How many tire fills for 16g CO2?

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
bit of a co2 newb, so how many inflations for say, a 2.6 tire?
29" or 27" ?

But for a rough guide i find a 16-gram cartridge is enough to fill an average 29" tyre.
Say a 29x2.3", and from empty it gets to about 35 psi

Obviously theres variations but it might give you some idea.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Be aware that some tubeless sealants apparently don’t play nicely with CO2. I carry co2 mostly in case I need to pop a tyre back onto the bead

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
It's usually the opposite with today's larger tires - how many 16g cartridges to fill a tire! Generally no more than 1 out of a 16g though.

Given the weight of the cartridges and their bulk, if you're carrying two CO2 cartridges and a valve, you might as well just carry a Lezyne mini pump. That's what I do now. Nothing sucks more than to have used up your CO2 cartridges and realize then that there's a big hole in the tire that needs to be plugged or you'll now need a tube. A Lezyne pocket drive pump doesn't have that issue, takes up about the same space, and is actually lighter.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I use the 25g canisters, one will fill my 29x2.6 tyre to 27psi ish. The 16g will fill it to 19psi so I’ll need two 16g. I prefer the c02 as I can’t stand trying to pump up a tyre for 20 mins. I’m inherently lazy.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Apparently pure CO2 leaks through the tyre walls more than the usual air mix of mostly nitrogen and oxygen, so you'd need to fill up with a pump soon afterwards anyway.

The different diffusion rates are a bit strange as the CO2 molecule is larger than O2 and N2 molecules. There are various discussions as to why this is the case, for example here

My understanding is that CO2 canisters are only much use in a race situation where every second counts.

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
Do tire inserts (specifically cushcore) reduce tire volume? I assume they are closed cell foam.
Does that change the equation significantly?
As a tire pumping hater, I think thats the solution for me to get home, cushcores. I installed a oneup edc stem kit, as I am trying to obviate having to carry any tools. I am mostly not that far from home, quite a few trails on my doorstep.
PS yeah, I know about the leaking CO2 thing.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I'm good at catching vibes, reading between the lines, interpreting what people are thinking and feeling and I've come to the conclusion that you don't like pumping up tyres.

Am I close?

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
You are perceptive!
I hate pumping, I hate pumps, i hate tubes, I hate the stupid little valves, and I am sure I will come to hate sealant.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles