hi, new member from perth, western australia

cazisk

Jun 10, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
hey guys, thx for letting me join.

currently lookin around (white waiting for cash) to buy my first emtb. have had ebikes before but no mountain bikes. never had full suspension bikes, etc. lookin at getting into it.

im currently intrested in turbo levo, trek rail 7, or haibike allmtn but just doing abit of research to see what i wanna get.

cazisk

Jun 10, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
hey guys been watching alot of youtube videos, reading articles, etc. trying to decide if im really doing the right thing spending that much on my first emtb? should i even start with a hard tail? or even of lesser value bike? untill my skills catch up to the bike then upgrade? or am i saving money in the long run buying one of higher spec the first time?

the fact that im a total noob at mountain biking in the general i dont know if im doing the right thing, also how are these bikes regarding resisting damage on falls, etc. i weigh 105kg lol so i thought i should stick with alloy frames at least?

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I always advise people to spend as much as they can afford, obviously going into debt for a bike or spending thousands is a big leap, but only you can answer that one. However (and this is my personal experience) going full suspension will cost more but it’s much nicer on the ass. So in essence spend what you can afford and go full suspension. WRT your other question, I crash mine all the time, the bike is fine, no real damage al all, There will be times where you’ll bend something like a mech, but its no different to an acoustic bike. When I was looking for my bike, they were retailing at £7250. No way was I paying that. So I waited a while until I either got used to the cost, or the cost came down. The latter happens.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There is no definitive route for us to take as we're all different. We end up riding differently, preferring different terrains, ride lenghts and so on.

I was a total noob to mtb/emtb 18 months ago. Didn't want to spend much and knew that "crap" would be inflating my abilities. I only wanted to plod along fire roads anyway.

I bought a cheap emtb hardtail. This wasn't very reliable, and being hub motored was a bit of a disaster on the handling front once I'd discovered down hill trails which, combined with incompetence, led to fractured ribs and numerous other injury's.

About 4 months in, that went and I moved to an e8000 hardtail. I was a firm believer that you didn't need FS, it was for pansies. HT would make me a better rider and I would be faster than anyone on an FS bike with my surgical precision and the god like skill I would develop.

The plus sized tyres made up for the lack of rear suspension. The bike was a dream to ride in comparison. My confidence was through the roof. Second ride and I was going faster on part of a downhill track than any snail ever had in history. My confidence was way above my ability so I had a huge OTB over a fast drop onto rocks... Concussion and fractured pelvis.

5 months later .. I bought a Kenevo.

The Hardtails certainly helped me learn to ride and respect the terrain, the flip side of that, the Kenevo, if I'd bought it first, would have saved me from so many falls. In my case, if I knew I would discover downhill trails and end up riding the bike so often, I would have, unwillingly, spent the extra and gone for an FS bike to start with. This would have saved a stack of cash and a lot of pain !

I still crash a lot, but at least it's no longer measured in "crashes per mile".

In terms of stength. Most bikes are suprisingly well built. I've watched in horror as all three bikes have cartwheeled off down the side of rocky drops and into trees, mainly to find bent brake levers and things.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
hey guys, thx for letting me join.

currently lookin around (white waiting for cash) to buy my first emtb. have had ebikes before but no mountain bikes. never had full suspension bikes, etc. lookin at getting into it.

im currently intrested in turbo levo, trek rail 7, or haibike allmtn but just doing abit of research to see what i wanna get.
Welcome sandgroper!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles