I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
hi ive got a scott genius ( i know completely different bike) my speed sensor in in a simler place do you think this would go on roughly?

It's possible it may fit. I had someone buy it for their YT Decoy and it ended up fitting perfect without an issue. Your bike seems to use a different brake rotor so you'd need to use the universal adapter. Based on how the hub looks I'd go for the LSS DT 2.0 as the hub axle diameter looks close to the DT Swiss 18.7mm (you could measure yours to be sure).

Martin DH

Apr 27, 2020
Berkeley, California
Just finished installing mine! I tried it yesterday and I have to say that this LSS combined with the BLEvo is just amazing! It takes the riding experience to a whole new level!!
I got some PTFE powder to use inside the LSS, I believe it should work better that graphite. I am a bit concerned about the little gap in the LSS and wished that for the price it offered a little more sealed protection. Overall very happy with the device!! Thanks JD!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_e99a.jpg

BrockDM

Apr 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Just wanted to give an update on how the LSS has been on my 2020 Kenevo Expert. Roughly 50 miles so far and the operation has been great. You really notice how much more power 3 wants to keep pulling granted your legs can keep up haha.

I noticed a fair amount of noise when I first installed one of them (I purchased 2). I applied dry graphite lube and rode a little but it still seems to be present. Once you get riding trails and the cassette starts howling you can no longer hear it so I have no complaints. I think it was user error anyways as my other kenevo makes virtually no noise.

All in all I'm loving it. I will report back when I'm able to put on a few more miles

Dennis

Mar 23, 2020
Sacramento
Hi @Dennis. I'm not very familiar with the 2016 Levo, do you know if it is similar to the 2017/2018? Does it use the same rear brake rotor? Same magnet location? Is the frame the same? If the answer is yes to all those it should fit ok. But to be extra sure if you have some calipers or some way to measure your DT Swiss exterior axle diameter, if it is 18.7-19mm then you should be good with the 2017/2018 LSS DT version.
I finally bought the 2017/2018 beta version for my 2016 Levo. After some problems with a magnet that was too thick, i was able to purchase the proper 10mm x 3mm size (pack of 50!). This version fits my 2016 Levo and has been working nicely on my last 5 rides. Thank you jd-3d. Attached is a photo of the installed LSS.

IMG_8251[1].JPG

PQLJ1045[1].JPG

IMG_8251[1].JPG

PQLJ1045[1].JPG

Adejager58

Jul 4, 2019
Australia
I was gifted from a friend with a LSS gear that is compatible for a 2019 Levo

However I have a 2020 Levo Sl.
I have the original set of wheels which im going to throw a set of Maxxis Hookworms on for commuting to and from work and other another set of wheels for normal mtb use without the LSS planetry gear.

So my Question is, should i see if i can find a flat 350 tourque cap fromor purchase a 2021 LSS not sure if its the same as the 2020 Levo Comp on the wewbsite it says its the same wheel but ???? @jd_3d

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I was gifted from a friend with a LSS gear that is compatible for a 2019 Levo

However I have a 2020 Levo Sl.
I have the original set of wheels which im going to throw a set of Maxxis Hookworms on for commuting to and from work and other another set of wheels for normal mtb use without the LSS planetry gear.

So my Question is, should i see if i can find a flat 350 tourque cap fromor purchase a 2021 LSS not sure if its the same as the 2020 Levo Comp on the wewbsite it says its the same wheel but ???? @jd_3d

Hi @Adejager58. I don't have access to a 2020 Levo SL yet so I'm not sure if its compatible with the LSS. I'm in the process of trying to get some pictures of the clearance and sensor/magnet positions to see if it would work. If anyone happens to have tried it on a Levo SL please let me know how it worked out for you.

Martin DH

Apr 27, 2020
Berkeley, California
Last edited:

Martin DH

Apr 27, 2020
Berkeley, California
Hey @jd_3d , I decided that i will switch change the brakes since the Sram Guides are being such a headache (the rotors have warped, the pistons get stucked, low performace, noise, etc). So, have you designed a piece to attach the LSS to a magura MDR-P 203mm rotor? (See link below).

Is there a way you can think i can attach the LSS?

Thanks!
Hey @jd_3d , I appreciate your response. Any thoughts about it would be helpful.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hey @jd_3d , I appreciate your response. Any thoughts about it would be helpful.

Hi @Martin DH, sorry for not responding earlier as I missed the notification of a new message. The best way I found to support all the rotor options out there is with my universal rotor adapter:

You just need some small zip-ties and the part above and it should allow you to attach any rotor to the LSS.

Martin DH

Apr 27, 2020
Berkeley, California
Hi @Martin DH, sorry for not responding earlier as I missed the notification of a new message. The best way I found to support all the rotor options out there is with my universal rotor adapter:

You just need some small zip-ties and the part above and it should allow you to attach any rotor to the LSS.
I'll look into it! thanks!

Ap Pawell

Jun 25, 2020
Czech Republic
Ahoj, mám otázku ohledně instalace sady LSS DT verze 2.0 - Planetární soukolí.

Na youtube jsem našel video, ale v části zvané „slunce“ je malý rozdíl (T: 1 MAT: BNVP EHV-S309 # 4/5). Ve videu je slunce plné (se spodkem) a magnet je přilepen k této ploše, ale mám jen obrys slunce. Mám tedy přilepit magnet do stran nebo ho vůbec nepřilepit?

Prosím dej mi vědět. Děkuji předem, Paule.

D940DCFB-C364-4CF9-A6B3-44B144E8A8D5.jpeg

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Ahoj, mám otázku ohledně instalace sady LSS DT verze 2.0 - Planetární soukolí.

Na youtube jsem našel video, ale v části zvané „slunce“ je malý rozdíl (T: 1 MAT: BNVP EHV-S309 # 4/5). Ve videu je slunce plné (se spodkem) a magnet je přilepen k této ploše, ale mám jen obrys slunce. Mám tedy přilepit magnet do stran nebo ho vůbec nepřilepit?

Prosím dej mi vědět. Děkuji předem, Paule.

View attachment 34273

Hi @Ap Pawell. Yes, I recommend using glue on the sides of the magnet and the inner walls of the gear to keep them firmly attached.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I had been meaning to create a Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) for the LSS for a while, and finally got it done. This should hopefully address the most common questions regarding the LSS, but I will try and add to it as new questions come up. You can read the FAQ here:

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hey JD_3D and other, I buy neodym magnet N42 (1,8kg) or N52 (2,3kg)???

And size was 10x3mm?

Hi Peltola, if you can get an N52 I would recommend it as the strength will be higher so a more reliable signal. But N42 should also work fine. Yes the size is 10x3mm.

Gspot

Jul 28, 2019
NW
OK found the YT version. I have a Focus with the e8000. My axle diameter seems fine.
I measured from the edge of axle to center of magnet at 1.1 inch or 28mm.
Does this sound within the parameters? My axle measures 18.7mm (Novatec hub)
So maybe the DT version?

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
OK found the YT version. I have a Focus with the e8000. My axle diameter seems fine.
I measured from the edge of axle to center of magnet at 1.1 inch or 28mm.
Does this sound within the parameters? My axle measures 18.7mm (Novatec hub)
So maybe the DT version?

Hi @Gspot, the LSS DT 2.0 has a distance of 11mm from the edge of the axle to the center of the magnet, so its quite a bit closer to the axle. I'm not sure if that would be too far away to trigger the sensor. The other option is the 2017/2018 version of the LSS which has the magnet position a little further out, but still only 16mm from edge of axle to center of the magnet. This was as far as I could push out the magnet without running into frame clearance issues on the Levos.

If you do try it, I think you'd be the first person with an e8000 to attempt it, so I'm sure others here would be interested in the outcome. Are you running the 200mm SRAM Centerline rotors?

Gspot

Jul 28, 2019
NW
Hmmm. So about a cm off? Maybe the stronger magnet? No it is a HT so a 180.
I have a Levo magnet somewhere? Will have to empty the parts bin and test fit and
see if the sensor picks it up? So the YTs must have a closer setup? Don't know anyone
with a YT to inspect. Will have to scour the web.....
Thanks for the help JD.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA

I bought your universal rotor adapter for my Magura 220s, and it's not acceptable. Incredibly fussy to attach, and the zip ties have be threaded in from the middle of the wheel or the zip tie heads rub on the frame. I'm using very small zip ties - the heads are 3.8 mm thick. I can't imagine having to do this every time I need to remove the rotor.

Please don't treat this adapter as your final solution for Magura brakes!

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
What version should I buy for a kenevo 2020 with a DT swiss 350 hybrid on the rear and MDR-P 220 rotors ?

Hi @Spagnol, the LSS on the Kenevo is a bit experimental, but you can measure the rear axle diameter to see if one of the LSS versions would fit. I have an FAQ with more info (and some pics) on how the axles look:

From the FAQ:
Will the LSS work if I change my rear hub?

It depends on the exterior axle diameter. The regular LSS is designed to fit around a 22mm axle diameter. The LSS DT is meant to fit around a 19mm diameter axle, but can get away with a 18-19mm. If your new hub has one of these diameters it may be compatible.

But note since you are using an aftermarket rotor, you'd have to use the universal rotor adapter, which I'm just learning (from Reborn Rider) is a bit of a pain to install.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I bought your universal rotor adapter for my Magura 220s, and it's not acceptable. Incredibly fussy to attach, and the zip ties have be threaded in from the middle of the wheel or the zip tie heads rub on the frame. I'm using very small zip ties - the heads are 3.8 mm thick. I can't imagine having to do this every time I need to remove the rotor.

Please don't treat this adapter as your final solution for Magura brakes!

Really good feedback @RebornRider. You are only the second person I've heard from that's used it (the first was the person I worked with to develop it in the first place), so its very helpful to hear that it is a pain. There is just so little clearance between the rotor and frame its hard to come up with a good solution besides trying to design a new clip for every single rotor out there (there are so many). I've been busy with my regular job lately and haven't had much time to work on the LSS.

I'll do some thinking and see if I can come up with a solution for a universal mount that doesn't rely on zip-ties. Now that I'm thinking about it I wonder if I could do a 3-part piece with 2 c-shaped backing plates that sit behind the rotor and clip to the front piece. If I design something new I will PM you and ship you a copy if you are interested in trying it.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I'll do some thinking and see if I can come up with a solution for a universal mount that doesn't rely on zip-ties. Now that I'm thinking about it I wonder if I could do a 3-part piece with 2 c-shaped backing plates that sit behind the rotor and clip to the front piece. If I design something new I will PM you and ship you a copy if you are interested in trying it.
Absolutely interested! The bike is less fun without the LSS.

Dr_BoB_rD

Sep 22, 2020
Germany
Dear all.
I bought a 2021 Turbo Levo Base and I’d like to know if there is already a LSS version available for that type / model of bike.
Is there also a LSS version available for the 2021 Comp version?
Thanks and regards

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Dear all.
I bought a 2021 Turbo Levo Base and I’d like to know if there is already a LSS version available for that type / model of bike.
Is there also a LSS version available for the 2021 Comp version?
Thanks and regards

Hi @Dr_BoB_rD, I'm still trying to make sense of all the new 2021 Levo models. It seems some of them now come with Shimano centerlock hubs/brakes (i.e., the Levo comp is listed as having centerlock hubs) which wouldn't be compatible with the LSS. However, on some of the other models they still like SRAM components like the 2020 models.

Which version of the 2021 Levo do you have and can you confirm the hubs and rear rotor you have? That could help me to determine if one of the LSS versions would fit.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Love it on my Turbo Levo. Do you have a model for my new 2021 Trek Rail 9.8?

Hi @G P Smith, glad you are enjoying the LSS on your Levo! I don't currently have any versions of the LSS for any Trek bikes unfortunately. But its good to hear feedback on which bikes you all would like to see supported, so I'll keep the 2021 Trek Rail in mind for the future.

VeloMikey

Apr 21, 2019
So Cal
My Sun gear has worn out after 3500 miles! I have been using the Aluminum Planetary gear. It has gotten extremely noisy and the power cuts out. The bike is back to normal with it removed. Can I purchase a new Sun Gear V2.0? Thanks!
IMG_2206.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles