Hi from MA

skypickle

Jul 18, 2019
MA
Located in central Ma, I've had a Stumpjumper and a Niner. As anyone here knows there is lots of singletrack - some challenging like Leominster state forest and some more picturesque like groton memorial town forest. I enjoyed the stumpjumper - I could throw it around and even pop it up in the air ( I wear bike shoes with clips). Then the 29" fad came and eventually I caved and got a niner. The bigger wheels made downhill better, climbing was a little easier, but I felt more ponderous. Maybe it's my imagination because I was older but I always felt the stumpjumper was more nimble, better acceleration. I am not a speed freak so bombing downhill is not my thing-anyway, there are not a lot of fire roads and trails like out west where you can see forever. It's like our ski trails, narrow, twisty and more technical in the trees. So now I am looking a an eMTB. I now know nothing (as Schulz used to say - probably none of you are old enough to remember Hogan's heroes on a thing we used to watch called TV). But a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and the internet and youtube is telling me to get a specialized comp, a pivot shuttle, or a norco VLT-1. So for anyone from the northeast who is familiar with our trails, do you have any experience to share if you've ridden any of these bikes? I cannot imagine that carbon adds that much to the kind of riding I do. 500 grams is nothing compared to the water and stuff I put in my pack. I can save that weight by emptying my bladder before the ride. Fine tuning the suspension is a splitting hair exercise at low speed. At speed tho I could tell the difference between fast and slow rebound. So I don't know what a 'fox factory shock and fork' would add over the fork specialized puts on their bike.

Yes I know that NEMBA is anti eMTB and supported legislation banning eMTBs . But I think that is a decision born out of ignorance. They imagine little kids without helmets flying off of jumps at 30 mph. I am an old fart who needs some help getting up climbs that I can't do anymore. Class 1 eMTBs are limited to 20 mph and the assist cuts off. I routinely used to hit that downhill on fire roads.So yes, I have been warned.

But getting back to the business of living and chasing happiness, I am looking for a reliable bike from a dealer. I am NOT going to deal with some mail order company when I am using new tech without a track record.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Oi, wots dis not old enuff crap ..... long time viewer of Hogans Heros @60yrs & counting ;-)

I started riding at around 40 and went through an astounding number of different second hand bikes before I bought a couple flash new ones. Imported my first 29er about 2008 (a Surly Karate Monkey Singlespeed) then went through a bunch of 29er hard tails before I picked up a Scott Genius in carbon. Had a loaner 2018 eGenius 27.5 for a few weeks last year until my new 2019 eGenius 29er arrived. A few weeks ago I took a gamble and picked up a Turbo Levo Comp - was concerned about the Sram brakes and the Rockshox suspension as I have not had happy experiences with either. Still think Sram brakes are crap but am quite impressed with the RockShox suspension. Was going to replace with Fox but am happy to leave them on.
Kind of feel the same way about working with my LBS over online shopping as I know that if I have a warranty issue and there is a wait for parts my LBS will loan me something if needed.

skypickle

Jul 18, 2019
MA
Thanks rusty. I finally decided on a turbo levo comp. We had some specials here as the model year comes to a close. I am just getting it dialed in. I am not fond of the brakes coming from the tight deore xt I had on my previous bike. But maybe i'll get used to them. The suspension is great on the trails.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Am tossing up whether to get a 700Wh battery for my Levo Comp or sell it and upgrade to a Turbo Expert. If I just grab a new battery I will possibly borrow some Sram Code brakes and try them or will swap to Shimano M80002 which I know have awesome modulation and good braking power.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles