How quickly things can change

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
A lot of you will know the feeling......
I’ve been riding nearly every day for the last few weeks. Recently, I have ridden more miles in a day than ever before and also more miles in a week than ever before. The local bridleways, farm tracks, and bits of single track in the woods have turned from gloop to concrete almost overnight. Some areas have turned into mini rock gardens with deep ruts. It’s not the Alps, but there is still satisfaction in riding something , however modest, quicker/ smoother than you have before. I have been happily crashing round these trails, on a hardtail, several times a week. The sun shone, I lost a small amount of weight, and I gained that feeling of well- being and vitality that regular exercise gives you......
Yesterday, I casually bent down to pick something up from the kitchen floor and something ‘went’ in my back. Now, I can’t put my own socks on and getting upstairs is a major ordeal. Could be days, could be weeks. Pissed off, seriously pissed off. Mind how you go.....

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Happend to me last year,lower back went,I couldn't move for hours,getting out of bed took literally an hour..luckily for me it only lasted a few weeks

benice

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
To avoid it, iam doing a lot of crunches, pushups, planks and something like that. Everything what increse my body tension.
And use a fully

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i was going down the staircase the other day not a care in the world next thing i know i went flying and landed with a thud and a sprained toe. Be careful out there

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
On the bright side, it's pissing down and likely to be doing so for a couple of weeks.

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
A lot of you will know the feeling......
I’ve been riding nearly every day for the last few weeks. Recently, I have ridden more miles in a day than ever before and also more miles in a week than ever before. The local bridleways, farm tracks, and bits of single track in the woods have turned from gloop to concrete almost overnight. Some areas have turned into mini rock gardens with deep ruts. It’s not the Alps, but there is still satisfaction in riding something , however modest, quicker/ smoother than you have before. I have been happily crashing round these trails, on a hardtail, several times a week. The sun shone, I lost a small amount of weight, and I gained that feeling of well- being and vitality that regular exercise gives you......
Yesterday, I casually bent down to pick something up from the kitchen floor and something ‘went’ in my back. Now, I can’t put my own socks on and getting upstairs is a major ordeal. Could be days, could be weeks. Pissed off, seriously pissed off. Mind how you go.....
I feel your pain I suffer with a dodgy back and the socks thing is so frustrating. I kinda had a watch this moment out on the bike last week, decided to jump over a fallen tree, landed awkwardly and twisted my knee. Been hobbling around for a week, not been out on the bike and can only take so much sky news and Coronavirus debates. ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@billwarwick Deep, deep commiserations. :eek:
I too have had intermittent problems ever since 1996. I also seldom get any warning, usually I feel on top form, which is probably when I get cocky and overdo it.
One of the activities I have taken up that has helped enormously is Pilates. I have been doing it now for 11 years and it is the one class per week that I will not miss. Now we are on lockdown and my instructor is pregnant, no more classes. Instead I do a range of essential exercises at home, every morning without fail. I used to fail, but pain is a good teacher, especially to lazy bastards like me! :giggle:

There are different forms of Pilates and I do the one called "Body Control". It focuses on core strength, balance and then flexibility.

For an activity that does not make me sweat it can be surprisingly hard to do. I'm looking forward to getting back to regular classes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
One of the activities I have taken up that has helped enormously is Pilates
Recently, as men have become interested in this, more of them perform the alternative "Pirate'-s" It's the same, except you dress as a pirate, use an old barrel instead of a ball and use hooked hand extensions to help with stretching. You can also introduce ropes and rigging into your exercise area to spice things up a bit more.

Now we are on lockdown and my instructor is pregnant
Take note of Steve's experience, keep a safe distance from your instructor !

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Commiserations. Been there more times than I care to remember after 2 really bad falls (or good falls, as I walked away from both, I suppose). Game changers for me were finding a Chiropractor, and encountering Tai Ji (or Chi) some 20 years ago and practicing every day. A Chiropractor is a bit impossible at the moment but worth it even after you get better for a bit of preventative maintenance. Tai Ji classes are a bit hard at the moment and it can be hard to learn from videos but Tai Ji Qi Gong is simpler than "proper" Tai Ji and affords many of its benefits (similar benefits to Pilates). Here's a couple of sources:

shibashi, 十八式

And Tai Ji sword is great for social distancing (honest officer).

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
One of the features of Pilates is that most of the attendees are women and sometimes it's difficult to know where to look. To avoid being accused of being a dirty old man I find it safer to just shut my eyes. Except when looking at our gorgeous instructor of course, we all have permission to do that! :giggle:

Another of the features (similar to Yoga in this aspect) is that some of the exercises make it difficult to hold in a fart! I can constrain myself until my face goes purple, but eventually I have to let one go. The problem is that the longer you hold them, the louder and higher pitched they become! So it is easier for the other class members to know who dropped one. :whistle:

I really don't know why I bother to hold them in because even when I manage to let out a silent one, they always know it's me! :eek: Just trying to be polite!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The problem is that the longer you hold them, the louder and higher pitched they become! So it is easier for the other class members to know who dropped one.
You really need to add some tassels that hang over your buttocks.

Then when you let rip, you can impress the ladies with your fluttering plumage !

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
Recently, as men have become interested in this, more of them perform the alternative "Pirate'-s" It's the same, except you dress as a pirate, use an old barrel instead of a ball and use hooked hand extensions to help with stretching. You can also introduce ropes and rigging into your exercise area to spice things up a bit more.

View attachment 30064
View attachment 30065
i could manage the pirate thing. Plenty of rum ?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
One of the features of Pilates is that most of the attendees are women and sometimes it's difficult to know where to look. To avoid being accused of being a dirty old man I find it safer to just shut my eyes. Except when looking at our gorgeous instructor of course, we all have permission to do that! :giggle:

Another of the features (similar to Yoga in this aspect) is that some of the exercises make it difficult to hold in a fart! I can constrain myself until my face goes purple, but eventually I have to let one go. The problem is that the longer you hold them, the louder and higher pitched they become! So it is easier for the other class members to know who dropped one. :whistle:

I really don't know why I bother to hold them in because even when I manage to let out a silent one, they always know it's me! :eek: Just trying to be polite!

I've always reckoned that it's a good job farts aren't coloured purple... (Just think about that next time you see someone rapidly openining their car window "for no reason"...

yoga breath.jpg

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset

View attachment 30064
View attachment 30065
thanks @Zimmerframe is that the one where you keep hydrated with Dark Rum?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles