for the EP8 motor .. keep reading)

Background (why I wanted shorter cranks)

I have a 2019 Decoy Pro race, and decided to finally install a 2.6 rear tire .. BUT .. did NOT want to run the flip chip in high position ( I like low BB's and I cannot lie):cool:

The reasoning : The 2.6 tire lowers the rear end of the bike by 5 mm overall diameter, that equates to an additional 2.5mm BB drop (1/2 the height difference or diameter of wheel .. actually slightly less than 2.5 considering geo is like a teeter totter .. but lets go with 2.5 for this example). The HIGH BB setting (via flip chip) elevates the BB by 7 mm. So by running the flip chip in the HIGH position, using the 2.6 wheel, the BB is RAISED by 4.5 mm (7-2.5).

SO the ultimate decision is : Change to a 2.6 rear tire and accept a 2.5 mm BB drop (with more pedal strikes) OR flip the chip and accept a BB that is 4.5 mm higher ?? :unsure: After trying the high setting with the 2.8, I was not sold.

So I bought a set of the newly released 160 mm cranks from Shimano and wanted to share some info with all of you in the event you decide to do the same thing.

The New Shimano 160 mm crankset I installed was released for the EP8 motor can be viewed at :

FC-EM900

The Existing Shimano 165 crankset for the E8000 motor can be found at:

FC-M8050

Now here is what you NEED TO KNOW before going out and purchasing a set of 160mm cranks (from Shimano) and expecting a "bolt on" solution to your pedal strikes

****** The 160mm cranks designed for the EP8 motor have the SAME bottom bracket spindle specs BUT are approximately 4.5 mm shallower in WIDTH (see pics). PS I used the 2mm stock spacer from behind the cranks to achieve a more accurate width measurement in the pics below.

IMG_1720[24191].PNG

View recent photos[24190].jpg

The E8000 motor crankset has a 2 mm spacer behind the cranks. When installing the NEW EP8 160mm cranks, the result is the cranks slide onto the spindle TOO FAR.

As a result, I have to install a new spacer behind the cranks. I know a machinist who made me a few spacers to try out. Finally settled on a 5mm spacer on both sides (to get the same end Q factor and alignment of crank serration interface with spindle)

IMG_1719[24189].jpg

?SAFETY NOTE ?: ***One thing to be aware of. That plastic TAB that clips down (AKA Crank arm safety plate .. pic below) on the 160mm EP8 crankset spindle WILL NOT align with the hole in the E8000 spindle. You will have to REMOVE IT. I replaced the plastic preload cap with an aluminum thread on cap as a result ... gold cap in pic above (because if the cranks ever came loose, I would not want to rely on a plastic cap the keep them on the spindle .. with the loss of the safety tab feature)

51lcLuq64HL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

So end of story. The cranks did WORK (with some modifications), but I needed to replace the 2 mm spacers behind the cranks with 5 mm spacers AND needed to remove the safety tab above from each crank.

If anybody is thinking for buying these 160mm cranks designed around the EP8 motor, and installing on your Decoy with E8000 motor, you may find this post informative.

In the end I was able to gain almost 3mm of pedal clearance and still run the desired low BB position.

Cheers

IMG_1720[24191].PNG

IMG_1719[24189].jpg

IMG_1720[24191].PNG

IMG_1719[24189].jpg

IMG_1720[24191].PNG

IMG_1719[24189].jpg

Last edited:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I had heard they weren't a straight swap but couldn't get a definitive answer as to why so this is very useful, cheers. You don't have any spacers spare do you? Or could you ask your mate to knock some more up for a few quid?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
3mm, eh ? ??

:censored:

Dave. Just use 24mm BB axle spacers. A busy LBS may have some kicking around the workshop but if not they can certainly order you some.
Wheels manufacturing do them in packs and 0.5 or 1mm widths

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Great post! One of the reasons I like the Decoy is the flexibility with the high/low chip. Tweakability to suit your riding preference!

I go with 2.5 or 2.6 tires, high chip setting and shorter Miranda cranks. Nice to see there is another option now with Shimano. I recently put on the Shimano M8000 cassette - much better/smoother than the E13, but that's another story/thread...

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
3mm, eh ? ??

:censored:

Dave. Just use 24mm BB axle spacers. A busy LBS may have some kicking around the workshop but if not they can certainly order you some.
Wheels manufacturing do them in packs and 0.5 or 1mm widths

Good shout, I'm pretty sure I have some kicking around now you mention it. Next purchase is a new battery though, cranks will have to wait

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Hey Everybody

Shimano finally released a set of 160mm E-Bike cranks (** note: for the EP8 motor .. keep reading)

I have a 2019 Decoy Pro race, and decided to finally install a 2.6 rear tire .. BUT .. did NOT want to run the flip chip in high position ( I like low BB's and I cannot lie):cool:

The reasoning : The 2.6 tire lowers the rear end of the bike by 5 mm overall diameter, that equates to an additional 2.5mm BB drop (1/2 the height difference or diameter of wheel .. actually slightly less than 2.5 considering geo is like a teeter totter .. but lets go with 2.5 for this example). The HIGH BB setting (via flip chip) elevates the BB by 7 mm. So by running the flip chip in the HIGH position, using the 2.6 wheel, the BB is RAISED by 4.5 mm (7-2.5).

SO the ultimate decision is : Change to a 2.6 rear tire and accept a 2.5 mm BB drop (with more pedal strikes) OR flip the chip and accept a BB that is 4.5 mm higher ?? :unsure: After trying the high setting with the 2.8, I was not sold.

So I bought a set of the newly released 160 mm cranks from Shimano and wanted to share some info with all of you in the event you decide to do the same thing.

The New Shimano 160 mm crankset I installed was released for the EP8 motor can be viewed at :

FC-EM900

FC-M8050

Now here is what you NEED TO KNOW before going out and purchasing a set of 160mm cranks (from Shimano) and expecting a "bolt on" solution to your pedal strikes

****** The 160mm cranks designed for the EP8 motor have the SAME bottom bracket spindle specs BUT are approximately 4.5 mm shallower in WIDTH (see pics). PS I used the 2mm stock spacer from behind the cranks to achieve a more accurate width measurement in the pics below.

View attachment 54541

View attachment 54542

The E8000 motor crankset has a 2 mm spacer behind the cranks. When installing the NEW EP8 160mm cranks, the result is the cranks slide onto the spindle TOO FAR.

As a result, I have to install a new spacer behind the cranks. I know a machinist who made me a few spacers to try out. Finally settled on a 5mm spacer on both sides (to get the same end Q factor and alignment of crank serration interface with spindle)

View attachment 54543

?SAFETY NOTE ?: ***One thing to be aware of. That plastic TAB that clips down (AKA Crank arm safety plate .. pic below) on the 160mm EP8 crankset spindle WILL NOT align with the hole in the E8000 spindle. You will have to REMOVE IT. I replaced the plastic preload cap with an aluminum thread on cap as a result ... gold cap in pic above (because if the cranks ever came loose, I would not want to rely on a plastic cap the keep them on the spindle .. with the loss of the safety tab feature)

View attachment 54544

So end of story. The cranks did WORK (with some modifications), but I needed to replace the 2 mm spacers behind the cranks with 5 mm spacers AND needed to remove the safety tab above from each crank.

If anybody is thinking for buying these 160mm cranks designed around the EP8 motor, and installing on your Decoy with E8000 motor, you may find this post informative.

In the end I was able to gain almost 3mm of pedal clearance and still run the desired low BB position.

Cheers

View attachment 54541

View attachment 54542

View attachment 54543

View attachment 54541

View attachment 54542

View attachment 54543

View attachment 54541

View attachment 54542

View attachment 54543

Great post. Thats where im at now. Ive been quite good with not many pedal strikes now that my fork is 180. Im also swapping the yari 180 for my fox 38 180 and adding a reverse components .5 degree lower headset spacer so i can ditch the knock block and not have my crown hit the frame. Both the headset spacer and the 38 will raise the bb a further 5ish mm. My cranks on my base level decoy have a slight bend(from when the fork was 160) so i figure id get some 160 xt crank and i thought theyd fit. Good to know if i track some xt's down that ill need those spacers.
Miranda is out of stock on cranks. Lbs is trying to find me xt's. I may have a lead on 160 husquavarna cranks for ep8, and i suppose theres a possibility the huskies will need those spacers as well
Timely post. Cheeers

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Miranda is out of stock on cranks. Lbs is trying to find me xt's. I may have a lead on 160 husquavarna cranks for ep8, and i suppose theres a possibility the huskies will need those spacers as well
Timely post. Cheeers
I just ordered some a few days ago. Be sure to add your email to be notified when they come back in stock again and then grab. That's what I did.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Hey Everybody

FC-EM900

FC-M8050

View attachment 54541

View attachment 54542

View attachment 54543

View attachment 54544

Cheers

View attachment 54541

View attachment 54542

View attachment 54543

View attachment 54541

View attachment 54542

View attachment 54543

View attachment 54541

View attachment 54542

View attachment 54543
Fantastic overview with very informative information. Have the Yeti 160e with EP8 motor and 160mm Shimano cranks. Only have a few rides in and so far no pedal strikes, don't seem to notice any loss of pedal efficiency and the pedal "stroke" feels the same. I also have a YT Decoy Elite set in the low flip chip setting and incur a lot of pedal strikes. Albeit this was my 1st emtb and had a learning curve and a few crashes! Using lower profile pedals has helped and my technique has improved. Still planning on going to a 160mm pedal on my Decoy and from what I've been able to determine, Miranda is the only company offering 160mm that fit the Shimano E8000 motor until now! Here us a local aerospace company in San Diego, California that is manufacturing aluminum and titanium mountain bike components. Based upon communications with their customer service department, will have items in stock beginning end of December. Prices are a little steep but you know the old adage, you get what you pay for!

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Fantastic overview with very informative information. Have the Yeti 160e with EP8 motor and 160mm Shimano cranks. Only have a few rides in and so far no pedal strikes, don't seem to notice any loss of pedal efficiency and the pedal "stroke" feels the same. I also have a YT Decoy Elite set in the low flip chip setting and incur a lot of pedal strikes. Albeit this was my 1st emtb and had a learning curve and a few crashes! Using lower profile pedals has helped and my technique has improved. Still planning on going to a 160mm pedal on my Decoy and from what I've been able to determine, Miranda is the only company offering 160mm that fit the Shimano E8000 motor until now! Here us a local aerospace company in San Diego, California that is manufacturing aluminum and titanium mountain bike components. Based upon communications with their customer service department, will have items in stock beginning end of December. Prices are a little steep but you know the old adage, you get what you pay for!

Those cranks look pretty cool and stiff. I could buy 3 sets of my miranda 160's for the price of one set of ride5dev's though. My mirandas have a full seasomn on them so far and no issues.
'19 decoy came with a 160 fork and that was too low. New decoys come with a 170 38 that effectively lifts the front end 20mm , the bb 6mm and slackens the bike almost a degree. I have a 38 set at 180 and 160 cranks. That allowed me to run it in the liw setting, plus one offset bushing lower it and slackening further, along with a -1 degree hedset. The bike is 2.5 degrees slacker than stock and the bb is only 3mm higher. The cranks and 3mm higher bb give me 7mm more pedal clearance.
I like a slacker seat tube angle on my emtbs because i dont need the jacked up seat to get the pedals turned over like i do on my mtb enduro bike. On the emtb the seat is often down 2 or more inches and im playing on the bike more up and down. Seat all the way up sux for playing on the bike, like riding skinnies with the seat jacked. That being said, i wish my medium decoy was a large then i would slide the seat forward and get another 1.5 degrees steeper sest angle to compliment all my other mods

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Those cranks look pretty cool and stiff. I could buy 3 sets of my miranda 160's for the price of one set of ride5dev's though. My mirandas have a full seasomn on them so far and no issues.
'19 decoy came with a 160 fork and that was too low. New decoys come with a 170 38 that effectively lifts the front end 20mm , the bb 6mm and slackens the bike almost a degree. I have a 38 set at 180 and 160 cranks. That allowed me to run it in the liw setting, plus one offset bushing lower it and slackening further, along with a -1 degree hedset. The bike is 2.5 degrees slacker than stock and the bb is only 3mm higher. The cranks and 3mm higher bb give me 7mm more pedal clearance.
I like a slacker seat tube angle on my emtbs because i dont need the jacked up seat to get the pedals turned over like i do on my mtb enduro bike. On the emtb the seat is often down 2 or more inches and im playing on the bike more up and down. Seat all the way up sux for playing on the bike, like riding skinnies with the seat jacked. That being said, i wish my medium decoy was a large then i would slide the seat forward and get another 1.5 degrees steeper sest angle to compliment all my other mods
Ended up going with e*thirteen 160mm cranks that are compatible with EP8 motor and E8000 motor if you use a spacer that e13 stocks (can use other spacers as stated previously in thread). No issues after a few hundred miles and followed revised oem installation torque settings. Pulling the trigger on the new Canyon Spectral:ON that come with 165mm cranks and will replace with 160mms. Will keep you posted.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Ended up going with e*thirteen 160mm cranks that are compatible with EP8 motor and E8000 motor if you use a spacer that e13 stocks (can use other spacers as stated previously in thread). No issues after a few hundred miles and followed revised oem installation torque settings. Pulling the trigger on the new Canyon Spectral:ON that come with 165mm cranks and will replace with 160mms. Will keep you posted.
Seeing quite a few pros and youtubers with the 5dev now. No real reports yet though

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Seeing quite a few pros and youtubers with the 5dev now. No real reports yet though
I've only seen one on an emtb in the wild, guy said he was just putting some miles on them. They look awesome and are made from aerospace grade aluminum. 5 Dev is actually an off-shoot company of 5th Axis CNC Machining. Have done business with parent company for a long time, excellent quality and workmanship. Price is a little hard to swallow and firm believer you get what you pay for. Getting ready to pull the trigger on the new Canyon Spectral: ON CFR and wanna swap out stock 165mm crank arms with 160mm. Can't find Shimano or E13's in stock. Looks like 5 Dev is about to release EP8 compatible cranks soon. Will update forum if I go with the 5 Dev's.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I've only seen one on an emtb in the wild, guy said he was just putting some miles on them. They look awesome and are made from aerospace grade aluminum. 5 Dev is actually an off-shoot company of 5th Axis CNC Machining. Have done business with parent company for a long time, excellent quality and workmanship. Price is a little hard to swallow and firm believer you get what you pay for. Getting ready to pull the trigger on the new Canyon Spectral: ON CFR and wanna swap out stock 165mm crank arms with 160mm. Can't find Shimano or E13's in stock. Looks like 5 Dev is about to release EP8 compatible cranks soon. Will update forum if I go with the 5 Dev's.
Thatll be a sweet bike. Enjoy👊

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles