In car charging?

Strugglinon

Dec 15, 2019
North Lakes
Absolutely loving my new 160 cube.
For a day of self uplifting, ( being close to the car) is there a car charger available for the 625 power tube battery?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Install a power inverter rated for your charger, problem solved. Hardwiring to car battery will be necessary for enough juice for most home chargers.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Careful you don't flatten your car battery. Your eeb will suck it all happily..!

I think there are inverters designed to cut out when the car battery voltage drops below a certain level.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yep, most 12V chargers struggle to put out more than 100W so an inverter will be needed, but even if your car battery will charge the ebike it is likely to be damaged if you do that regularly without the engine idling (they are not designed for deep discharge scenarios). Might be better to just try and find a mains power point nearby...

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
If you really want to do it, best to buy a Leisure Battery and wire it into your Car Loom, you can get splitters that will charge your car battery first then the leisure. Leisure batteries can be deep discharged without damage.

Then, of course, it all gets very expensive against driving to a cafe and chucking them a fiver to plugin and have a coffee and bite to eat... Your best bet is to find a cafe nearby or another battery. I've honestly never needed more than the 700wh gives apart from Bike Park Wales but that's a unique case and you can charge there at Lunchtime for £5. I bought a generator but to be honest like I say 5 hours on the bike is enough from me from the 700wh..

There was a BMW/Specialized charger floating around but the output wattage is not much to write home about.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
About £200 using Halfords and Argos for a massive capacity inverter and leisure battery. Probably enough for 2 full charges of a 500wh battery. Many cars now have 12v sockets in boot so the leisure battery can be topped up as you drive along, ready to be used whenever. No fear of flattening your car battery.

9EC88858-2BD8-463F-866F-9D33486B5ECB.png
1A8DD6F4-CA95-4C2B-B82A-3F78475C2AA2.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
...........Then, of course, it all gets very expensive against driving to a cafe and chucking them a fiver to plugin and have a coffee and bite to eat... Your best bet is to find a cafe nearby or another battery. I've honestly never needed more than the 700wh gives apart from Bike Park Wales but that's a unique case and you can charge there at Lunchtime for £5..............

£5 that is outrageous! :eek:
During the day (the expensive time), my electricity costs me 22.7p per Kwhr. So to charge up from empty to 700whr would cost me less than 16 pence.

They are charging £5 because they can, not because it is a fair price.

Strugglinon

Dec 15, 2019
North Lakes
About £200 using Halfords and Argos for a massive capacity inverter and leisure battery. Probably enough for 2 full charges of a 500wh battery. Many cars now have 12v sockets in boot so the leisure battery can be topped up as you drive along, ready to be used whenever. No fear of flattening your car battery.

View attachment 26911 View attachment 26912
Oof, a bit more than one of those £30 Amazon jobbies. I’m probably best off with the cadge a charge at the Cafe option.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
£5 that is outrageous! :eek:
During the day (the expensive time), my electricity costs me 22.7p per Kwhr. So to charge up from empty to 700whr would cost me less than 16 pence.

They are charging £5 because they can, not because it is a fair price.

Yeh it’s a lot, but one uplift is £6 and you can use the socket all day.

For sure but it's a captive audience..! It's a rip off but hey, it beats spending £200 plus on doing it at my Car..

Personally I would buy another battery if it's epic all day rides you want :)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles