How do I remove the pedal cranks from my EST-520?

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
I want to take the plastic shroud off from around the motor so I can have a look at why the motor is creaking. To do that, I need to remove the pedal cranks and the front sprocket. Are there any instructions or advice that anyone can give me? I have tools and I'm OK mechanically, but I don't even know which way to turn to try and undo the bolts/nuts etc.

cheers

Alan

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's a brose motor, so just the standard removal techniques. From what I remember, unlike pedals they're not directional threads (so make sure you put them back on the correct side or your pedals will then be incorrect. I think they were anti-clockwise to loosen. Sometimes they have self extracting bolts - which as you turn them, pull the cranks off the spindles. You won't really know until you try one though. I think they're 8mm hex.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think the cranks and chainring on that bike are Miranda. If the crank has a retaining ring with pin hole surrounding a 8mm hex it is probably self extracting. Just use the 8mm hex anti clockwise on both sides to remove the cranks. If by doing that you remove a bolt complete with the pin holes retaining ring then that is not a retaining ring but rather just a dust cap and your crank is not self extracting. You will then need a crank puller. The chainwheel spider retention is an ISIS standard retaining nut.

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
I got the cranks off. Anti clockwise does it and they just slide off with the threads. I got a cover off (not the sprocket side) and the creaking seems to be coming from the top of the motor. I loosened and tightened the screws but it made no difference. So, it's going into the shop.

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
It's coming from the motor. I'm not sure how that is related to the seat clamp/tube as it does it when it's on my bike stand (and therefore supported by the frame)

Alan

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles