I'm officially baffled by this problem now (battery/controller/BMS issue ?)

realslimshady

May 8, 2024
central Portugal
Hi everyone. My first post and it's a bit of a saga, so if you can be bothered to read all the way through I'll appreciate it!
So, my fundamental mistake was buying a Chinese eBike online, a Shengmilo MX02s.
From the moment it arrived I had problems, the first one was working out that the battery, which had an on/off switch, HAD to be switched on before loading onto the bike. After that it was generally ok, the throttle wouldn't work on lower assistance level settings, but I did 500+ miles on it between June and October last year.
Then one day it simply quit, switched off. Now it gets complicated.
I checked the battery voltage- this was always 54v when switched ON, about 28v when switched OFF (don't ask me, I've no idea why), and all I was getting was 28v.
So it's the switch.
No. Taking the switch out of the equation changed nothing. The battery had 54v in it, but would only output 28.
So, it's the BMS- order one (without a switch) from ebay. Arrived, fitted, 0v. Checked the battery voltage, one of the cell clusters had died. Replaced the five dead cells, back to 54v at the pack, 0v output.
Third BMS fixed it- we now had 54v output again.
Meanwhile.....
While I had been waiting for the BMS and cells to arrive, I borrowed another identical battery from a friend. All seemed well for about 10 minutes, then it just switched off again. Removed and refitted the battery, went for another 5 minutes, then repeated, and repeated. Which would seem to indicate that the problem was not the battery....?
So now I have my sorted battery pack, fitted to the bike, all seemed well, 15 minutes in, switched off, would not come back to life. Wouldn't come back to life until connected to charger, where it was instantly back at 54v.
My thinking now was, both battery packs can't be duff (the one I borrowed was new and unused, bought as a spare) so, it's got to be the controller, surely? Buy another from the manufacturer, 108 euros and two months later it has finally shown up. Fitted today and, you guessed it, exactly the same problem, with both battery packs.
I am waiting on a 4th BMS to try on my pack, but, any thoughts welcome.
Meanwhile (again) I went to Decathlon and bought a Rockrider 500 which has been great straight out of the box :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles