Hi there from Bath UK! (and any suggestions for small-sized E-MTBs?)

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
Probably like quite a few here, I'm getting back into MTB after many (30+!) years away, and realizing with a heavy heart that my fitness is all but utterly gone. I used to do a bit of XC on a beloved AMP B4, which is in need of a total rebuild so I got myself a full-sus regular MTB (27.5" XS)- which is great fun, but hard work on the uphill bits ;-]
I'm looking longingly at EMTBs, but as a short-arse rider my choices are limited, so I'm researching what's out there.
Any advice on small frame EMTBs for the vertically-challenged (160cm) would be most welcomed! :-]

For ex. are 29" wheel bikesa bit ambitious, should I just look at 27.5" wheels? Mullet setup?

Cheers, Andy

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Probably like quite a few here, I'm getting back into MTB after many (30+!) years away, and realizing with a heavy heart that my fitness is all but utterly gone. I used to do a bit of XC on a beloved AMP B4, which is in need of a total rebuild so I got myself a full-sus regular MTB (27.5" XS)- which is great fun, but hard work on the uphill bits ;-]
I'm looking longingly at EMTBs, but as a short-arse rider my choices are limited, so I'm researching what's out there.
Any advice on small frame EMTBs for the vertically-challenged (160cm) would be most welcomed! :-]

For ex. are 29" wheel bikesa bit ambitious, should I just look at 27.5" wheels? Mullet setup?

Cheers, Andy
I ride a 2019 Giant Trance (27.5" wheels) in a medium. According to Giant's size tables at 5'6" (168cm in foreign) I should have a small. I sat on a small and found it far too cramped so bought a medium, which feels right.
You might be just the right size for a Giant small, but the only way you can know for sure is to sit on one.

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
Thanks, that's a good point. I got a Marin Rift Zone in size XS as that's what the spec said I should get, but it does feel a little small and twitchy on the climbs. Sadly there aren't many places round here that have any small bikes in stock to try out, so I ended up buying online.
I did get a size Small 29" wheel bike previously (Voodoo Bizango) but the standover height was way to tall for me so that had to go back - hence my question about 29"wheel bikes in general - are they usable for smaller riders? Or was I just unlucky in that particular bike?
Just seeing if smaller folks have had good experiences with a certain model.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Cube has a good range of bike sizes. My wife isn't the tallest and is happy with hers. The only disadvantage of the small bikes is that the 750Wh battery doesn't fit in.
The 140 mm travel bikes have 29 inch wheels, and the 160 mm travel bikes have 27.5

Justinitus

Feb 15, 2022
Wiltshire UK
Standover heights, reach etc vary depending on brand and model. For example, I’m generally a medium on a Giant, just about a large on a Cube and definitely a large on a Trek. That’s what feels comfortable for me. The only way to find something you’ll feel good on is to try them.

You’ve got the Trek dealer in Bath, the very helpful and knowledgable Luke at Avon Valley Cyclery by Bath Spa station who now do Cannondale as well as Giant, plus TT Cycles in Bradford on Avon who are Cube and Scott ebike dealers.

I love pootling around Bath area, so might see you about sometime!

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Standover heights, reach etc vary depending on brand and model. For example, I’m generally a medium on a Giant, just about a large on a Cube and definitely a large on a Trek. That’s what feels comfortable for me. The only way to find something you’ll feel good on is to try them.

You’ve got the Trek dealer in Bath, the very helpful and knowledgable Luke at Avon Valley Cyclery by Bath Spa station who now do Cannondale as well as Giant, plus TT Cycles in Bradford on Avon who are Cube and Scott ebike dealers.

I love pootling around Bath area, so might see you about sometime!

A key thing for me is the relationship between seat post height and dropper insertion depth. The medium YT can take a 180mm post slammed to the collar, whereas a Kenevo SL which has better clearance on paper, has rubbish insertion depth.

Also, YT have a place in Surrey (The YT Mill) where you can demo. Not toooo far from Bath.

Last edited:

AndyMac

Jul 13, 2022
UK
Hey, thanks for all your help, it's really appreciated!
Yep, good point about seat post Militantmandy (great name, btw ;-) - on my Marin Rift Zone, maybe in part because the frame size is so small, the seat insertion was rubbish, I couldn't drop the seat low enough, so I had to fit a dropper post just to feel safe on descents :-/
Thanks for the bike shop info Justinitus - where do you ride in Bath, btw? years ago we used to ride around the pepperpot area, I'm guessing that's still a thing? I've been going to the Forest of Dean, but it'd be great to know some more local trails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles