HI all New to eMTBs, but not MTBs

highrisedrifter

Oct 25, 2022
Los Angeles
Hi all

I'm buying my first eMTB and i'm doing my due diligence research before doing so.

I've built many bikes over the years, used to work for a bike store building and repairing bikes, and personally own a Trek Fuel EX 8, Giant Trance and a GT Aggressor, all of which are a few years old now. Plus twenty four old school BMXes (Multiple Haros, Skyways, GTs, Raleighs and so on).

I'm either getting a Luna Z1 or a Luna X2 but I can't decide which one to get.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
They look sensible enough in terms of suspension design and components. However, a look at the site shows a geometry chart that does not include reach, head angle or seat angle. This would not fill me with confidence that this is a bike designed for hard riding.

highrisedrifter

Oct 25, 2022
Los Angeles
They look sensible enough in terms of suspension design and components. However, a look at the site shows a geometry chart that does not include reach, head angle or seat angle. This would not fill me with confidence that this is a bike designed for hard riding.
Thanks. I'm older with a leg injury so I think my days of 'hard' riding are behind me. Now it's mainly uphill rough trails and some long uphill fire roads.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Do you have a feel for how the frame geometry should fit you? Before my most recent new bike order (on the way), I sat down with a friend and we went through every single number. I was comparing to other bikes we own, and to the bike he owns and how I feel about it. IE, "the Fantic fits great here, but I'd like a few inches more reach." It's hard to advise you without knowing your size and preferences. Luna seems to have a good rep and you can probably have a conversation with them.

highrisedrifter

Oct 25, 2022
Los Angeles
Do you have a feel for how the frame geometry should fit you? Before my most recent new bike order (on the way), I sat down with a friend and we went through every single number. I was comparing to other bikes we own, and to the bike he owns and how I feel about it. IE, "the Fantic fits great here, but I'd like a few inches more reach." It's hard to advise you without knowing your size and preferences. Luna seems to have a good rep and you can probably have a conversation with them.
No I don't have any idea how they feel yet. I'm near the Luna HQ in SoCal so I reached out to them for anywhere that might offer test rides.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
The Z bikes are good bang for the buck, as far as geometry, they're the same Chinese clone frames being used by others, I don't think the geometry is that horrible. Look on the forum for threads about the Dengfu frames/bikes.

highrisedrifter

Oct 25, 2022
Los Angeles
I wouldn't overthink it unless you are really pirnikity .
I'm not. While I decided on the Z1, it's more than I wanted to pay for a bike, so I'm just going to buy a Dengfu E22 and build my own.

The bike part will be easy, and there's enough guides and people to ask about the electric part.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I'm not. While I decided on the Z1, it's more than I wanted to pay for a bike, so I'm just going to buy a Dengfu E22 and build my own.

The bike part will be easy, and there's enough guides and people to ask about the electric part.
That's the thing the electric part is still relatively young and still has loads of problems to sort out. Plenty of amateur experts on here to help or hinder you .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles