Newer base model OR older higher end model?

goofy

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, AR
I’m shopping for my first e-mtb and am on a tight budget. Looking to stay between $3k-$4k. As such, I’ve been shopping the used market. I recently saw a few bikes listed for around the same price.
  • 2020 Giant Stance E+
  • 2018 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp 6Fattie
I know the Specialized was more expensive when it was new, and probably considered higher end than the Giant. But it raised a general question for me. Because e-bikes are still relatively new, are you typically better off buying a “newer lower end” model OR an “older higher end” model, given the technology is changing a lot from year to year? I realize this is not a simple yes/no answer, but maybe using the two bikes listed above as an example, is there a rule of thumb to follow?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
when looking at emtb, there are two things going on; 1. the e system, and 2. the mountain bike.

Very simply, how much has the e system that specialized uses changed?

With that e system - it might still be covered with around 2 years warranty? Specialized added an extra 2 years warranty on certain model year e mtb's because the motors are problematic and short lived. If this has a reasonable warranty - that is a good thing for any emtb - all brands of e-system are prone to failures.

On the mtb side - it seems the trend for fat bikes has diminished. Do you want a fat bike? Do you like that bike?

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
There seems to be quite a few people on this site who buy the high end model (new), and then set about replacing brakes, fork, shock, bars, wheels, gears etc. You wonder then, why they didn't start with the low end one.

CodyDog

Oct 22, 2020
Colorado/Texas
Words of caution, be careful when buying a used ebike. Lots of things going on with an Ebike. It's very difficult to determine how the battery and system have been taken care of. I strongly advise , if you go the used route, to have the prospective purchase checked out my an LBS.

As far as lower versus higher end, such things as better battery life and better components can be critical to one's riding style. It's more cost effective to buy better quality upfront than replace items to gain quality later.

As far as a fattie, I remember I wanted a fat tire bike and purchased one a few years ago. I soon found a 2.6" tire to be much more fun and thrilling to ride than a 4" tires after the newness ran out with the fattie.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles