I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Being able to make an electronic adjustment is so much easier. And can plug in between the sensor and harness so easy to fit remove (inside the motor outer casing on a Levo).
This is a simple inductive sensor on most emtb, and a simple firmware program divides the incoming sensor frequency by 2, once above a certain threshold.. its arguably far easier than a mechanical solution.

I agree, that would be awesome. However, I think the cost to design/produce it would be very high. Even if off the shelf electronics could be used (I'm guessing a custom PCB would be needed) you'd still have to deal with the coding as well as all assembling, i.e., the soldering of the wires / molex connectors which would be a pain. Maybe someone with the right skill set could do it, but its definitely not me.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
i read somewhere that you remove the magnet from the wheel and attach to the crank , mount the sensor on the frame to pick up the crank magnet and it will do the same thing ur doing

Yes, that is a free alternative, but with the internally routed cabling it makes this method not easily reversible for when you need to take it into the shop. Plus, if Specialized wanted to they could probably update the firmware to detect this method (i.e., the signal frequency coming from a crank are very different than a wheel, it wouldn't take much to detect that the bike suddenly 'accelerated' from 0-10mph in one revolution which is what it would look like if you went from not pedaling to pedaling).

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
In practice this works exactly the same as many devices out there, in that if you have a display it will show you going double the speed, and presumably record double the ride length.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Part V

Over the holidays I made a few tweaks (mostly just tolerances) and adjusted the size of the dust cover, since I think that was bothering a lot of people :) So far it has been performing great. Within the next few days I'm going to put this on Shapeways so the adventurous on here can get one for themselves to try out. Note it will be extremely 'beta' and I'm going to recommend most people don't buy it unless they aren't afraid to sand parts, shim parts, adjust things, etc. I'm going to price it very low to start (basically little or no profit for me) since there are no guarantees of it working.

Here is the latest version on my bike:

20190107_145923.jpg
20190107_145912.jpg

ItalianJob

Aug 29, 2018
Venice
Part V

Over the holidays I made a few tweaks (mostly just tolerances) and adjusted the size of the dust cover, since I think that was bothering a lot of people :) So far it has been performing great. Within the next few days I'm going to put this on Shapeways so the adventurous on here can get one for themselves to try out. Note it will be extremely 'beta' and I'm going to recommend most people don't buy it unless they aren't afraid to sand parts, shim parts, adjust things, etc. I'm going to price it very low to start (basically little or no profit for me) since there are no guarantees of it working.

Here is the latest version on my bike:

View attachment 9490 View attachment 9491
very interesting! what speed reaches the thrust of the engine? when do you think it will be for sale?

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
very interesting! what speed reaches the thrust of the engine? when do you think it will be for sale?

Speed increase will be around 50%:
For 20 mph bikes this will go to -> ~30 mph
For 25 kph bikes this would go to -> ~37.5 kph

Beta units hopefully for sale in a few days via a 3d printing service. More details to follow

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

Beta units hopefully for sale in a few days via a 3d printing service. More details to follow
Great job and well done in creating a possible alternative to the software hack.
I am very keen to be a Beta tester and try one. My terrain is very wet and muddy for the next 3-4 months so I should be able to give you some very good feedback on how it performs in these conditions.
Can you post the link to Shapeways on here when it is ready please?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M

The device became very nice!

When ordering via Shapeways would that include the magnet? Or do we need to buy only the plastic plastic part via Shapeways and the magnet via a 2nd source?

Shimanomike

Jan 6, 2019
Paris, Tn
I love coming up with things such as you but unfortunately mine involves duct tape too often!! Following this one and interested in one as well!

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Being able to make an electronic adjustment is so much easier. And can plug in between the sensor and harness so easy to fit remove (inside the motor outer casing on a Levo).
This is a simple inductive sensor on most emtb, and a simple firmware program divides the incoming sensor frequency by 2, once above a certain threshold.. its arguably far easier than a mechanical solution.

Or just have a maximum frequency that it reports. Problem is only who will develop and produce it :). Anyone?

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Part VI

Beta version now available! I did some additional modifications to make it work properly with Shapeway's SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) 3d printing technology, but it still is untested so I only recommend people buy this if they meet the following criteria:

1) Must have a 2019 Levo / Levo Comp / Levo Comp Carbon with aluminum rear triangle. I'm not sure if the clearances are different on the carbon frame. The Levo Expert and S-Works models have different rear hubs with different hub diameters and I'm still trying to get measurements on that. If anyone has an Expert or S-Works and a pair of calipers please PM me if you are able to measure your hub diameter.
2) Must have stock brake rotor (see pictures in this thread for the rotor mine came with) and stock rear wheel. I'm not sure if there are different wheels on the different model Levos? Mine are 622x30 Roval Transverse with 148 boost hub on the rear.
3) You will need to remove the existing magnet on the rotor and you will need 2 normal brake bolts to replace the tapered ones that hold the existing magnet on. Please use loctite :)
4) The idea of some sanding w/ a file or sandpaper doesn't scare you.
5) You are ok with throwing away ~$50+ if things don't work properly.
6) You will need to source a neodymium magnet (10mm x 3mm) and glue it into the planetary gear. I got a set of 30 on Amazon for $9.00 (search for JACK CHLOE Round Refrigerator Magnets, 30Pcs Stainless Steel)
7) You realize waiting for other people to test it first would be the smarter move, since it is likely to have issues, but you are impatient or just really enjoy tinkering with your bike :)

Please keep in mind you are not buying a product. You are simply using a 3d printing service to print out the design and then assembling it and tweaking it on your own. Please do so at your own risk.

Hopefully I didn't scare everyone away by this point. If you are still reading this than here is the link to the Levo Speed Solution (LSS):

Special Planetary Gear Set by JD_3D on Shapeways

You'll notice I didn't put any mention as to what it's for on Shapeways as I don't want people buying it that haven't read this post. The beta pricing is $45 for white. For black, Shapeways is charging an additional $12.50 (as I think they dye it manually). So that is priced at $57.50. If you want to save money I've read that Nylon can be dyed easily at home using fabric dye (like Rit dye).

For the adventurous that do buy it, please report feedback (good or bad). I'm fine with any feedback being public. I can make simple tolerance changes to the design quickly to address any issues.

If this thing works and people are happy I'll eventually increase the price by around $30 so I can get a little profit for my time.

Last edited:

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Great work and well done!

I ride a 2018 (carbon) s-works and therefore, after reading the points above, wonder if this will fit (it sounds like I need to try it and see...) I'd be interested in any other '18 owners feedback if they do buy one...

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
if its made of nylon will that not absorb water and swell?

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
if its made of nylon will that not absorb water and swell?

Nylon gears are used extensively in industry and in consumer parts, so I think it should be fine. I did a quick google search on the volumetric expansion of nylon due to moisture exposure and found a value of 0.5-0.6% which I think should be ok.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I have a 2019 sworks carbon. Is there a way I can measure to see it it will fit for me? I want this LSS!

The best way I can think of to measure is to cut out a cylinder (maybe out of cardboard) that is 60mm in diameter and 8.5mm thick. That would represent the dimensions of the LSS. If you put a 22.3mm inner hole in it too then you can mount it on your wheel and then mount the wheel on the bike and make sure it's not touching anywhere.
If it does touch, I actually have a small taper on the LSS so it actually tapers down to 57.5mm diameter on the side that is against the frame so you can factor that in too.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Wonder how much it would cost to get one Laser Sintered in Titanium.

I would love to print in Titanium. Sadly over the past 5 years the cost hasn't gone down at all. It's still ridiculously expensive. Shapeways doesn't have Titanium but i.Materialise.com does, so just for kicks I uploaded the model to see how much it would be. Grand total? $747.34 :eek:

Titanium is so expensive that getting it printed in Silver is about the same cost ($800). Aluminum would run around $300 and steel about $200.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles