Have i bought the right bike?

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Hi all!

I've recently got into mountain biking. Bought a cheapish one about 3 months ago and have ridden almost everyday. About 2 months ago I upgraded to a £600 hardtail and about 1 month ago bought a full sus for the trails. I have now orderd a hardtail ebike to replace the hardtail. As you can imagine my partner is very unhappy haha. Anyway I've always wanted an ebike in the last 3 months but the price was always too much for me. But then I saw the vitus e sentier on sale for £1599. I can't find much info on it but from what j can see the spec looks ok. I'll be using this bike for commuting and local fields and woods. The full sus non e bike will still be kept for real trail and jump work. Anyone can tell me anything about this bike. They do a VR model that was on sale too but was £400 more and not sure if I should have gone for that or it's not going to make a difference to me for £400.

Here's a link to the bike

Vitus E-Sentier Hardtail E-Bike - Deore 1x10 2018 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Any knowledgeable info would be great, as not too sure what I've bought but it's nearly a £1000 off in sale and know vitus make good bikes.

Thanks

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
So no reason to be worried I didn't go for the VR model. It's got the e8000 steps motor which gets good reviews and then it's got a dropper post and 140mm forks. Won't be using it for much trail riding so hardtail should be fine. Also do you think the price is actually a bargain...

Cheers mate!

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Also I think he has the VR model which is an extra £400. But not sure if for a beginner and for commuting and local woods I would really need the VR spec.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
A mate of mine bought the more expensive version of the Vitus hardtail. Seems really good. Only had it a few weeks and upgraded some bits already like the wheel set and fork but the bike seems really solid in build as it is and your frame will obviously be identical. No bash guard under the motor is his only concern. Ive tried it on the hill outside my house and it felt great. Felt very similar to my Whyte 909 but with a brilliant motor. I love hardtails.

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
I’ve ordered one of these for the mrs and at £1599 you can’t go wrong, the only thing i will be changing are the forks prob stick some pikes in for her.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Not a fan of the recons? I have recons on my calibre bossnut evo at 130mm and quite like them. And I believe these are 140mm.

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
Not a fan of the recons? I have recons on my calibre bossnut evo at 130mm and quite like them. And I believe these are 140mm.
The thing is she’s been riding with 2019 fox 36s and the lastest lyrics on my bikes so i think she will be wanting something a tad plusher.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
I spoke to there online service as I orderd mine first thing yesterday morning and they basically said they would expect me to have it next week. Which I'm a little gutted by but the deal is too good to let go. Do you come on here much? Maybe we could keep eachother updated

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
I spoke to there online service as I orderd mine first thing yesterday morning and they basically said they would expect me to have it next week. Which I'm a little gutted by but the deal is too good to let go. Do you come on here much? Maybe we could keep eachother updated
Tbh this is my first time on here, but yes let me know if you here any thing and i’ll do the same, i’ve ordered the medium.
Also i have the canyon on spectral ?if this is your first e-bike you will love it... the shimano motor’s are fantastic.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Yes first e bike for me. I have a the calibre for my jump stuff at the trail centres. But really wanted an e bike to get to and from work and for a bit of off road adventures. Go places I would never try to on my acoustic. Really can't wait hence the being a bit gutted about the delivery time. Ha

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Did you not get tempted with the VR model. I know it is £400 more. I'm not clued up enough to know if it's worth it or not

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As Rob says I have the VR - it’s a great bike, and very capable. It’s as hardcore as you want it to be, I.e if all you want to do is pootle about on fire roads and bridleways it’s happy doing that, but if you want to thrash it down Singletrack and throw it about it’s more than capable, and a lot of fun to do so on.

I got mine primarily as a bad weather bike, but have found it so much fun on my local Singletrack that I am riding it a lot more than I though I would. I have upgraded the cockpit and contact points, but don’t see any need to upgrade much else, which doesn’t mean I won’t, but the Revelation forks I am happy with, can’t see point in swapping out for pikes as I really don’t see that great a difference on a hard tail for the price, though would consider putting a burlier fork on like a 36 or maybe a Bomber In the future.

I have also swapped the 200mm brake disc on the rear for a 180mm - I was having problems with excessive noise and vibration from it, and IMO the problem was that the brake was too powerful for the frame, and the caliper flexed a fair bit given the post mount and how far off the frame it sits with a 200mm disc. Going down to 180mm has sorted this. Basically the frame is very stiff, and as it’s a hard tail there is no give in the rear end, so I felt like some of the force of the bigger brake was being disapated into the frame, especially when the brakes got hot.

Last edited:

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Cheers for the info on your bike. How much does it weigh and what's the distance like on it? There really isn't much if any info out there on the net about these e sentier bikes

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don’t know what it weighs but it feels a lot lighter than my Sommett, but I in reality I think it’s only a bit lighter (Sommett 22kg) and it just feels lighter due to Geo and being a hard tail.

Range is good, but that all depends on how you ride the bike, if you are a big boi and ride it in turbo the whole time you won’t go too far! Same as any other Ebike really with a 504 battery.

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
Cheers for the info on your bike. How much does it weigh and what's the distance like on it? There really isn't much if any info out there on the net about these e sentier bikes
My spectral weighs about 22kgs i did 3hr15mins up and over mam tou, jacobs ladder, etc over 3200 ft of climbing and only used 3 of the fove bars of the battery and i weigh 92kgs

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Nice guys! I weigh 77kg so hopefully shouldn't drain it too quick then. Just can't wait to go out and not think 'oh god that hills coming up'

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My experience is a 5 working ay turn around with CRC from order to delivery, though it can take longer when they have their sales on as they get backlogged with bike builds due to increased demand.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes, their e-bike come in a massive box with both wheels on, all you have to do is put the bars on, and pedals. Takes longer to take all the protection/packaging off that put the bike together.

Both mine came well PDQ'd from CRC, but i would still go over the bike checking everything tight. I would also spend time familiarising yourself with the controls of the motor, and read the Shimano manual.

We all want to get out and test ride a new bike, but worth not rushing it to avoid making a costly mistake, so make sure all the protection is removed and nothing fouling drivetrain, that you get everything adjusted and set up how you like it, make sure the wheel axles and headset are tight, and then when you do ride it spend some time bedding in the brakes before hammering the bike too hard.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles