Hitch mount emtb rack

mtbninja

Jul 13, 2020
Canberra, Australia
Struggling to find the best option for in Australia, and also wanting it to be 2" hitch mount, not towball. I really liked the yakima one, but apparently it's not rated above 23kg per bike? Which is fine, once the battery is out for my current bike, but what if I got a heavier bike in the future... Or put a friends heavier bike on... I don't want to repurchase..

The Thule T2 Pro XT seems like it may be my only option? It's far from cheap though... The Kuat NV 2.0 may be possible, if they come back in stock. They are very similar in price.

Still have to wait until I get a new car that has the ability to put a towbar, so will see what things are like by then, but I've been trying to keep track on here and save information so I am prepared come the time, or if I happen to see a great sale or something selling second hand!

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Struggling to find the best option for in Australia, and also wanting it to be 2" hitch mount, not towball. I really liked the yakima one, but apparently it's not rated above 23kg per bike? Which is fine, once the battery is out for my current bike, but what if I got a heavier bike in the future... Or put a friends heavier bike on... I don't want to repurchase..

The Thule T2 Pro XT seems like it may be my only option? It's far from cheap though... The Kuat NV 2.0 may be possible, if they come back in stock. They are very similar in price.

Still have to wait until I get a new car that has the ability to put a towbar, so will see what things are like by then, but I've been trying to keep track on here and save information so I am prepared come the time, or if I happen to see a great sale or something selling second hand!

Yeah, I looked at all the options here and did get that Thule. I did get a online deal and saved a few hundred...

Carrying 2 ebikes and not wanting any frame scratches or to lose any, seemed the best option. Yes, expensive but I don’t regret it. Should always have reasonable resale down the track...

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
I just scored a +2 for my Hold up on Craigslist. I might use it once or twice a year but it is handy to have and won't lose value. While I doubt I will every use it as a 4...I am debating on just cutting the 4th off and making it a 3 bike.
816FA4FC-01ED-493D-B828-DAA1C9CC5AC5.jpeg

B6A2FAFB-25C0-4EB0-8F20-46F2C3BADA8B.jpeg

mtbninja

Jul 13, 2020
Canberra, Australia
A potential problem I'm trying to find the solution for. If I'm running a mudhugger front mud guard, will the mudguard get in the way of these wheel clamp style racks like the Holdup or Kuat NV2.0 or Thule T2 Pro XT? I'd prefer to avoid frame mount, and I want to make sure whatever rack I get is a sturdy hitch mount rack that can support the weight of my current emtb (23.9kg with battery, 21kg without), as well as a potentially heavier one in the future.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
A potential problem I'm trying to find the solution for. If I'm running a mudhugger front mud guard, will the mudguard get in the way of these wheel clamp style racks like the Holdup or Kuat NV2.0 or Thule T2 Pro XT? I'd prefer to avoid frame mount, and I want to make sure whatever rack I get is a sturdy hitch mount rack that can support the weight of my current emtb (23.9kg with battery, 21kg without), as well as a potentially heavier one in the future.

Yes, they do. Lots of people work around it by clamping on an angle in front of the mudguard/fender but both Thule and Kuat recommend against it.

When I was going to go with the NV2.0 (and had it pre-ordered) the rack shop suggested the Saris I posted above as a better alternative for a bike where you can't get the wheel to clamp directly at the fork crown. I've been using the Saris now for a while and have nothing but great things to say about it. It's designed to clamp the front wheel at a 45 degree angle which will clear any mudguard or fender. It also clamps both wheels and not your frame.

And, it was cheaper than both the Thule or the Kuat.

mtbninja

Jul 13, 2020
Canberra, Australia
... the Saris I posted above as a better alternative for a bike where you can't get the wheel to clamp directly at the fork crown. I've been using the Saris now for a while and have nothing but great things to say about it. It's designed to clamp the front wheel at a 45 degree angle which will clear any mudguard or fender. It also clamps both wheels and not your frame....
I'll search for an Australian dealer. thanks!

mtbninja

Jul 13, 2020
Canberra, Australia
... Saris I posted above as a better alternative for a bike where you can't get the wheel to clamp directly at the fork crown. I've been using the Saris now for a while and have nothing but great things to say about it. It's designed to clamp the front wheel at a 45 degree angle which will clear any mudguard or fender. It also clamps both wheels and not your frame...

I've noticed this doesn't have any lighting or numberplate mounting - What have you done regarding lighting and numberplate? Do you find lights are unobscured enough? How are you mounting a numberplate?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I just scored a +2 for my Hold up on Craigslist. I might use it once or twice a year but it is handy to have and won't lose value. While I doubt I will every use it as a 4...I am debating on just cutting the 4th off and making it a 3 bike.

If you do cut off the 4th one, I'd suggest fabricating a collar/sleeve that you could use to reattach it when needed. That's what I'd probably do. Obviously there are some safety concerns if it isn't done correctly.

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
If you do cut off the 4th one, I'd suggest fabricating a collar/sleeve that you could use to reattach it when needed. That's what I'd probably do. Obviously there are some safety concerns if it isn't done correctly.
I would just get a replacement, the part is only $66.00

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Sweet - will get the same rack (already have the same bike ;-). Any tips and tricks I should be aware of?

the only knock on the 1UP is that it doesn't easily accommodate a wide range varying wheel and tire sizes without having to change out some hardware. i run tires from 23c to 4.8" throughout the year, so it really wasn't convenient for me. i ended up with Kuat NV instead.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
I've noticed this doesn't have any lighting or numberplate mounting - What have you done regarding lighting and numberplate? Do you find lights are unobscured enough? How are you mounting a numberplate?

Sorry ... just saw this. No, don't do anything about a number plate. It does not obscure the plate without bikes and that's the only thing I have ever heard of being ticketed here. No one I know has ever had an issue with a bike obscuring the plate.

Lights on my wife's Q3 (which is what I use it on) are not obscured.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I have the saris and got pulled over with the bike on the rack. They were going to fine me for obscuring the number plate as it need to be seen from 45 degrees from all angles. They let me off as I'm listed in the police database for numerous reports I do through work.

I've now got an accessory plate and I've zip tied it to the main support bar. I didn't worry about lighting as I never take my bike anywhere in the dark.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I actually get compliments about the look of my Kuat NV 2.0.

I've added the additional 2 rows for total room for 4. I haul 3 bikes over long hauls 700 miles round trip.

Great rack but you will need real honest receiver, if you plan on maximum capacity usage.

mtbninja

Jul 13, 2020
Canberra, Australia
I actually get compliments about the look of my Kuat NV 2.0.
I really wanted the Kuat, but from what I can see, it wont work around the fenders I have on the bike. They are not overly huge ones, but they will get in the way of the clamp point on the front wheel I believe. And even on other bike, the basic ones on those.... Which is a shame..
I was only after a 2 bike fit one, but I don't think it'll end up doing the trick sadly.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I really wanted the Kuat, but from what I can see, it wont work around the fenders I have on the bike. They are not overly huge ones, but they will get in the way of the clamp point on the front wheel I believe. And even on other bike, the basic ones on those.... Which is a shame..
I was only after a 2 bike fit one, but I don't think it'll end up doing the trick sadly.

Just switch to short
IMG_5751.jpg

fenders

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I did 3 weeks road trip with Thule T2. Solid but big and bulky. I now have 1 up. It’s much more compact and light. However the bike move around more but seem secure.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles