information about range with YT Decoy 540 wh battery

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
hello everyone, among the bikes I am observing carefully, there is the new decoy mx core with ep8, the only real doubt, is the 540 wh battery, in the past, I had kenevo with 500 wh battery and I had to be very careful, with consumption, then I had Norco with Shimano 8000 and 630 battery, good range, but nothing exceptional and the same now that I have a moterra neo with bosch gen 4 and 625 battery, I do laps from 30/40 km with 1500 meters of elevation gain and I return home with two LEDs on 5. I ask the owners of decoy with this battery, how many km and height difference can you do? I weigh 75 kg naked

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's always going to be difficult asking as everyone will ride different trails and ride in different ways. These all make huge differences to the range/altitude you'll get.

If it helps. From my end I get more range on a 500wh E8000 bike than a 1.3 Brose Kenevo with a 500wh.

A bosch Gen4 with 625 give me significantly more than both of those, though the harder the terrain the less significant that becomes. But still a lot more. For example the Kenevo I'll be very lucky to ever get more than 1000m out of. The Shimano 1100, but at least 30% more range if it's not too gnarly. The Bosch a minimum of 1600m with a max of about 2500m (emtb mode). The Bosch just seems to be a lot more efficient ,or trick you into working more yourself, than the Shimano.

Remember also the Bosch power bars are not linear. The last two will go faster than the first two for example. But they're more linear than Shimano ones which are a complete inverted pyramid.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Well if you want numbers there should be an older thread about this topic. Max hm I rode this year was 36km with 1400hm and had~10% battery left. I weigh 104 kg. Up was 80% trail, rocks and sometimes very steep. Mostly in Eco-high. My wife had 20% left on the same ride.
But yeah do not expect to shoot up like a gazelle and finish withou pushing. You will have to conserve energy. Keep a constant flow and cadence and go slow.

Josey Wales

Nov 29, 2020
UK
I did Snowden and had about 15% left. I rode 90% Trail, 10 % on Eco. I weigh 105 kgs inc kit.

Screenshot_20210822-185427_Strava.jpg

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Looks like mine would compate to the 2 above. Im about 75kg and id guess my decoy is built heavier with coil shock, schwalbe super dh/super gravity tires with tannus inserts. Around 55lbs
Ive gotten around 4600-4800ft in low 45km's in mostly trail with a little eco. Thats logging road climbs to dh tracks and 5-6km paved road access

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Yeah I also noticed that while I was getting 30% of battery left and 900hm at the start of the holiday I got 50% left with 900hm done at the end of the holiday. It was mainly due to the fact I could ride steeper sections in Eco-high as my fitness improved over the 3 weeks. I live in the Netherlands and do not have easy access to high alpine mountains and riding them is quite different from riding here ;)

@Dirtnvert You are about 30 kg lighter than me, so you should, theoretically, go higher with the same amount of battery. Some is off-set by the tires, riding style, fitness, trail-type etc., but I think on general the battery is really good.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
It's all over the place. I can get 100km in the lowest eco mode when riding with my wife on greens/relatively flat trails. Around 28km - 30km/1300m - 1400m elevation when doing proper mountain biking on technical climbing trails.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
It's all over the place. I can get 100km in the lowest eco mode when riding with my wife on greens/relatively flat trails. Around 28km - 30km/1300m - 1400m elevation when doing proper mountain biking on technical climbing trails.
Damn! I was thknking i could do over 1600m with some trail and a few short boosts and but the majority in eco. Really want to give joss mt a go with my one battery. Nothing flat about joss. Did the hike a bike on my enduro bike and a lot of it was borderline walk or pedal. I just knew id be off walking after short pedals. A bit tech bug quite consistent. All up to all down so its worth a shot

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Damn! I was thknking i could do over 1600m with some trail and a few short boosts and but the majority in eco. Really want to give joss mt a go with my one battery. Nothing flat about joss. Did the hike a bike on my enduro bike and a lot of it was borderline walk or pedal. I just knew id be off walking after short pedals. A bit tech bug quite consistent. All up to all down so its worth a shot
Dial the eco mode down to the lowest with the etube app and you should be able to do it no problem. I tend to use trail mode for most technical climbing. Reserve the eco for going downhill, riding up with analog riders, or for when I want the bigger days. My wife's Decoy should be here in January - so I'll then finally have a spare battery when she isn't riding.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Dial the eco mode down to the lowest with the etube app and you should be able to do it no problem. I tend to use trail mode for most technical climbing. Reserve the eco for going downhill, riding up with analog riders, or for when I want the bigger days. My wife's Decoy should be here in January - so I'll then finally have a spare battery when she isn't riding.
Good idea. Ill have to dial things in for that ride

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
If there are parts of the route with tarmac then pump up the back tire. This also helps to get range, but wont do you any good off road ;)
Its all singletrack dirt up 5kft to the summit/fire lookout and return the same way all down. The majority of the trail and boost is the first half then the mountain turns to a big ramp and i think eco will be fine. Ill be using the majority of the battery early so thatll play on the mind

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
4600ft (~1400m) is about the max I can get out of the battery (+/- 5-10% battery left). I can comfortably get 4000ft (~1200m) out of my battery even if I use mostly trail-medium. My disadvantage is my weight ....>100kg. Lighter riders get more benefit out of the max torque also and the battery consumption is lower. But hey I'm not complaining :).

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
My other half can Eco at Bike Park Wales and she topped out at just over 2000m vertical (66km distance).

Its a long old day though on the E8000 in Eco it’s only a little more assistance than riding a normal bike. I can climb at the same pace comfortably on the normal bike.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Hi that are some vertical meters. Looking at the distance the vertical % would have to be low.
The steeper you go the more energy it requires for the same weight. Because P = W/t and W = f • d. The motors torque is limited by 70nm. This means that a lighter person will have much more benefit from the assistance percentage wise compared to their weight than a heavier rider. I have to ( ~twice as heavy as my wife) put much more energy in to be able to climbing a certain amount of vertical meters than my wife. . Now I am much stronger than my wife, but if it the climbing percentage gets higher I cannot keep up anymore as my muscles have a limit. Usually in normal trails I have 10-15% less battery left than my wife. If the trails are really steep and I have to use trail more it becomes 25% due to the fact that I am always using the full power of the motor and my much lighter wife uses full power less.

Switching to e-mtb has however complete turned the tables. On analogue bikes my wife cannot keep up with me, now it is the other way around. Or as I like to say; more challenge for me and less frustration for her. Now we bike together without waiting and because of this increased pleasure we actually go on more rides! Also my wife now does much more technical decents. Stuff she used to step down for n she now rides. This is also because of the confidence from the Decoys geoemetry and overall capability compared to the Jeffsy, but also because she is less tired when we are ready to decent!

His_Turdness

Nov 12, 2020
Finland
I recently got about 20 km riding mostly on boost, average speed was over 30 km/h, max speed closer to 50. :D Mostly flat. Boost mode really drains the battery. On trail I get closer to 60 km and 100 km on eco.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
Yeah its hard to believe they went with the 540 battery another year, just goes to show how much the scarcity of bikes has affected things, if people could get their hands on other brands these things would be unsellable

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Hi that are some vertical meters. Looking at the distance the vertical % would have to be low.
The steeper you go the more energy it requires for the same weight. Because P = W/t and W = f • d. The motors torque is limited by 70nm. This means that a lighter person will have much more benefit from the assistance percentage wise compared to their weight than a heavier rider. I have to ( ~twice as heavy as my wife) put much more energy in to be able to climbing a certain amount of vertical meters than my wife. . Now I am much stronger than my wife, but if it the climbing percentage gets higher I cannot keep up anymore as my muscles have a limit. Usually in normal trails I have 10-15% less battery left than my wife. If the trails are really steep and I have to use trail more it becomes 25% due to the fact that I am always using the full power of the motor and my much lighter wife uses full power less.

Switching to e-mtb has however complete turned the tables. On analogue bikes my wife cannot keep up with me, now it is the other way around. Or as I like to say; more challenge for me and less frustration for her. Now we bike together without waiting and because of this increased pleasure we actually go on more rides! Also my wife now does much more technical decents. Stuff she used to step down for n she now rides. This is also because of the confidence from the Decoys geoemetry and overall capability compared to the Jeffsy, but also because she is less tired when we are ready to decent!
Exactly the same here. My wife has been riding the Decoy and I've been riding the Meta when we've been going out. The Decoy is smaller than the Meta so suits her better, but is still too large really. She has a smaller Decoy on order from July, but who knows when that will arrive.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
The bike range is entirely dependent upon weight of rider and terrain. Sure, I can get close to 100k on flat terrain and on eco, but these are highend mountain bikes, and I could ride similar terrain easily on a cheap hardtail. On terrain these bike were designed for, I can get around 1200-1300m elevation and about 25k distance. Mix of trail for the steep technical climbs, occasional boost, and eco for the descents - sometimes trail if the descents also involve a lot of uphill sections.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles