I bought a new scale today

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
About a year ago the olds bathroom scales finally gave up the ghost. One of the load sensor feet fell off. Terminal.
Today I bought a new Salter scale, load sensor feet, easy-wipe glass top. £12.99 - bargain!

I weighed my new bike by first putting the front end on, then the rear and adding the two together. Hmm, 22.8kg - a bit lighter than I thought.

Then I weighed me. I used to weigh myself every morning after ablutions (every little helps). Whatever weight was displayed decided my eating plan for the day. This has helped me to stay around the same weight year after year. But I'd been without a scale for almost a year; my bike had been a bit lighter, would I be? :unsure:

Alas not. :(
I have put on a stone, 14 lbs, 6.35kg!!!! Ye Gods! I should, have paid more attention to those extra few notches on my trouser belt! :rolleyes:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
About a year ago the olds bathroom scales finally gave up the ghost. One of the load sensor feet fell off. Terminal.
Today I bought a new Salter scale, load sensor feet, easy-wipe glass top. £12.99 - bargain!

I weighed my new bike by first putting the front end on, then the rear and adding the two together. Hmm, 22.8kg - a bit lighter than I thought.

Then I weighed me. I used to weigh myself every morning after ablutions (every little helps). Whatever weight was displayed decided my eating plan for the day. This has helped me to stay around the same weight year after year. But I'd been without a scale for almost a year; my bike had been a bit lighter, would I be? :unsure:

I have put on a stone, 14 lbs, 6.35kg!!!! Ye Gods! I should, have paid more attention to those extra few notches on my trouser belt! :rolleyes:
Relax Steve, weight is not the best guide. Muscle weighs more than fat and water content varies considerably day to day. Best guide is size, especially the waist................ah hang on, you did say that had increased!!!!!!!!
ps .......dont think your bike weighing exercise is accurate. Assuming you have the stregth which I am sure you do, weigh yourself first, then pick up your bike and step on the scales. Take your weight away from the weight of you plus bike.

tip no 2.
Only use the scales when the room they are kept in is pretty cool............you will weigh less!!

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales

if you're like me Steve.... it's the beer. Well, the sugar in the beer.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Steve. Am I wrong to think that you believe the front wheel/bike weight + rear wheel/bike weight = total bike weight?

Yes I do believe that. The bike is rigid enough for it to work. The scale itself is less than an inch high, so any angle effects are minimal.
If I had two scales, one under each wheel I would get the same answer. It is how they weigh trucks at public weighbridges if the weighbridge itself is not large enough to take the whole truck.

Because the scale only reports to the nearest 0.1kg, there is a chance that each reading could be out by as much as 0.05kg. If this happened at both ends then the resultant weight could be out by plus or minus 0.1kg. (Or the two could cancel each other out and the reading is spot on). :)

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
As long as the scale dosen't show "please dont stand 2 persons on this scale"...you're good :)

And now to the important stuff: what's your new bike ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
As long as the scale dosen't show "please dont stand 2 persons on this scale"...you're good :)

And now to the important stuff: what's your new bike ?
Merida E-One-Sixty 9000.
Collection Day.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ok beer it is!

.12% error for 5% slope.

A-hole of the day awardee
Let's assume 11kg per end and that I accept your hypothesis that the angle makes a difference.
0.12% of 11kg is 13.2grams. The scale moves in 100gm jumps. Like I said "any angle effects are minimal".

I accept that if the bike was at an angle, the scale at the lower end would record more as the bike's centre of gravity moved backwards, but the front would record less by the same amount. As long as the scales were horizontal and not at the same angle as the bike, there will be no loss of accuracy of the total weight.

As the angle increases, the weight on the front scale will continue to decrease and the weight on the rear will continue to increase. But the total will remain the same. When you reach 90 deg, all the weight is on the scale underneath the rear wheel and the front scale will register zero. At no time has the bike weighed more at any intervening angle.

You cannot weigh yourself one leg at a time because you are an insufficiently rigid structure.

No beer is required thanks. :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Then I weighed me.

I sounds to me like it's wildly inaccurate at lower weights and wildly inaccurate at higher weights ! :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully under displaying at the low and and over displaying at the high end .. but .. well .. maybe ........

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Nice one.....do you have enough rides on it, to make a comparison to the Focus Jam2 ?
Only first impressions so far:
The 22% extra torque is noticeable. The EP8 motor is very quiet. If I concentrate I can hear the tinkling from the roller bearing clutch when the chain is loose. It is so quiet that I just don't hear it above the usual trail noise unless the conditions are perfect. My mate riding behind me said it was the quietest motor he had ever heard.
The front end is way stiffer. The Fox recommended suspension settings are very good, but they are just a starting point and I can make them better. The bike just glides along and I feel more in control when crossing the techy stuff. I was failing to get up a steep incline when I would have expected to do so with all that torque and that 50t rear. That was my biggest disappointment. I suspect the suspension settings. We will see!
I made a guess at the assistance character, and assistance start settings (max torque of course) and this is an area for experimentation. I was getting a lot of wheelspin and was being taken by surprise by how fast the power delivery came in.
The Maxxis Assegai front tyre is grippy enough but not noticeably different to the WTB Vigilante I had on the Focus. The Maxxis Aggressor was a disappointment vs the Maxxis HRII on the Focus, but the trail was dusty dry (but then it is meant to be good in the dry). I will experiment with the Assistance settings before condemning the tyre.
The range forecast was much better than I expected. 44miles in Eco with the e8000 and its 378Whr battery. 110miles in Eco with the ep8 when I would have expected only 73 miles with a 630whr battery. And I'm not even sure the battery was fully charged!
The bike was a good fit for me. I had relied on an analysis of the geometry and a few measurements from @flash . My biggest concern was that the 170mm travel dropper when fully extended, but fully inserted into the seat tube would be too high from me. It wasn't, it is spot on.
So far I have only used the 50t ring once and it was a waste of time. I used to have 12-speed on my last two mtbs and they were a godsend, given my dodgy knees. So far, I remain unconvinced of the benefits of a 12-speed transmission on an emtb.
I like the red/black colour scheme. The gloss red is great and I have already found a matching paint. But I don't like the matt black (or is it a dull satin black?).

Overall, its a "YES!" from me. :):)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Weigh yourself. Then pick the bike up and weigh you and the bike. Subtract one from the other and you have the bike weight.
He's just bought a new bike. He therefore does Man math !

He'll conclude that he's 10kg's lighter himself than he was yesterday and somehow that the bike only weighs 10kg's. (this might involve him weighing the bike with the wheels on the ground...)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I never bothered weighing with your man+bike method on my previous scales because they never gave the same reading two times in a row!

The new scale is now in the bathroom. So I'd have to go upstairs to fetch it down to weigh the bike and then go back upstairs to replace it. Too much effort now that I've already weighed it. :cry:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I never bothered weighing with your man+bike method on my previous scales because they never gave the same reading two times in a row!

The new scale is now in the bathroom. So I'd have to go upstairs to fetch it down to weigh the bike and then go back upstairs to replace it. Too much effort now that I've already weighed it. :cry:
Just take the bike upstairs and then ride back down ? I'm sure the OH would be whooping with encouragement ..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just take the bike upstairs and then ride back down ? I'm sure the OH would be whooping with encouragement ..
I'm sure she would (not!) :eek:

Currently I have two emtbs while I wait to sell the Focus. The insurance company will not allow me to have both bikes in the garage so one of them has to come into the house. Even though the Focus is now cleaner than it was when I bought it, it was a bit of a negotiation to get the bike into the house. Until very recently it was in the utility room with one of the bars nudging my laptop screen.
I wish my wife was into mtb rather than bowling. Maybe if I ride across the club green in Boost, she might change her mind (not!) :D

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm sure she would (not!) :eek:

Currently I have two emtbs while I wait to sell the Focus. The insurance company will not allow me to have both bikes in the garage so one of them has to come into the house. Even though the Focus is now cleaner than it was when I bought it, it was a bit of a negotiation to get the bike into the house. Until very recently it was in the utility room with one of the bars nudging my laptop screen.
I wish my wife was into mtb rather than bowling. Maybe if I ride across the club green in Boost, she might change her mind (not!) :D
Bowling often has a crown ? which is like a small hill ?? Sounds like she's yearning to join in but is just worried about making you look bad with her considerably higher natural tallent.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles