How do you lube chain on ebike?

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Just put it in a bike stand and pedal forwards. simples.
I put my bike in a stand to clean it, rear wheel off the ground. Don’t really understand why people don’t thing of just pedalling forwards rather than backwards ?
Because then you don't need the bike stand.

I use the allen in the chainring method. I wipe the chain with a rag after cleaning. It takes all of 30 seconds.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Wash the bike in the stand, oil the chain, put bike away.
I never oil the chain unless I’ve cleaned the bike.
my SOP :)

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
I see more and more of this 'a drop of oil onto each link' malarkey, you're oiling a bike chain, not painting the Mona Lisa!

Allen key into chainring bolt, wrapped in insulation tape to avoid scuffs, and a liberal application onto a clean chain of whatever you fancy, dry or wet lube.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
A bike stand is the only way to look after a bike properly .
Really
i only use my bike stand if im pulling forks off generally
Everything else is done without a stand
Maybe thou i dont look after my bikes as well as you do because i dont use my bike stand much :rolleyes: .

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Remove chain, chuck into melted putoline.
Swish it around a bit.
Remove, wipe, leave to dry.
Fit chain.
Ride bike.
Repeat every now and then.

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
good replies 🤙
Inserting a Allan key in the chainring bolt allows me to use pedals and move the chainring backwards?
I feel I need some sort of compressor esp after a wash it’s always good to dry the bike down esp in winter.

Exatly the same as this, works a treat and Muc Off has even got a special tool for it but the allen key works just fine

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Where's Fat Rat gone, he must of deleted me because i cant see his posts. Thank Fu£k (y)

Unless his knees have given in.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Where's Fat Rat gone, he must of deleted me because i cant see his posts. Thank Fu£k (y)

Unless his knees have given in.
Ah Sorry

I was just cleaning the trash out i didnt realise you wouldnt see my posts

There you go all fixed LOL LOL ..................................

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
:) by the way don't send me any more Pm mails. There is a special site for lonely people you can write to, crack on and get me on your block list again.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
:) by the way don't send me any more Pm mails. There is a special site for lonely people you can write to,
Thanks for the heads up Much appreciated :)
But i will leave you to that as you seem to know a lot more about it than i do or want to for that matter .

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
I try to use a minimum of effort:

Let the wifey hold your bike with the rear wheel high in the air
Then ask her to keep pressing the Walk button
Voila - just hold the oil can close to the chain for 60 secs 🧞‍♀️

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
It should be easy, but it's not. The wax based lubricants just make all the dirt stick to the chain and act like grinding paste. The oil based ones, wash off, quickly in the wet, but the waxed based ones don't. I tend to use wax or dry lubes in the summer and oil based when it's wet. Some people say not to lube at all, as a new chain has already got a good amount of hard wearing grease already. I used Smoove for a while in the winter, but realised it was sucking up dirt. Best practice would be to clean and lube every ride.

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Those of you that are using wax, does it hold up in the wet weather? I’ve been thinking about trying it out but I’ve been told it’s best left to the roadies.

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
Those of you that are using wax, does it hold up in the wet weather? I’ve been thinking about trying it out but I’ve been told it’s best left to the roadies.
Wax works great in the wet, but the payoff is it attracts dirt, sand etc. Wax based lubricants do last well but at a cost. I don't mean the financials, I mean the attraction to grit, sand, and fine particles. You will get loads of opinions about drive train lubrication, just to be sure, it's very important, especially as cassette's are expensive.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Wax works great in the wet, but the payoff is it attracts dirt, sand etc. Wax based lubricants do last well but at a cost. I don't mean the financials, I mean the attraction to grit, sand, and fine particles. You will get loads of opinions about drive train lubrication, just to be sure, it's very important, especially as cassette's are expensive.
Sounds like a pass from me then, I’ll stick to what I’ve been using. I don’t like to use wet lube for the same reason, always sounds like I’m grinding shit up after I use wet lubes.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
You could not be more wrong. Wax does NOT attract dirt. Wet lube of any kind does. Waxing your chain leaves the chain completely dry to the touch. Have you ever waxed a chain? As in put it in a pot of melted wax for 5 minutes or so, pull it out, let it dry and then put it back on the bike and ride it? I’ve been waxing my chains for several years and the whole drivetrain lasts much longer than any other wet lube.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Sounds like a pass from me then, I’ll stick to what I’ve been using. I don’t like to use wet lube for the same reason, always sounds like I’m grinding shit up after I use wet lubes.
Waxing your chain does not attract dirt. It’s actually the opposite. Your drivetrain will remain clean and last much much longer. Look up videos on YouTube on chain waxing and you’ll see it’s a pretty easy process. I’ve been waxing my chain for years and I’ve gotten at least triple the mileage out of my drivetrain. I have 2 chains that I wax and rotate every couple hundred miles.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I have a confession to make....

I've rust on my chain :eek:
I've been neglecting lubing it even after a rainy ride, and im shocked at myself because i used to be so diligent on keeping the bike spick and span, a wipe down after a wet ride, re lube the chain, spend ages and multiple cloths wiping it back to clean and lightly lubed- to get all the surface lube off the outside.
But i looked down the other day and there it was.

Of course its easy to blame the point the chain isnt easy as a non ebike to lube, but in this case its partly that and mostly laziness.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
If necessary clean bike using our Gioma bike stand and dry it. Put large tray under chain. By rotating cranks forward spray down on lower chain section by section using Muc-Off All Weather Chain Lube (making sure to avoid contaminating rear rotor!). Excess with any dirt drops off into the tray below. Sheet of cardboard behind chain prevents lube hitting wheel rim.

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
If necessary clean bike using our Gioma bike stand and dry it. Put large tray under chain. By rotating cranks forward spray down on lower chain section by section using Muc-Off All Weather Chain Lube (making sure to avoid contaminating rear rotor!). Excess with any dirt drops off into the tray below. Sheet of cardboard behind chain prevents lube hitting wheel rim.

I have this exact stand for my bike as well as a Feedback Pro Elite.
The Gioma is ideal for propping up the rear wheel for lubing. It’s also good for standing the bike in the middle of the room without the need to lean against a wall! I have a 3m x 1.5 roll of waterproof tarp that I put down to save my garage floor getting dirty.

I generally wash the bike with MucOff, a hose and a brush… bounce excess water off, dry as much as I can with a towel, and leave it to dry off for a few hours in the Gioma stand. Once dry, I lube the chain, put the bike back on my ceiling (Floaterhoist). Give my tarp a quick wipe down, and roll it up.

If I’m doing something a bit more ambitious, I’ll use the Feedback stand for work / maintenance.

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
I ordered some of this to try out. Looks pretty good compared to the muc-off stuff I’ve been using.
Rex representative told me that the difference between Black Diamond and the E-version of it is in amount of anti wear additives. E-version is not as watt optimized as regular Black Diamond (not far from it but when in seek of ultimate efficiency regular is better). There is no solvents in Rex chain lubes so do not over use it! Everything you add to chain will stay there! I was willing to go the extra mile and did the ultrasonic cleaning to chain prior to first application.

It's crazy how long Rex Domestique and Black Diamond lasts when it's dry weather. You can go hundreds of kilometers easy. I did 150 km continuous training with "cheapest" Domestique and no chain noise at all for that day!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles