Hope Pro 4 Microspline Question

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi,
trying to help a friend whose 12 speed Hope 4 pro microspline freehub collapsed.
The bike started making noises and an occasional slip could be felt at the cranks. A quick inspection of the drivetrain revealed the cassette had some side play. With the cassette ( SLX M7100) removed it was evident the sideplay was in the freehub. Pulling the freehub off resulted in the outer bearing inner race, ball bearings etc all just falling out on the floor, leaving just the outer ring in the freehub body.

So here is my question:
A Hope pro 4 HG freehub usually consists of 2 bearings separated by a spacer tube only whereas most Microspline freehubs ( e.g. DT Swiss) have 2 bearings separated by a spacer tube AND the inner bearing is secured with a circlip. I cannot find any information specifically on Hope Pro 4 freehub bearing replacement. Clearly to rebuild my friends freehub with new bearings it would help to know which of those 2 different set ups it is.
( I could determine for myself if I had the broken freehub in my hand but I am helping remotely so trying to a void confusion!!)

Thanks

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ah brilliant mate. Thanks.
Curiously it shows the circlip is behind the drive side bearing rather than behind the pawl side and the diagram suggests the circlip has no "eyes". I assume the circlip is therefore not designed to be removed and both bearings are removed/replaced from their respective ends of the freehub body.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hope did reply pretty quick with basic instructions how to rebuild their Microspline freehub..........albeit we had already worked it out and done it!
So for the benefit of anyone wanting to rebuild/renew the bearings on a Hope Pro 4 Microspline Freehub this is how it is done:-

This is the diagram of the freehub
MS_Assembly (hopetech.com)

First step is push the spacer that sits between the bearing to one side sufficient to get a nail punch onto the inner race of the drive side bearing .........move the spacer to the other side to tap the other side of the bearing inner race and continue moving around the inner race until the bearing is driven out of the freehub body on the drive side.
Next you need to remove the circlip. Unlike most circlip this one has no "eyes" so you have to use a sharp pick to get it out. One edge of the circlip is chamfered so best to start there.
The spacer will then fall out.
The pawl side bearing then has to be driven down through the freehub body and out the drive side. An 18mm socket helps here.

Fitting new bearings is a reversal of the above using a suitable set of presses or hammer and 18mm socket.
Note the pawl end seal can also be renewed.

Pawls and Springs can be replaced........they are available as sets.........NB the pawls are narrower than pawl used on Pro2/3 hubs so you need to get specific Hope Pro4 pawls.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles