Hope, any good or average and overhyped??

Colin1517

Mar 14, 2023
Lancashire
I was killing some time today and ended up looking at Hope gear for the emtb. I don’t have anything from Hope, and I actually don’t know or ride with anyone that has anything by Hope on their mtb.
So my question is….
Is Hope stuff as great as its marketing suggests, or is it fairly average but overhyped?
Don’t shoot me guys, genuine question from a Hope virgin

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Their bike frames looks great, their hubs seems decent.

I didn't like the set of tech3 e4 brakes I had, their new tech 4 brakes are supposed to be decent,but I'm hearing some tales of unreliability.

The rest of their stuff looks distinctly average to me.

Colin1517

Mar 14, 2023
Lancashire
I think you need to be a little more specific, do you hubs, or wheels or brakes? or just everything in general.

For the most part everything they make is pretty robust.
To be fair it was a general question, but to give some context….
stems look great, would I swap my Renthal Apex, not sure.
I’ve read numerous threads about Hope brakes squeaking.
Hope F20 & F22 pedals look superb, but reviews suggest they are not as grippy as others that cost significantly less. I’m currently running Sam Hill Nukeproof and they stick like sh1t.

I suppose you’re right in that it depends what you are in the market for, how blingy you want your ride, and how deep your pockets are. 🤔

I get personal preference, just wondered how others found the products

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Hope are a bit susceptible to theft IMO. I put a Hope bottom bracket in my old Stumpjumper and it was stolen from the garage within a couple of months. Coincidence?
"Susceptible to theft" 😳🙄 I better take of my hope parts when I'm out riding just in case someone spots the hope parts 🤣 I'll reinstall them when I'm storing the bike in my house so it looks awesome 🤟🤟

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have used Hope cranks and Hope Jockey wheels...both with good results. Based on experience of other bikes ( not mine) I dont rate their hubs.........much prefer DT Swiss. Not interested in fancy colours which is what seems to attract most buyers.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Hubs are good, rims not so much; heavy and cheesy. I have a set of hubs with Mavic 121 rims from about 1998 complete with Hope disc brakes.
Brakes are good if set up correctly.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Their hubs are great quality, the stems and all the machined aly bits are really nicely made, and the brakes are decent. They also have really good support, you can buy seals and pistons and all the other bits to completely rebuild their brakes, plus they’re made in Lancashire.

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
My two penn'orth, having Hope brakes, wheels, chainring etc. on my Focus.

Hope products are no worse than anything else out there, and in many cases much much better. For example, riding in the Quantocks last summer with a mate on his SRAM braked Whyte following him down a relatively long, steep descent and his brakes overheated and went AWOL half way down forcing him to stop. My Tec4 V4's? Untroubled in the slightest.

Being a larger feller I wanted the power and adjustability of the Hope brakes so that any fade etc. could be dialed out on the fly, so to speak.

The big plus for me is Hope products are a long term investment, not disposable mass produced "one use" only. All parts are available for products going back 20 years or more. If/when I get a new bike the Hope products will, if possible, be transferred over.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I use there Hubs mainly and have done for years and lately there rims
Rock solid all round
Rim wise i do use the reinforced Fortus 30 rims thou not the normal ones and they take a beating
Hubs are easy to get bits for if needed (rarely) and easy to strip and modify which is why i use them
I do use DT swiss rims and Hubs too and there no better or worse reliability wise
If you want something buy it if its in your budget (y)

clivem25

Mar 5, 2023
Perth Western Australia
I’ve read numerous threads about Hope brakes squeaking.
I run the Hope Tech 4 V4 brakes on both my bikes and they are better than the Code RSC's I had previously and cheaper as well. Super powerful yet super easy to modulate. No squeaking and easy to bleed. The only negative I've noticed is if you shuttle or transport the bike vertical (i.e. hanging from the front wheel) you may need to pump the levers before riding depending on how long/rough the trip was.

Feb 27, 2023
Teesside UK
Had Hope hubs back in the mid 90s with the Fatso hub. Developed a cracked flange and was quickly replaced under warranty. Then had Stans rims with Hope hubs ran great. Currently have stem, seat clamp, jockey wheels and brakes on my analogue Bronson along with brake callipers and jockey wheels on my roadie. Have their pedals, stem, kiox mount and jockey wheels on my Orbea Wild and looking at replacing the cranks for Hopes.

Always been great quality.

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
The big plus for me is Hope products are a long term investment, not disposable mass produced "one use" only. All parts are available for products going back 20 years or more.
And there lies Hopes big advantage, long term use. I've used Hope products for nigh on 30 years in one form or another ( how many have the original non hydraulic front disc setup in their loft ) still run 10 year + old hubs, just replaced the occassional bearings ( which are easily sourced ), still on 10 year old brakes ( why change them, they work well and I can easily get pads ) and considering the UK mudfest they spend 8 months of the years working in, really pretty bulletproof.

The only downside is the initial cost but then do as I do, just transfer the parts over to your next frame and sell the frame to upgrade to the latest trend.

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
I was killing some time today and ended up looking at Hope gear for the emtb. I don’t have anything from Hope, and I actually don’t know or ride with anyone that has anything by Hope on their mtb.
So my question is….
Is Hope stuff as great as its marketing suggests, or is it fairly average but overhyped?
Hope mate top quality products, they are masters at cnc machining and build there products to last.
I always use Hope and have never had any issues at all.

Stony

Feb 6, 2023
Staffordshire UK
So my question is….
I replaced my Specialized rear hub with a Hope, the free wheel ratchet was so LOUD, used to dread stopping pedalling! I have had other Hope stuff and it and their after sale service has been good, just beware of their rear hubs!

Straker

Jan 9, 2020
Wiltshire
Hub cracked , messaged hope they said send the wheel… one week later postman delivered a rebuilt rim on a newer hub series. No hassle, no quibbles, no ohh you bought it on a Tuesday afternoon warranty exclusions… or other nonsense that I’ve experienced from some premium component companies…..

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
So my question is….
Most of their stuff is rebuildable. I broke my hub last year about a year old my blame but the renewed it on warranty. Good stuff used the brakes gor 10 years or more. Like everything on Ebike they take a hammering whereas I found them maintenance free on ordinary mtb.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles