How much power do I need?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
This may help with understanding. Should link to post #75, but there's more in #78 if you scroll down and so on like #86

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I've been riding a E8000 based emtb for the last few years and am thinking of getting a new bike. Ideally I'd like one of the new lighter bikes, but don't really want to have less power than I have at the moment (probably a common request!)
I've gone from gen 4 Bosch 85nm to an orbea rise m10 with 60nm and 360wh battery. Honestly i thought it might fail to achieve my 24-mile route with a few decent hills to navigate but I still tuck the plunge without a test ride and purchased the bike.

It didn't disappoint, lifting the bike over obstacles is not to be dismissed lightly. You can lift these without major back injuries. 50 miles is more than achievable for me on one charge (several rides) and as far as the rs motor goes at 60nm providing you're in the correct gear it climbs beyond my expectations but just slower than a full fat.

Last edited:

GoJoe

Jul 20, 2022
Connecticut
I think it depends on how you ride, and who you're riding with. I've been riding a YT decoy with the Shimano e8000 motor for 2 years but riding with folks just pedaling analog bikes and never felt the need to use all my power much less need more power, then recently I met a few guys who were strictly e-mountain bikers and X dirt bikers and had a whole different view of the mountain bike experience which meant pegged to boost and going as fast as u could until the battery was dead. This is an absolute blast but it was the first time I felt that I was riding a 70 Newton meter motored bike instead of an 85 Newton meter bike. On the climbs I could see my friend walking away from me still seated while I was stand-up Pedaling. Now to the percent assist thing. I went into my bike after that first ride and jacked up all my assists not knowing exactly what it would do. What I found that increasing the percent assist made softer pedaling less strenuous but didn't offer any greater overall power when pedaling hard and did drain the battery more quickly. I also have a regular bike and like to just pedal so I don't mind putting the extra energy in to keep up with my fast friends on their 85 Newton meter bikes, but my next bike will certainly be at least 85 newton meters, No Doubt. I have only heard complaints from folks that have the low powered bikes that are trying to keep up with fast analog guys or larger e-bikes and the fun Factor is definitely smaller with the smaller Motors.

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
I've gone from gen 4 Bosch 85nm to an orbea rise m10 with 60nm and 360wh battery. Honestly i thought it might fail to achieve my 24-mile route with a few decent hills to navigate but I still tuck the plunge without a test ride and purchased the bike.

It didn't disappoint, lifting the bike over obstacles is not to be dismissed lightly. You can lift these without major back injuries. 50 miles is more than achievable for me on one charge (several rides) and as far as the rs motor goes at 60nm providing you're in the correct gear it climbs beyond my expectations but just slower than a full fat.
Exactly. Rise: You have to manage the gears like you used to on an acoustic bike so gives you a different riding experience Than powering up on a full power bike.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent

Hi, interested in this, how much vertical do you do on your 24 mile and 50 mile rides ?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Yes, I agree.

But putting aside test rides, I'd still like to understand what that graph is trying to tell me. I could read it as I'm only using 2/3 of the assistance available to me (200% rather than 300%), but without knowing what Assist Ration actually means in the real world, I'm not sure what to make of it.
My understanding is 100% means my efforts are doubled, the system
adds 100% of my efforts.
200% = tripled
300% = quadrupled.
So the more efforts i put out = the more i drain the battery but
i can select lower assist level so i can manage my range.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles