How hard can it be ?

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
I have been quite fascinated with the idea of lacing a set of wheels. Is it really difficult to do a first class job ? I suppose from a financial standpoint it would be cheaper to just buy a ready made set then investing in all the tools that would hardly be used again. Is there any wheel builder’s out there that can share advice? Thanks a heap !

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
There are plenty of books & youtube guides out there. I've done a few moto-trial bike wheels & found it fairly easy, but time consuming of course. Never laced a cycle wheel though. Tools - All you need is a spindle or put wheel in bike forks etc, a couple of taped on pointers + some patience & follow the procedure. Maybe get an old wheel to practice on?

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
There are plenty of books & youtube guides out there. I've done a few moto-trial bike wheels & found it fairly easy, but time consuming of course. Never laced a cycle wheel though. Tools - All you need is a spindle or put wheel in bike forks etc, a couple of taped on pointers + some patience & follow the procedure. Maybe get an old wheel to practice on?
Thanks for the advice, I’m aware of the videos etc but I was looking for those of you who have only done a couple or so. My concern is spoke tension during build and months later , it seems to be an art. 😎

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I've got an old wheel which needs some spokes replacing after some snapped. Insurance bought me a new wheel (there are a few buckles in the rim too) and have been meaning to give it a go. Like so many projects, as I don't NEED to do it NOW, it gets put off.

Must get round to it one rainy day.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Thanks for the advice, I’m aware of the videos etc but I was looking for those of you who have only done a couple or so. My concern is spoke tension during build and months later , it seems to be an art. 😎
It's dead easy, you just need to be patient, don't do too much in one go, and keep de-stressing the wheel.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Lacing is the bit that takes practice and doesn't need any special tools. truing is easily done in the frame with some cable ties to get the dishing right. You can get a cheap(ish) wheel repair stand but if its for only one wheel I wouldn't bother, get a decent nipple spanner and you're good to go.
My wheel building page in my signiture.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles