higher spec alum or lower carbon

Alexnavyblue

Oct 25, 2020
Falkirk
Hi guys.

Looking for some advice on first emtb purchase. Thinking about a trek rail 9.0 or 9.7. Alternatively an orbea fs h10 or I think its an h20 thats the slightly more expensive part alum/carbon frame.
My dilemma is, buy a higher spec alum or a lower spec carbon?
Thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Unless weight is a concern for you then go for the alloy. A carbon frame may only save a kilo at the most, probably less . And maybe very little if the carbon fibre and the resin they use are low spec. Find out what the weight difference is before you buy. If your view is that CF is fragile, then you may get more peace of mind with alloy.

With alloy, there are fewer concerns with rocks pinging off the frame, clamping in workstands and on bike racks etc. Carbon fibre is extremely strong and stiff, but it doesn't do too well on point loads and crushing. It can be repaired and there are several companies that will do an excellent job. I don't know for certain, but I'll bet that the alloy frames are cheaper to repair.

However, have you seen the Santa Cruz video of their workshop guys trying to break a CF frame against the corner of a workbench and a concrete wall. They fail repeatedly as they urge each other on to greater and greater efforts. Finally it breaks, but not before an alloy frame would have been wrecked.

My first CF bike was a risk, a YT Capra. I was super careful with it at first, but after a few weeks I though "bollocks, just get on with it!" I have had two other CF bikes since then and I have stopped worrying. I use helicopter tape in all the usual places and a double layer on the underneath of the downtube. But that's it.

Alexnavyblue

Oct 25, 2020
Falkirk
Unless weight is a concern for you then go for the alloy. A carbon frame may only save a kilo at the most, probably less . And maybe very little if the carbon fibre and the resin they use are low spec. Find out what the weight difference is before you buy. If your view is that CF is fragile, then you may get more peace of mind with alloy.

With alloy, there are fewer concerns with rocks pinging off the frame, clamping in workstands and on bike racks etc. Carbon fibre is extremely strong and stiff, but it doesn't do too well on point loads and crushing. It can be repaired and there are several companies that will do an excellent job. I don't know for certain, but I'll bet that the alloy frames are cheaper to repair.

However, have you seen the Santa Cruz video of their workshop guys trying to break a CF frame against the corner of a workbench and a concrete wall. They fail repeatedly as they urge each other on to greater and greater efforts. Finally it breaks, but not before an alloy frame would have been wrecked.

My first CF bike was a risk, a YT Capra. I was super careful with it at first, but after a few weeks I though "bollocks, just get on with it!" I have had two other CF bikes since then and I have stopped worrying. I use helicopter tape in all the usual places and a double layer on the underneath of the downtube. But that's it.

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for talking the time to reply.
Tbh I never gave thought to bike racks/stands but that makes sense.
The difference in weight isn't that much anyway.
I like the thought of the higher spec trek rail 9.0 or orbea wild fsh10. Just need to choose which one. Also contemplating the focus jam2 6.9 or kona process. Decisions/decisions ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
For my first emtb I bought a Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE, which translates as a CF framed 29er. With heavier tyres and tubeless converted and pedals it weighs 20.4kg. I have a slightly heavier saddle and heavier grips too than standard. Even with the TEC pack on (2.2kg) it is still lighter than many of the new alloy Jams, especially the ones with the 630Whr batteries. In TEC pack format, it has 756Whr and weighs 22.6kg

Right now, I'm struggling to decide what emtb I would buy instead of this one. Until I know, I'm keeping it. :love:

Alexnavyblue

Oct 25, 2020
Falkirk
For my first emtb I bought a Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE, which translates as a CF framed 29er. With heavier tyres and tubeless converted and pedals it weighs 20.4kg. I have a slightly heavier saddle and heavier grips too than standard. Even with the TEC pack on (2.2kg) it is still lighter than many of the new alloy Jams, especially the ones with the 630Whr batteries. In TEC pack format, it has 756Whr and weighs 22.6kg

Right now, I'm struggling to decide what emtb I would buy instead of this one. Until I know, I'm keeping it. :love:

You reckon focus are a good shout from your own experience Steve?

Superkoochy

Patreon
Oct 19, 2018
Bathgate
Alloy frames are quite hard to repair, I put a huge hole in my specialized enduro down tube (carbon) with a piece of shale and a company in scotland fixed it and paint matched it for £160.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You reckon focus are a good shout from your own experience Steve?
Overall, very much so. But it depends upon what you want. It suits my need for a lightweight aggressive trail bike with 150mm travel. The geo suits me too and I like the way the Shimano Steps e8000 delivers the power.

I had an early problem with the 4.5A charger (extensively covered on this forum), that was sorted to my satisfaction by swapping it for a 4Amp charger. Along the way Focus decided it was a battery problem (it wasn't) and gave me a new one! (The fact that this is the opposite of your experience has not escaped me). I have had two problems caused by bolts coming loose. One was a motor mounting bolt that unscrewed itself and chewed up the spider. The other was a the lower shock mounting bolt coming loose. Both fixed under warranty, but I partly blame myself. I should have checked earlier and/or seen the problem sooner. But there you go. Bolts coming loose could happen to any bike, its not news, so I should have been prepared.

That's the full extent of my problems. No motor issues, no hub issues, nothing falling off, no cracks, no bearing failures. The bike has been an absolute delight. :love:

Alexnavyblue

Oct 25, 2020
Falkirk
Alloy frames are quite hard to repair, I put a huge hole in my specialized enduro down tube (carbon) with a piece of shale and a company in scotland fixed it and paint matched it for £160.
That sounds like a cracking deal. You must have feared the worst when you realised you had a hole in your down tube!

Alexnavyblue

Oct 25, 2020
Falkirk
Overall, very much so. But it depends upon what you want. It suits my need for a lightweight aggressive trail bike with 150mm travel. The geo suits me too and I like the way the Shimano Steps e8000 delivers the power.

I had an early problem with the 4.5A charger (extensively covered on this forum), that was sorted to my satisfaction by swapping it for a 4Amp charger. Along the way Focus decided it was a battery problem (it wasn't) and gave me a new one! (The fact that this is the opposite of your experience has not escaped me). I have had two problems caused by bolts coming loose. One was a motor mounting bolt that unscrewed itself and chewed up the spider. The other was a the lower shock mounting bolt coming loose. Both fixed under warranty, but I partly blame myself. I should have checked earlier and/or seen the problem sooner. But there you go. Bolts coming loose could happen to any bike, its not news, so I should have been prepared.

That's the full extent of my problems. No motor issues, no hub issues, nothing falling off, no cracks, no bearing failures. The bike has been an absolute delight. :love:

Customer service with Focus sounds good. That's a definite positive pal ?

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi Alex

I have had both an orbea fs wild mteam and currently a trek rail 9.8 xt. I had issues with the orbea and swapped to the rail. Both are great bikes though. Shop around and see what prices you can find. I ordered mine from Progression bikes in Dunkeld, Adam gave me an awesome deal, £5780 for my Rail which was £1000 off list, 2nd battery at trade price which was £580. I would buy local if you can with updates etc.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Aluminium! :ROFLMAO: I'm an inverted snob - function over marketing and form all the time. All those bolt interfaces needed with cf and any ding is a potential future weakness.

Alexnavyblue

Oct 25, 2020
Falkirk
Hi Alex

I have had both an orbea fs wild mteam and currently a trek rail 9.8 xt. I had issues with the orbea and swapped to the rail. Both are great bikes though. Shop around and see what prices you can find. I ordered mine from Progression bikes in Dunkeld, Adam gave me an awesome deal, £5780 for my Rail which was £1000 off list, 2nd battery at trade price which was £580. I would buy local if you can with updates etc.
Thanks pal. Im between Falkirk and Airdrie so not too far from Dunkeld. Sounds like this shop is worth a call

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
Thanks pal. Im between Falkirk and Airdrie so not too far from Dunkeld. Sounds like this shop is worth a call
I emailed/called a few shops and got prices blazing bikes were a good price, then called Adam and done the deal, although this was before covid, good luck fella

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
My understanding is the carbon rail frame is around 2kg lighter.

Better components work better, and last longer.
-Lyrik much better than the Yari ( you can upgrade to lyrik internals later for £300ish which you will very likely end up doing so add this to the price of the 9.7 ).
-GX better than NX but NX works.
-The elite dropper is a fair bit better according to the reviews.

A lighter bike is a bit easier to lift on and off the car etc, and aggressive riders get a benefit on downhills as easier to throw around although it is relative as it is 24kg vs 22kg which is very very very heavy vs very very heavy if we were talking about analogue bikes

A heavier ebike makes no difference on the uphill due to the motor.

Something to be aware of if you buy a small or medium carbon rail frame. This is not a risk for large or x-large frames.

carbon is the heart, and aluminum is the head ?

One last thing to consider is you can upgrade everything except the frame. Depends on whether you upgrade your bikes.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
My understanding is the carbon rail frame is around 2kg lighter.

Better components work better, and last longer.
-Lyrik much better than the Yari ( you can upgrade to lyrik internals later for £300ish which you will very likely end up doing so add this to the price of the 9.7 ).
-GX better than NX but NX works.
-The elite dropper is a fair bit better according to the reviews.

A lighter bike is a bit easier to lift on and off the car etc, and aggressive riders get a benefit on downhills as easier to throw around although it is relative as it is 24kg vs 22kg which is very very very heavy vs very very heavy if we were talking about analogue bikes

A heavier ebike makes no difference on the uphill due to the motor.

Something to be aware of if you buy a small or medium carbon rail frame. This is not a risk for large or x-large frames.

carbon is the heart, and aluminum is the head ?

One last thing to consider is you can upgrade everything except the frame. Depends on whether you upgrade your bikes.
2kg difference! That doesn't sound right.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
2kg difference! That doesn't sound right.

The 2 bikes below. These are where the components differ. Most of the components on the 9.7 would be heavier ( except the tires ), but the bike is 2.1kg lighter.

RAIL 9RAIL 9.7
FrameAluminiumCarbon
ForkLyrik 1994gYari RC 2072g
ShockRockShox Deluxe RT3RockShox Deluxe Select+
TyreBontrager SE5 Team Issue, 2.6" - 1060gBontrager XR5 Team Issue, 2.6" - 970g
ShifterSRAM GX Eagle single-click, 12-speedSRAM NX Eagle single-click, 12-speed
Rear derailleurSRAM GX Eagle 290gSRAM NX Eagle 340g
CassetteSRAM XG-1275 Eagle, 10-50, 12-speed 450gSRAM PG-1230 Eagle, 11-50, 12-speed 615g
ChainSRAM GX Eagle, 12-speedSRAM NX Eagle, 12-speed
SeatpostBontrager Line Elite Dropper 555gBontrager Line Dropper 595g
HandlebarBontrager Line, alloy, 35 mm, 27.5 mm riseBontrager Comp, alloy, 31.8 mm, 15 mm rise
StemBontrager Line, 35 mm, Knock BlockBontrager Rhythm Comp, 31.8mm, Knock Block
BrakeShimano SLX M7120 4-piston hydraulic disc 631gShimano hydraulic disc, MT501 lever, MT520 4-piston calliper 669g
WeightM - 23.91 kg / 52.71 lbs (with tubes)M - 21.83 kg / 48.13 lbs (with TLR sealant, no tubes)

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yes, still around 1.5kg taking into account the tyre setups and the bars? I'm still not sure I'd believe that 1.5 kg is due to the frames alone - but I'm pretty cynical when it comes to big business :rolleyes:

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
T
Yes, still around 1.5kg taking into account the tyre setups and the bars? I'm still not sure I'd believe that 1.5 kg is due to the frames alone - but I'm pretty cynical when it comes to big business :rolleyes:
The fork is a bit lighter on the 9 as well. I'm really not loving the component spec on the 9.7, especially for the money. You'd really have to want the carbon frame to buy it, and be prepared to spend further to upgrade it over time

Alexnavyblue

Oct 25, 2020
Falkirk
Probably leaning more towards aluminium now tbh. Just need to decide whether the trek rail 9.0 or the orbea fs h10 is the best bet. Still outside chance of focus jam 2 6.9 but the waiting list is crazy

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Trek rail available to hire so you can try it out. Best to buy a bike you have ridden.

This outfit might have them as well, phone number on the website to confirm.

Orbea Wild is available at Grizedale in the lake district...phone to book though as they have other bikes.

Last edited:

Alexnavyblue

Oct 25, 2020
Falkirk
Trek rail available to hire so you can try it out. Best to buy a bike you have ridden.

This outfit might have them as well, phone number on the website to confirm.

Orbea Wild is available at Grizedale in the lake district...phone to book though as they have other bikes.

Thanks Neil ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would just buy the best bike for you within your budget, doesn't matter what its made of, as many crap carbon bikes as there are good alloy ones

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles