Levo Gen 2 Horst link dramatic bearing failure

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
This bearing is one of the middle Horst link ones. I’ve never had a bearing fail like this, completely in pieces all the balls missing and the bolt chewing up the Horst link!! They were all changed about 3 months ago. Around the time a ttx coil was fitted. Tbh I only noticed because the rubber seal was being pushed out a bit.

Should I be worried? Something to do with the coil perhaps? It’s had a few heavy bottom outs. Perhaps I need a harder spring. Currently 607.

IMG_5391.jpeg IMG_5389.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Looks like a a new bearing kit is needed. Hopefully the threads are not stripped (finger bolt). Maybe the correct torque wasn’t applied when the Ohlins coil/shock was installed. 🤷‍♂️

Either way …hopefully it can be reassembled .

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
This bearing is one of the middle Horst link ones. I’ve never had a bearing fail like this, completely in pieces all the balls missing and the bolt chewing up the Horst link!! They were all changed about 3 months ago. Around the time a ttx coil was fitted. Tbh I only noticed because the rubber seal was being pushed out a bit.

Should I be worried? Something to do with the coil perhaps? It’s had a few heavy bottom outs. Perhaps I need a harder spring. Currently 607.

View attachment 123923 View attachment 123924
Bolt is wrecked. Side worn off it! I think it had become the bearing surface once the balls had disappeared! Luckily I have a bolt kit already. The bolts were torqued and also periodically checked for tightness.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
My Levo developed a creak (don't they all!) that I traced to the bearing behind the one you are pointing at. I bought a Spesh replacement bearing kit and did all of the rear suspension bearings at the same time. The creak turned out to be the cartridge bearing rotating in it's seat. After removal, it became obvious that the bearing was almost completely locked up. This may be what caused your bearing to self destruct.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
If you are hard bottoming then yes you need a firmer spring.

If that bearing only lasted 3 months something is wrong. Are they full complement bearings or aftermarket standard caged bearings?

If not full complement then you need to change the rest of the bearings out that you replaced 3 months ago with the right bearings

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Bearings in use :

Turbo Levo Pivot Bearing Kit | Blueseal MAX Full Complement™​

1 review
  • Complete Pivot Kit - Blueseal MAX Bearing™
  • Premium Bicycle Bearing - ABEC 3
  • Maximum Grease Fill
  • Close Contact LLU 2RS Seals

I have now replaced all 6 with the same brand as I had spares. 5 were a little gritty. Its not really been used in wet conditions either.

I'm going to have to start taking the horst link off monthly or something to inspect it.

Last edited:

Tim22

Jan 15, 2020
Boise, Id
Bearings in use :

Turbo Levo Pivot Bearing Kit | Blueseal MAX Full Complement™​

1 review
  • Complete Pivot Kit - Blueseal MAX Bearing™
  • Premium Bicycle Bearing - ABEC 3
  • Maximum Grease Fill
  • Close Contact LLU 2RS Seals

I have now replaced all 6 with the same brand as I had spares. 5 were a little gritty. Its not really been used in wet conditions either.

I'm going to have to start taking the horst link off monthly or something to inspect it.
Specialized Carbon/Alloy Bearing Kit for Stumpjumper, Levo, and Kenevo For those in the US.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Under five quid per bearing? I looked up Blueseal bearings, thinking that they would be made in that country that is known for making crap. Instead, I found no indication of where these bearings are manufactured. What I did discover was the company's primary claim to selling high-quality components is that their founder is the son of an engineer. Well, if the son of an engineer is selling junk, well, what's the world coming to?

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Under five quid per bearing? I looked up Blueseal bearings, thinking that they would be made in that country that is known for making crap. Instead, I found no indication of where these bearings are manufactured. What I did discover was the company's primary claim to selling high-quality components is that their founder is the son of an engineer. Well, if the son of an engineer is selling junk, well, what's the world coming to?
I'm not sure assuming they are selling junk is fair. 1 bearing failed... and I'm not entirely sure of the reason why.

which bearing manufacturer do you use?

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
It looks like it’s been over torqued due to the state of the rubber seal. Acknowledge that you said it was torqued. To what nm?

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand

View attachment 123923 View attachment 123924
Whats all that other wear from? Looks like the tyre has eaten through the front?

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
It looks like it’s been over torqued due to the state of the rubber seal. Acknowledge that you said it was torqued. To what nm?
20, as per the manual. The rubber seal is because the bearing lost its balls and the bolt started wearing through the horst link and wore the bolt down and shoved out the seal.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm not sure assuming they are selling junk is fair. 1 bearing failed... and I'm not entirely sure of the reason why.

You're right. I'm being unfair. You seem to have a lot of experience with bearings, considering the sheer number that you buy and the frequency with which you replace them. I don't replace nearly as many bearings on my bike, so you probably know a lot more. Why don't you just contact the guy and tell him to send you replacements?

I still find it sidesplittingly hilarious that the seller's claim to fame is that he rides bikes a lot and his dad is an engineer. That's the sort of rhetoric I'd expect to hear on the Elementary School playground.

If you dig deep into the guy's web page, you'll see where he thinks that Mobilegrease is a market leading designer. It's just grease. Grease doesn't design anything.

Some of the images on his web page are "borrowed" off the web. The picture that he uses for his ball bearings is also used in stores that are selling "slingshot ammunition." Bwahahahahaha! If your bearings explode in the wilderness, you can always use the balls in your slingshot to hunt game. Run Blueseal Bearings, never starve in the wilderness!

One more thing, AiiExpress sells Blueseal bearings for $1 each. Check 'em out. Maybe you can save a few bucks. This guy's dad might be an engineer, but he'd probably do a lot better if his mom was a marketing expert.

CruJones

Nov 24, 2021
USA
I'm of the opinion that with respect to bearings - you really do get what you pay for. Name brand bearings (e.g. NTN, SKF, FAG, etc.) are worth the premium vs obscure and/or no-name bearings in a lot of applications.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
You're right. I'm being unfair. You seem to have a lot of experience with bearings, considering the sheer number that you buy and the frequency with which you replace them. I don't replace nearly as many bearings on my bike, so you probably know a lot more. Why don't you just contact the guy and tell him to send you replacements?

I still find it sidesplittingly hilarious that the seller's claim to fame is that he rides bikes a lot and his dad is an engineer. That's the sort of rhetoric I'd expect to hear on the Elementary School playground.

If you dig deep into the guy's web page, you'll see where he thinks that Mobilegrease is a market leading designer. It's just grease. Grease doesn't design anything.

Some of the images on his web page are "borrowed" off the web. The picture that he uses for his ball bearings is also used in stores that are selling "slingshot ammunition." Bwahahahahaha! If your bearings explode in the wilderness, you can always use the balls in your slingshot to hunt game. Run Blueseal Bearings, never starve in the wilderness!

One more thing, AiiExpress sells Blueseal bearings for $1 each. Check 'em out. Maybe you can save a few bucks. This guy's dad might be an engineer, but he'd probably do a lot better if his mom was a marketing expert.

Thanks for the reply/flaming. Where do you buy your bearings from? have you got a link to the supplier please? I am not familiar with the brands so can't really tell the difference between a rubbish one/good one. Enduro max gets mentioned on here, are these the best ones to use? for example: 6801-LLU-MAX Abec 3 Enduro Bearing

I am now worried enough to want to swap out the whole kit again if I have been duped by some low quality supplier, and I don't have enough knowledge to tell the bearing suppliers apart!

Last edited:

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Specialized may not specify The Best bearings, but my experience with them has been pretty good. The kit for my gen 2 was part number S180600003. The next uncertainty is if the place you buy from is selling genuine Spesh parts, or counterfeit.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Thanks. They are cheaper than the blueseal ones so I'm not sure what to think about that...!

Mine just fill up with grit, sometimes seizing. The stock ones lasted a few months. I used Mbbearings for a few sets, now blueseal.

I haven't been happy with longevity on any of them - 3-6 months max.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles