In light of the Shimano EP8 launch and recent posts......

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yeah. One of the reasons I didn't buy a Decoy was the motor. Nothing specific, I just didn't gel with it. The bike handles really well, but seemed to lack punch. I rode 3 over a weekend and they all felt the same, so it was definitely the motor.

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
Granted, the only other Ebike I have ever ridden was about half a mile on a Levo two years ago.

That gave me the bug to get an Ebike and two years later I did. Had a cube for a number of years, so wanted to go down their Ebike route but at the time, to me, a motor was a motor but since being part of this forum, it’s amazing the differences between the main motors.

never ridden any E8000 and I’m sure they are nice but I’m glad Cube went with the Bosch route ?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
To be honest, my electric motor could be designed and built by Rolls Royce and I wouldn’t give a fig as long as it did the job and was quiet.

The latter is why I wouldn’t consider a Bosch or EP8 unit now.

That said I’d be much more happy if motors of any type were more reliable, and/or easily user serviceable with regard to bearings etc.

Reliability > Noise > Power for me, I don’t think any motors fully meet the first criteria unfortunately.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
To be honest, my electric motor could be designed and built by Rolls Royce and I wouldn’t give a fig as long as it did the job and was quiet.

The latter is why I wouldn’t consider a Bosch or EP8 unit now.

That said I’d be much more happy if motors of any type were more reliable, and/or easily user serviceable with regard to bearings etc.

Reliability > Noise > Power for me, I don’t think any motors fully meet the first criteria unfortunately.

e7000 is your motor then.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK

Why?

I run an E8000 and 2 x TSDZ2 setups currently, all quiet and fingers crossed proving reliable as well.

That’s not to say I wouldn’t happily run a Bosch, just that it wouldn’t be my first choice as I don’t like the noise.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

But the e7000 is probably the most unreliable motor out there, it easily won the most unreliable when I did my motor failure analysis (to the level that it was so bad I didn't even ever list it so as not to scare everyone off who had one). It made the early bosch and later brose motors seem like faultless impervious technological marvels.

Literally everyone I know with an e7000 has had it replaced.

It's also 100% none user serviceable. It's pretty much not even after market serviceable because of the way it's assembled so it's a throwaway.

I was really surprised they didn't just junk the e7000 and keep the e8000 as the second tier motor. At least the e8000 you can strip down and change things if you're really determined - though appears it won't have much third party support due to software issues. One can only guess that the assembly techniques mean the e7000 has a far higher profit margin.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
But the e7000 is probably the most unreliable motor out there, it easily won the most unreliable when I did my motor failure analysis (to the level that it was so bad I didn't even ever list it so as not to scare everyone off who had one). It made the early bosch and later brose motors seem like faultless impervious technological marvels.

Literally everyone I know with an e7000 has had it replaced.

It's also 100% none user serviceable. It's pretty much not even after market serviceable because of the way it's assembled so it's a throwaway.

I was really surprised they didn't just junk the e7000 and keep the e8000 as the second tier motor. At least the e8000 you can strip down and change things if you're really determined - though appears it won't have much third party support due to software issues. One can only guess that the assembly techniques mean the e7000 has a far higher profit margin.

Thanx Zim I had no idea that the e7000 had that bad of a track record. Crazy that they didn’t scrap the 7000 and keep the 8000 as you say.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Knut seemed to like the e7000 very much when he rode it. Was just reading a post from 2019 where he said he liked it better than the Bosch cx on trails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles